Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is baffling and strange.
I have had cause to replace the drivers side high beam (brights) bulb.
- obviously because the light wouldn't illuminate.
But here's the thing, new globe secured and fitted according to the owners manual.
Started the car, low-beam is fine, the parking lights (or DRL) are fine, the passenger side bank of lights are also fine. High Beam won't light up.
As far as I can tell there isn't a fuse protecting individual globes, but I'm willing to be told otherwise.
So the globes are packaged in pairs, took the globe out of the car (taking all due care to NOT touch the glass) and swapped in the other bulb.
Still no high beam.
I do a fair bit of country night-time driving so I sort of need this globe to fire up.
Where and what are my next likely steps to correct this situation ?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,118 Posts
As far as I can tell there isn't a fuse protecting individual globes, but I'm willing to be told otherwise.
No, your right about the fuses.

The bulb needs two things to make it work. A power supply (from the fuse) and an earth/ground. You need to figure out which of the two is missing.

I assume the high beam lamps will use an H1 bulb? If so, connect the black meter probe to battery negative and switch on the high beam lamps.
Now touch the red meter probe to the power supply terminal of the bulb and see if there is 12V. If there isn't 12V then the problem is on the supply side of the circuit.

If you get 12V on the supply terminal, next touch the red probe onto the metal base of the bulb. If you get 12V there too that means the lamp ground is open circuit/broken.

If you get 12V on the supply terminal and 0V on the metal base of the bulb, that suggests the bulb itself is open circuit/blown.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts