Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has been asked before for other Sonata models, but I have not seen it for a 2005 Sonata. My driver's side door does not latch closed, unless I slam it hard enough to potentially damage it. I sprayed WD-40 inside the door mechanism, but no luck.

Is this a recall issue? How time-consuming and expensive is it to fix?

Thanks.:angry::angry:

·
22,793 Posts
Sounds like it either needs: 1. what you've already done (WD-40). Give it time to work. Or, 2. Maybe the door frame latch needs adjustment. Look inside the door area where the latch mechanism is. Stick a screwdriver blade in there and wiggle it a bit while squirting a bit more. Remember, the "WD" stands for "water displacement." If you really want to lubricate a moving part, try graphite or while lithium grease in a spray can. Wal-Mart, $4, Liquid Wrench brand. Comes with the "easy to lose" applicator nozzle. "Easy," because I've misplaced my fair share over the years! I think someone should market those little red straws in a 12-pack. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fixed. I could not see it, but the latch bolts had fallen out. A local mechanic swapped out two bolts from the other door latches for the missing ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.