Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if others have this. I have a 2011 Limited, in black if it matters. When I close the drivers door when leaving the car, it has a tinny feel to it. When it latches you can hear a buzzy sort of tone to the door closing. However, the passenger door has a nice solid thunk you'd expect from a new car.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mine sounds as if it almost doesn't latch but it does. I kinda sorta know what you are referring to but it still sounds solid to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's still a solid close, but there's a sound of looseness to it, hard to describe. When I shut it while stand to the back a little (near the rear drivers door) you can see the lower door panel shake quite a bit. I think that's what I'm hearing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (mbm @ Jun 29 2010, 01:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337190
Yeah, it's still a solid close, but there's a sound of looseness to it, hard to describe. When I shut it while stand to the back a little (near the rear drivers door) you can see the lower door panel shake quite a bit. I think that's what I'm hearing.
I've also noticed that shake toward the bottom when closing the driver and passenger door and I must say it really doesn't look good. Just something I've never seen before, and I didn't catch it when shopping for the car.

It's almost like the bottom of the door isn't fully attached (which I know is definitely not the case) or that the metal is just so darn thin that it wavers or quivers a bit when closing the door.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i think i know what you mean. if i close my driver door with solid force, it sounds flimsy/hollow. it sounds really cheap. at this point i'm just pushing it closed from now on because i feel like i'm going to cave the side of the door in if i close it with any force.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,279 Posts
Agree with all. Its more pronounced in my garage since the GF has a 2010. Hers sounds solid and shuts with no "hollowness". Just the idiosyncracies of the car I guess...

·
Registered
77 Posts
You know.............my driver door does sound more tinny then my pass door? Not bad, but noticably not as solid a "thump" as the pass door.

Wonder what could be in the pass door making it sound more solid???

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
A lot of times when the door is assembled, the worker drops screws down inside. Instead of going through the trouble of trying to retrieve the screw, they simply get another one. Seen it lots of times.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 6 2010, 12:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339256
A lot of times when the door is assembled, the worker drops screws down inside. Instead of going through the trouble of trying to retrieve the screw, they simply get another one. Seen it lots of times.
I've found extra screws too inside doors and trunk. It happens.

I've also seen people rear back and slam car doors as hard as they can. I have a buddy
whose doors always rattle because he slams them all the time. He usually keeps a car
1-2 years, so he doesn't care.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ Jul 6 2010, 01:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339262

I've also seen people rear back and slam car doors as hard as they can. I have a buddy
whose doors always rattle because he slams them all the time. He usually keeps a car
The sound of a wayward screw or two loose inside a door would be markedly different than a "hollow" or "tinny" sound as described.

And as far as hauling off and slamming the doors, I'm sure I don't come close to doing anything like that. It's just a normal swinging the door closed that produces the door panel shake, and it is quite noticeable.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ Jul 6 2010, 02:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339262

It's people like this and others that make me cringe and always do a double take when looking at used cars....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Both of my front doors make the same "cheap" sound. I often try to close the door really softly so that I don't hear it. I know it is just a cosmetic thing. After 10 years or so I will probably get used to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:) My concern is that in 10 years the outer skin will be falling off. Unclear why a difference between driver and passenger, time for the dealer to take a look at this (and the wandering on the highway)... still love it.

QUOTE (jdubs @ Jul 6 2010, 07:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339356
Both of my front doors make the same "cheap" sound. I often try to close the door really softly so that I don't hear it. I know it is just a cosmetic thing. After 10 years or so I will probably get used to it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Did you try readjusting the ft door latch, Sometimes this can eliminate a noisy sounding closing door. ( for some types of noise)

My trunk had a similar noise problem after the upper non adjustable latch was replaced. Dealer couldn't do it correctly so I had to redo their repair with a proper adjustment, no more closing noise.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Again I must have a low threshold. Before buying this car one of the things I checked was how the door sounded when it closed. To me, it has a nice solid, not tinny, not cheap sound. Like Hyundai knew exactly how to make the door sound so people like me who come along to "Test" the quality would say to themselves "Wow, this car sounds like quality." What is wrong with me? Are my assessment skills that far askew? Am I really not as discriminating a consumer as I like to think I am? :wacko:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same issues with the sheet metal at the bottom of the doors rattling and shaking back and forth when I close the doors. This was not the case 2 months ago when I bought it. Its funny because the salesman actually pointed out how nice the sound of the doors closing was and how it was like a more expensive car. It was impressive. ...but now it sounds like garbage and the thing shakes and looks bad. I took it in to the dealer and the service advisor told me he had seen this before. The mechanic said there was no adjustment he could make. I then called Hyundai Consumer affairs and am now waiting on a manager of some sort to call me back. It would truly be a shame if they cannot fix this problem. I have been a real promoter of this vehicle since I got it, but now it is embarrasing to take people out in it. They close the door and it just sounds cheap and junky.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Because of this thread i went out and tried closing my doors in many different ways from lightly closing, to slamming it. Everytime it feels solid as can be. Not sure why mine seems different but it definitely feels authoritative.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Jul 10 2010, 06:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340493
Again I must have a low threshold. Before buying this car one of the things I checked was how the door sounded when it closed. To me, it has a nice solid, not tinny, not cheap sound. Like Hyundai knew exactly how to make the door sound so people like me who come along to "Test" the quality would say to themselves "Wow, this car sounds like quality." What is wrong with me? Are my assessment skills that far askew? Am I really not as discriminating a consumer as I like to think I am? :wacko:

I, too, am often left scratching my head at some of the complaints people post, so I understand what you are saying. However, the door thing seems pretty obvious to me.

For me, it's not so much as the sound, but the door panel shake when the door is closed. Does it on driver and passenger side. Watch the lower part of the door panel as you close, and when the door hits you'll see the metal flex.

Now, there might be massive girders of steel behind those panels, but it's something like this that gives people the perception of cheapness. It's not enough to make me worry too much, but I don't like it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts