Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know some of us have noticed that the driver's seat sits a little high... but that doesn't really both me as I like sitting high, but for some reason it feels as though the left side of the seat sags a little more than the right when you sit in it. It's not super noticeable, but it's particularly noticeable when you make a right turn and it doesn't seem to want to hold you. Anyways, does anyone else notice this in the Sonata?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Haven't noticed that, but I gotta say, these seats sure are hard. My butt will have to get used to how hard these things are. I'm hoping that they will soften up or it will be a loooonnnnnggggg ownership experience!

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (akalucas @ May 12 2010, 06:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322234
i found the leather seats to be firmer than the seats on the SE and found the SE to offer better support than gls.

Same, test drove the limited and GLS, own the SE and the seats feel more comfy than the other two models. I would not have gotten the car if I had to live with the limited seats, they were to stiff for my liking.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been putting a very small cushion at back of seat where the recline-able back meets the seat. I could not adjust the lumber support (too high or too low, not sure) to make my back comfortable. The small wedged in cushion solves my backache problem, especially for 2 long 10+ hour trips I had from Alabama to Dallas ( I have 5000 miles on it already) ...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can anyone recommend some kind of car "pillow" that I can purchase in Canada? I am having difficulty adjusting to how hard the seats are on long trips. It digs into my right leg and causes me some pain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
i know this is kinda late, but yes, I to had an issue with my seat in my sonata.

take a string and measure from points all across the seat. the back support was about 9mm further back on the left side compared to the right. so it gives you a sense of it not holding you. once i was able to prove that my body position was off about 5-8 degrees to the left instead of straight on towards the steering wheel they took care of me.

the replacement seat i got is perfect and no complaints.

if it helps i have a 2001 limited silver/black leather. the seat i got out of the other car was a black on black.

now, i still have an issue with the pass seat bottom. I have over 60+ hours in the driver seat without 1 wrinkle. and maybe 10 hours in the pass front seat and the leather is getting bunched up like the padding underneath is to thin or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My butt is just peachy in the SE. It gets kinda hot sometimes since its leather and that weird mesh thingy.... but overall i have no beef with it. The headrest could be more comfy though...i took a nap in my car to kill time and i had neck pains after only an hour of a power nap.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A good friend of mine is a partner/manager in a large Ford/Honda dealership in MD and told me yesterday that they just got a '11 Sonata GLS with 1,000 miles on it in trade for a new car. The guy traded it because he didn't like the seats. Luckily, I find the seats in my SE to be just fine.

Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm going to agree with the other SE owners here and say my seat seems level and is plenty comfortable for me. I haven't gone on any long drives yet, so we'll see if I'm singing the same song after a 3 hour drive...but for now, I'm very happy with their comfort/support.

·
Registered
603 Posts
A friend of mine had a complaint about the seats in his Mazda and took it to a local upholstery shop. For around $150, they took the leather covering off the seat, and shaved about an inch of the foam seat out and replaced it with some type of memory foam, then reinstalled the leather seat covering. He said it was night and day better.

Some of you might want to look into something similar. $150 is a small price to pay for comfort that looks stock. Sure you could save money and get a seat cover or pad that does the same thing, but it would look tacky and could interfere with the airbags in the seat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed, seats in Limited are hard! Leather seats in my 2001 Ford Sportrac are much better. Apparently you have to choose between a hard suspension in the SE or hard seats in the Limited. Maybe we should have all bought the GLS! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have to say as much as I love my Sonata the seat in my limited is the most uncomfortable seat I have ever had in a car. On extended drives my lower back and my
legs hurt pretty bad. Now I do have a bad back but never had issues like this in my previous cars. I wish I had seats like my brother's G35. Now those are some
nice seats and comfy seats.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think that the "stiffness" in the Limited seats might be due to the fact that they are full leather.
To avoid wrinkles and deformation of the leather ,they might have had to stiffen up the foam.
According to this post, the less leather the softer the seat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.