Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son hit a curb on driver side, we replaced the lower cntrl arm and lower ball joint. In reverse the tire is straight up, going forward the tire leans to the outside on top, badly!!! what else needs to be replaced??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Curious to see how this turns out, as I'm still learning a lot about different car systems and repairs. Only dealt with base VW suspensions so far which of course is a bit different setup.

Guess it depends on how the curb was hit too. Maybe the strut on that side was compressed too much for the bump stop to protect it and the bearing/insulator got damaged? I'm not really clear how the spring seat affects things, but either way, my guess is to also inspect the top part of the strut is what I'm saying.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but was there a conclusion to this? I just changed the entire front suspension on my wifes 2006 Elantra. Was fine for a short while then realized I needed to change the whelle bearing as it was bad. So since the hub is not expensive I replaced the wheel bearings and hubs. Now on the drivers side the tire leans inward drastically at the top when moving backwards and out when moving forward? I have followed the advice in this forum such as shaking the wheel and looking for anything loose and found nothing. Any other advice?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but was there a conclusion to this? I just changed the entire front suspension on my wifes 2006 Elantra. Was fine for a short while then realized I needed to change the whelle bearing as it was bad. So since the hub is not expensive I replaced the wheel bearings and hubs. Now on the drivers side the tire leans inward drastically at the top when moving backwards and out when moving forward? I have followed the advice in this forum such as shaking the wheel and looking for anything loose and found nothing. Any other advice?
Is it a press-in bearing (this is an Accent forum so not familiar with the Elantra)? If so, perhaps it was damaged during installation if this wheel camber problem did indeed only begin after replacing it. Check the bearing for play.

Another possibility if camber is adjustable on the Elantra (it is not on the Accent) is that the camber bolt is loose so the steering knuckle is moving when the car is shifting forward/reverse.

Did you replace the strut? If not, check that as well since that attaches to the top of the knuckle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts