Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Washed the car yesterday and I just noticed on the driver side, the front bumper cover inside the wheel well where that air duct is, the bumper cover has kinda pulled away from that air duct.

I looked in my shop manual and online , but it does not show or describe how that bumper cover and air duct are assembled together. I removed the clips around the duct and tried to see if there was anything that is somehow forcing the two to separate , and couldn't find anything ..

Hows your all fitment of the bumper around this area?

Link to video of the issue..

https://1drv.ms/v/s!An2vCduInvzShTklz2Ft4nVePbGi

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
No screw holes or tabs. I'd use a dab of urethane at a couple spots.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Well,,, I do have a 17 on hold for part,, I can take look if I remember

Maybe 5/60 may cover, provided it a material - workmanship concern

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,,, I do have a 17 on hold for part,, I can take look if I remember

Maybe 5/60 may cover, provided it a material - workmanship concern
Hi sbr711

Friendly reminder.. Thanks

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went to local dealerships and walked around the lot, and I found two cars at each lot that have the same issue.. Three were 2017 and one was 2018...

I also email my dealership Service Manager and his feedback was that Hyundai would consider this to be normal , he said it's plastic and with heat and cold , it might change its shape overtime ...

I was not impressed at all with his feedback..

·
Registered
843 Posts
So I went to local dealerships and walked around the lot, and I found two cars at each lot that have the same issue.. Three were 2017 and one was 2018...

I also email my dealership Service Manager and his feedback was that Hyundai would consider this to be normal , he said it's plastic and with heat and cold , it might change its shape overtime ...

I was not impressed at all with his feedback..

Sounds like from what you observed, that this is not an issue. You initially stated that it appears to have "pulled away" from the bumper cover, but without a record what it looked like when new, you don't know that it pulled away. If it was always like that, then it didn't pull away, and I'm not sure what else the Service Manager could have told you.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
So...We are to understand that Hyundai makes trim that is supposed to deform and pull away from it's underlying component parts and this is normal and expected.
Keep this in mind when purchasing a POS junk Korean vehicle.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like from what you observed, that this is not an issue. You initially stated that it appears to have "pulled away" from the bumper cover, but without a record what it looked like when new, you don't know that it pulled away. If it was always like that, then it didn't pull away, and I'm not sure what else the Service Manager could have told you.
I don't think you understand the problem... your logic would also apply to let's say engine knocking.. Like saying, if you don't recall the engine was knocking when you picked it up from the dealer at the time of purchase, then it's normal ...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So...We are to understand that Hyundai makes trim that is supposed to deform and pull away from it's underlying component parts and this is normal and expected.
Keep this in mind when purchasing a POS junk Korean vehicle.
Lol.. Good point !! .. Going on use your line back to my dealer ..

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Lol.. Good point !! .. Going on use your line back to my dealer ..

You use the line and have someone else use a club. My money is on the club getting their attention. LOL...sort of..

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't think you understand the problem... your logic would also apply to let's say engine knocking.. Like saying, if you don't recall the engine was knocking when you picked it up from the dealer at the time of purchase, then it's normal ...

That is not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that you don't know that it pulled away from the bumper unless you know for sure that it was flush when new. You yourself observed that there were two other vehicles that had the same "issue" on the lot. Do you know for sure that these two parts were flush when you drove it off the lot?

Quite a different thing from an engine knock.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that you don't know that it pulled away from the bumper unless you know for sure that it was flush when new. You yourself observed that there were two other vehicles that had the same "issue" on the lot. Do you know for sure that these two parts were flush when you drove it off the lot?

Quite a different thing from an engine knock.
Doesn't matter if it was flush when I bought it ... The other side is flush, and the other 20+ Elantra I saw were flush on both sides also

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
That area on my '17 Elantra Limited (Alabama build) seems to be secured with a spot of adhesive (or perhaps double-sided tape?). Don't know for sure, but that's what it looks like from what I can see.

If it were me, I would check the entire fascia to make sure an installation clip or fastener was not missing somewhere. If those are all intact, I would stick the gap down with one spot of appropriate adhesive in the gap's center and call it good.

Don't forget that these plastic fascias on ALL cars expand & contract slightly with temperature (as shown in many on-line repair videos), so the fits are never perfect on ANY car (including Lexus, BMW, Caddies, Benz, etc.).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sorry. I understand what you are describing, and I understand that you believe it is a problem. I do not think it is a problem. I looked at mine on the driver's side, and I honestly don't know if it is flush or not, because I don't see it as important. As long as the exterior of the "fender" part of the bumper cover looks right from the outside, the vent is doing its job, and the parts are secure, what appears to be about about a 1/8 inch gap between the vent and the interior of the bumper cover is a non-issue. It could be that it is a "floating" part--attached only to the front of the vehicle, and not at all attached to the inside of the wheel well.

We'll have to agree to disagree: OP appears to think this is a serious manufacturing defect. Some have derided the country of origin of the manufacturer and cited this as an example of shoddy design or workmanship. I tend to assume that the way this vent is designed it is probably normal. Automotive parts that are next to other parts are not always designed to be flush, especially in locations of a vehicle that are generally not visible to anyone who is not looking for them (such as the interior of a wheel well--these parts are black for many reasons). Perhaps if it were flush, that might cause a problem. It might result in rubbing or squeaking, and then we'd all be complaining about some mysterious noise in the front end.

It's not important to me which opinion is right--I certainly might be wrong. I'll follow the thread to see if there's any resolution, but I won't belittle or deride someone else's assessment or opinion on the matter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts