Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a i20 (2012). The driver door lock/unlock with key, but only sometimes with the remote. It looks as if the lock/unlock button inside the car only go in halfway. Can any one please give me some advise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello and welcome, does your i20 autolock when the speed reaches 40kmh, and if so does the lock look like it goes in all the way. Also when the key is removed after driving, do the doors auto unlock all the way? If they behave normally, i.e. moving all the way unlocked and locked, just after or while the car has been driven, it might indicate a battery issue. But if it locks/unlocks half way with the engine running, it is more likely to be a solenoid or adjustment issue. Another question, do the indicators flash when you use the remote to unlock or lock the car? Also is it only the drivers door which is looking halfway lock/unlocked? And a last question, How old is the remote battery?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Typical electric door lock is a very tiny, sometimes made in China permanent magnet motor with super cheap beryllium copper sliding contacts in place of real brushes. Drives a rack and pinion, and the motor is force to stall each time, that really draws the current burning up the commutators. Or that cheap plastic rack binds.

Some are part of the lock mechanism it self, others use a wire like a chain, okay to pull a chain, but not worth a darn for pushing. Weather strip on the outside of the window hardens in the sun, salt water can leak in causing corrosion. Usually not a problem if you trade it off in three years, feel this is the solution they are giving us.

On this new stuff, these crazy locks are working over a dozen times a day, this is because we can't think, we are idiots, so the doors automatically lock, even backing these things out of your garage. Do have a number of life cycles, have no idea what these are. Never had problems with manual door locks before, let's call this the latest problem we never had before.

Owned many vehicles with zero door wires, problem free, but what about today? Power windows, door locks, mirrors, some are heated, directional signals, side alerts, speakers, some with powered rear door safety locks, am I forgetting something? Quite a huge bundle of cable, plastic coated that really gets hard in cold weather. With this, open the door very slowly and as little as possible.

One reason why I love a coupe, two less doors to worry about, but have to keep the wife happy. Also, was much nicer when they were using screws, best time to work on these thing is on a hot asphalt driveway with the sun pouring down, or those plastic tabs will break off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a i20 (2012). The driver door lock/unlock with key, but only sometimes with the remote. It looks as if the lock/unlock button inside the car only go in halfway. Can any one please give me some advise.
Mine too does the same... Can someone help us out with this

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sometimes lock and unlock halfway??? If so, the actuator motor has gone bad.

Clean and rechecked it. If working, your lucky. If not, you have to buy new complete door actuator.

Recently, the same halfway operations arose either when lock with key or remote and I bought new door actuator. Now, all ok.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes, absolutely you have to remove the door panel cover from inside.

Unscrew some bolts first from outside. I think it's 3, just on the outer side of the door.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Remove door panel from inside.

And unscrew 3 bolts on the edge of the door where it lock with the car body.

Then, your good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts