Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first it was intermittent. I only noticed there was a problem when the car alarm wouldn't arm. Only recently realized my door wasn't locking because the problem got worse. Most of the time I have to lock it manually but sometimes it will work just fine with the remote.

Any idea what this would cost at the dealer to get fixed?

·
Registered
337 Posts
the title says with remote, but post suggests it's with remote and door lock button.

it that accurate?

do interior lights go off after door is shut?
if they dont I'd say it's the door switch causing the problem. the little button that tells the car if the door is open/shut.

if the lights work fine, I'd say the door lock actuator is slowly going out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the title says with remote, but post suggests it's with remote and door lock button.

it that accurate?

do interior lights go off after door is shut?
if they dont I'd say it's the door switch causing the problem. the little button that tells the car if the door is open/shut.

if the lights work fine, I'd say the door lock actuator is slowly going out.
the door still opens up after I try to lock/arm the car but arms fine after I manually lock it.

I don't pay much attention to the lights but I assume they do go out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The actuator is weak.
hyundai door actuators are terminally defective, they fail so frequently I dont know how there has not been a class action suit. they are labour intensive to replace and not cheap either.
just get in the habit of locking the drivers door by hand after you open it to get out. thats what I do.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hyundai door actuators are terminally defective, they fail so frequently I dont know how there has not been a class action suit. they are labour intensive to replace and not cheap either.
just get in the habit of locking the drivers door by hand after you open it to get out. thats what I do.
Is there someone I can call to demand answers? I bought a car with keyless entry now I have to lock it manually like my **** 99 Cavalier? Unacceptable. If it's expensive to replace they ought to cover it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Is there someone I can call to demand answers? I bought a car with keyless entry now I have to lock it manually like my **** 99 Cavalier? Unacceptable. If it's expensive to replace they ought to cover it.
Warranty? You are at least 7 years old if you posted in the correct forum.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Warranty? You are at least 7 years old if you posted in the correct forum.
I'm not even the first owner. The only warranty I think I have is for the engine.

Still the car's 7 years old. I've owned cars twice as old with keyless that work just fine. And Scooby said they're crap and there should be a class action suit.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Doesn't look like a project for the faint of heart, and I'd certainly want to avoid breaking my drivers side window so may want to get a pro to replace this actuator.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'm not even the first owner. The only warranty I think I have is for the engine.

Still the car's 7 years old. I've owned cars twice as old with keyless that work just fine. And Scooby said they're crap and there should be a class action suit.
Well you said this.

If it's expensive to replace they ought to cover it.
That would be warranty.
As for your class action it's dead in the water. There's no way a lawyer or firm would ever take the case. No way to get more than 1 year legally unless it's 'warrantied' and it's not.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you said this.

That would be warranty.
As for your class action it's dead in the water. There's no way a lawyer or firm would ever take the case. No way to get more than 1 year legally unless it's 'warrantied' and it's not.
Since when do you need a warranty for a class action lawsuit?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Since when do you need a warranty for a class action lawsuit?
The law will not find in favor of a suit that claims product defect when that product is 'simple maintenance'. This is the category of parts that are less than 500 dollars and last from 90 days to 1 year based on product type. Electronic devises like these actuators are in the 1 year type. Unless they have many of these failing within a year they will do NOTHING and neither will a law firm.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The law will not find in favor of a suit that claims product defect when that product is 'simple maintenance'. This is the category of parts that are less than 500 dollars and last from 90 days to 1 year based on product type. Electronic devises like these actuators are in the 1 year type. Unless they have many of these failing within a year they will do NOTHING and neither will a law firm.
Actuators are not simple maintenance especially not in this model you have to take the whole **** door apart.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And I just got an estimate from the dealer...$510 for the whole job. $360 for labor for what I'm assuming is 3 hours of work at $120/hr.

Call a lawyer.
Not sure that's cost feasible considering how much lawyers cost these days, best I can do is make a complaint and hope it turns into a class action lawsuit if it happens to enough people.

Still a lock actuator burning out after 7 years? Most of my cars had keyless entry, and they were all daily drivers with high mileage. There's no reason this should have happened this early unless they're terrible at making actuators.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts