Hyundai Forums banner

driver's power window switch

53K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  wingsfan19 
#1 ·
For the past few months, I think the spring in my driver's power window switch has been broken. Meaning if I push down on the button it doesnt pop back up. This hasn't been a big deal, I just have to remember to manually pull the switch back up.
Also if I close the door too hard, the switch might go down on its own. If this happens, I have to pull the switch back up and down to get the window to work again. Today, I found that it did not work at all and I couldnt get the window to go down at all.

Since it seems to be getting worse, I'd like to look into fixing this myself if possible. I've never fixed anything (outside the engine area) before. Are there any special tools I need to get the plastic covers off? I don't want to break anything.

#2 · (Edited)
I don't know that they fit into the category as "special" where tools are concerned. But the plastic "trim" tools at the auto parts stores will certainly help in preventing the plastic trim from being scratched or marred during removal. I haven't taken mine off so I don't know what is involved or how difficult it is. These trim tools come in all kinds of configurations. Also good for removing map light/dome light lens for bulb replacement. Trim around the console, stuff like that. About $6-10. Harbor Freight also carries them if you have one nearby.

Some members have used a small flat blade screwdriver with the tip wrapped with electrical tape.

Just take your time when you approach doing this. That's the key. If you rush the job, you're destined to be disappointed in the outcome. Once you get it off, you should be able to figure out the problem and arrive at a fix. May need a "dealer only" switch replacement.

#4 ·
I wouldn't recommend it. The power window switch panel isn't that expensive; I'd just replace the whole unit rather than fuss with the individual switch.

Either way you'll have to remove the door panel. This YouTube goes pretty slow and into a lot of detail. BTW, I completely agree with his recommendation on the door panel tool set.

It should be obvious how to remove the switch panel.

#7 ·
Pulling the door panel is not difficult. I figured it out on my own. Recommend you replace the switch unit, as it is not repairable.

I had to pull my door panel, when the cable broke to the power window unit. I replaced the cable unit, only to have the driver's window come out of its track, and fall down inside the door 4 months later. I am not sold on Hyundai quality. These things should never happen.

#8 ·
I finally got the part. I now realize I need to remove the entire door panel. I had thought that I only needed to remove the little panel that held the switches. Hopefully I dont break anything else in the process.

I bought it in 2005 so the bumper-bumper portion is over. They wanted $250 to fix it.

#9 ·
I was alble to install the switch and my window now works. However, it seems that the door lock is intermittently working. Meaning if I press unlock or lock it seems to do nothing, but sometimes it works. I tried the passenger side and it seems to behaving the same way though. Could one switch interfere with the other?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.