Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have been trying to track this fault for days, light works on all other doors except the drivers, have swapped the passenger switch to drivers side and probed the loom under the fuse box on the floor and I'm getting 6.53volts but the light isn't working even if I short these out, has anyone else had this problem. Or know how to solve it? Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Hi all, have been trying to track this fault for days, light works on all other doors except the drivers, have swapped the passenger switch to drivers side and probed the loom under the fuse box on the floor and I'm getting 6.53volts but the light isn't working even if I short these out, has anyone else had this problem. Or know how to solve it? Cheers in advance.

Best practices for requesting help:

* If you haven't done so fill in your vehicle info and profile page. Shows up to the left
* Be sure you are in the correct forum for your vehicle.
* Do a seach for your problem. A lot of stuff has been asked and answered.
* Do not double post for the same problem.
* Give the model year....Engine size...transmission type (auto or standard)
* VIN number can be very helpful.
* Did you buy the vehicle new, if not, how many miles were on it when purchased? How many miles on it now?
* Describe the problem the best you can.
* Tell us what has been tried, if anything.
* If the vehicle has been to a repair facility it would be nice if you can scan or take picture of the bill and attach it to the post.
* If your vehicle is under warranty you should have the dealer check it out. If it's an issue they see many times they will generate a safety recall or do a TSB. This is how they know.

This information can save a lot of time and get you the answers you need much faster.

Thanks,
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, OK, it's a 1997 Hyundai excel X3 sedan, 1.5litre sohc. Only new here so all advice taken.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,771 Posts
Does your car have a door ajar warning chime, or a lights on warning chime? If so, does the chime sound switch on & off when you open & close the drivers door with the ignition or the headlights on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi auto spark, it doesn't, it's standard wiring to all four doors, it's only the drivers side not working, the wiring is reading less than 12v and I'm assuming it should be, all other doors work I know the drivers side switch works it's just not coming on, I don't know if this is a common issue with these cars, it just seems weird.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,771 Posts
Is the wiring on the driver's door switch the same colour as the other door switches?

The driver's door switch is usually used for controlling the warning chime so it isn't directly connected to the courtesy light circuit, unlike all the other door switches. There is usually a blocking diode between the driver's door switch and the courtesy light circuit to prevent any of the other doors from setting the chime off. I know your car doesn't have the chime sounder but maybe it's still wired up with the diode. If the diode was open circuit that would prevent the driver's door switch from operating the courtesy light. Unfortunately, Hyundai don't tell you where the diode is. They are usually just taped onto the loom somewhere (with yellow tape to make them visible). I'd guess probably behind the footwell trim or behind the dash at the bottom of the 'A' pillar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Auto spark, cheers for that, will do a search and see if I can find it, I've got other wiring to put in so while I've got the carpet up and dash apart it will be the perfect time to locate it and replace it, cheers again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts