Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,
Has anyone had a problem with their drivers side power window? The car (Tucson 2016) is low mileage (10km) and the window hardly used.
I went out yesterday and tried to open the window and couldn't get it to work. I had disconnected the battery the week before to do some electrical work but I don't think that should have affected anything. All of the other windows are working - and I still checked the fuses and they are all good.
When I pull up or push down on the switch I do hear a click but nothing else. Don't know if it is a loose connection or the power motor has gone.
Has anyone had any similar problems with their car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
You want a guess?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
If you are going to shotgun parts I would go with the switch.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So why this?
I wanted to know if the problem is a common place one and also seeing what they had to do to fix it. Might help identify where I should look first. Might have been an easy fix that I could try as well.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I wanted to know if the problem is a common place one and also seeing what they had to do to fix it. Might help identify where I should look first. Might have been an easy fix that I could try as well.
Your window don't work. That's all we are given. Without knowing what the actual problem is how are we to say if it's a common problem. Windows not working is common. Your problem may or may not be a common failure item. The failure of the switch is more likely that the BCM being bad but all this is speculation. I still have to ask.
Why this post if you are just going to take it to the shop anyway?
Do you want to do some testing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why this post if you are just going to take it to the shop anyway??
I thought this forum was a nice place where we Tucson owners could just quickly post issues and glean feedback from fellows before going to the shop. Because most of the posters here ultimately end up there, anyway.

Now back to OP: a few weeks ago, out of the blue, I've had 3 out my 4 windows stop working.
Quarantined, car parked in the sun and haven't been used for like 5 days. I went downstairs to have a quick drive to the supermarket. Started the engine and lowered all the windows to ease the heat, 30 seconds later I wanted to close them and 3 of them just won't: both fronts and rear right.

Went to my mechanic (no dealer where I live) and apparently mini-motors are fine, but the gear that goes between the motors and the glass of the windows (see attachment) had apparently swollen. Yes, for all the 3 windows, simultaneously. I guessed it was due to the heat, but I could be wrong, even if I can't think of something else.

Got it replace and all has been fine since then.

Of course, YMMV.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I wouldn't say it's common as I don't remember hearing any state they had a problem. But a failed motor and/or regulator isn't uncommon across all brands.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Clicking from the mechanism, not the switch, right?

I would also expect that something in the regulator is jamming or broken. These are usually fixable with new parts but the job can be fiddly.

Why do most people go to the dealer for repairs? Because these cars are almost all still under warranty but it is good to know what might be the problem before setting out or even fixing it in five mins at home :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Or the glass is stuck to the rubbers and the over current is tripping. I'd consider having someone apply some light downwards pressure whilst operating or pulse the switch the switch in the down position. I have had a car where the windows had not been opened so long that they needed some help to break free.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey,

Thanks for all the feedback.

I thought this forum was a nice place where we Tucson owners could just quickly post issues and glean feedback from fellows before going to the shop. Because most of the posters here ultimately end up there, anyway.
Now back to OP: a few weeks ago, out of the blue, I've had 3 out my 4 windows stop working.
Quarantined, car parked in the sun and haven't been used for like 5 days. I went downstairs to have a quick drive to the supermarket. Started the engine and lowered all the windows to ease the heat, 30 seconds later I wanted to close them and 3 of them just won't: both fronts and rear right. Went to my mechanic (no dealer where I live) and apparently mini-motors are fine, but the gear that goes between the motors and the glass of the windows (see attachment) had apparently swollen. Yes, for all the 3 windows, simultaneously. I guessed it was due to the heat, but I could be wrong, even if I can't think of something else. Got it replace and all has been fine since then.
Yeah, I am in agreement with you about the Forum etc. Thanks for the idea about the gears. That may indeed be a possibility. Will certainly check it out. The gears that you got as replacement, did you get those online? I have been searching for them and haven't been able to locate it as yet.

Clicking from the mechanism, not the switch, right?
I would also expect that something in the regulator is jamming or broken. These are usually fixable with new parts but the job can be fiddly.
Why do most people go to the dealer for repairs? Because these cars are almost all still under warranty but it is good to know what might be the problem before setting out or even fixing it in five mins at home :)
Yes, I believe it is the mechanism. When I pull up the switch I don't hear anything immediately, and then maybe a second later I hear a click.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Or the glass is stuck to the rubbers and the over current is tripping. I'd consider having someone apply some light downwards pressure whilst operating or pulse the switch the switch in the down position. I have had a car where the windows had not been opened so long that they needed some help to break free.
If the rubber is stuck to the glass, I should still be able to see some minor movement in the glass when the switch is activated. However, there is no movement at all.
I haven't had the problem of the glass sticking to the rubber before and the car wasn't parked up long 1.5 weeks without window movement, but I did try your suggestion. The window is fully closed, but I pulled down on the side of the window and operated the switch and still got nothing. Thanks for the idea though.

I see either the switch, gear/regulator and at worst the motor. Will maybe pop the door trim off and see what I can find.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quarantined, car parked in the sun and haven't been used for like 5 days. I went downstairs to have a quick drive to the supermarket. Started the engine and lowered all the windows to ease the heat, 30 seconds later I wanted to close them and 3 of them just won't: both fronts and rear right.

Went to my mechanic (no dealer where I live) and apparently mini-motors are fine, but the gear that goes between the motors and the glass of the windows (see attachment) had apparently swollen. Yes, for all the 3 windows, simultaneously. I guessed it was due to the heat, but I could be wrong, even if I can't think of something else.

Got it replace and all has been fine since then.

Of course, YMMV.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk
Hi There,
Where you able just to replace those or did you ahve to replace the entire part? I have the same issue but for all 4 windows :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Good Afternoon,

I just wanted to update you on my issue. I got the window to start moving again, but I don't know for how long the window will stay operational. Basically I believe the problem was a sticking plastic cog.

I popped the trim off, tested the switch, and wiring to the motor and they were fine. I took off the motor and tested it was fine, but in taking the motor off, I heard a popping sound like something released. The motor also exposed the plastic cogs that Dave Hilway identifed (see quote/picture below). I believe this was my problem as the cog looks like it had stuck - In the picture I attached (at the bottom) you can see some white residue on the sides but this might be lubrication. I poked the cog and it seemed to move freely. And when I put back the motor the window was operational again, but seemed a bit more noisy. I will have to see if I can source a regulator repair kit to replace the cog for when it decides to crap out again.

Of course, YMMV.
In case anyone wants to try fixing their own, I have put some information sources below that maybe of some help:

(1). Removing Door trim - Hyundai Tucson Interior Door Panel Removal & Speaker Upgrade Guide - 2016, 2017 & 2018 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

(2) Removing Door Trim and Inner Panel - for Hyundai I30 - very similar for the Tucson 2016, has some good information.
(a)
(b)
(c)
The last one is for a sonata, it has some little bits about the last set of cables and how to get access to that last connection which maybe helpful

(3) Diagnose if the Switch or the Motor is bad :

(4) This one is on the Regulator setup. I can't confirm that our regulator is like this, but it give you an idea on what the cog is doing.
(a) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E53-x85Uhc

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know its a bit late but I have the 2016 Tucson in Trinidad same as OP. Those regulators started going in September last year. Started with the Front right, then the front left went in Dec 2019 and in May of this year during the lockdown both rear ones went within two weeks of each other.Based on some feedback a cheaply made regulator seems to be a Hyundai/Kia thing here in the Caribbean (RHD market).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know its a bit late but I have the 2016 Tucson in Trinidad same as OP. Those regulators started going in September last year. Started with the Front right, then the front left went in Dec 2019 and in May of this year during the lockdown both rear ones went within two weeks of each other.Based on some feedback a cheaply made regulator seems to be a Hyundai/Kia thing here in the Caribbean (RHD market).
Thanks for the reply, did you get the regulator replaced or just the plastic cog for the front windows? My cousin also has a Tucson 2016 and they have had repeated problems on the drivers side window, and then the front passenger window failed and after reparing that, their rear windows also stopped working I think maybe January this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts