Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Sonata SEL. I feel like the accelleration in comfort mode is really sluggish. In Sport Mode its a whole different story and I love how it shifts and the throttle response. I am wondering if its ok to drive in sport mode all the time. I am very gentle with the car and do not Beat it. I have heard that driving in sport mode can hurt your car but I cant imagine that they would make the option if it wasnt made to be used.

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Use it the way you like it.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
Driving in any of the available modes is fine.
I drive my car in sport 90% of the time and a lot of that is leaving the transmission in manual shift mode (shifter moved to the left) which makes the car hold the gear to a higher RPM before shifting or shifting using the paddle shifters (if you dont have paddles same thing to use the shifter forward or back).

Eco = possibly better MPG but keeping the rpm lower -shifting into higher gears sooner, also makes steering lighter more help from the power steering. My driving on Hwy and 65-85 most of the time I get the same MPG in normal or even sport if Im not heavy footed)

Normal = is programmed for everyday and kind of a between ECO and Sport

Sport = holds the gears to a higher RPM before shifting and always starts from stop in 1st gear, gives the most responsive and acceleration,usually worse MPG but not always it you drive conservatively. It also makes the steering a little firmer. Sport and manual shift mode will allow faster manual shifts using either the paddles or moving the shifter forward or back to shift, but even if you dont manual shift and you are in manual mode the transmission will shift on its own

I drive about 130 miles a day using Sport and get 28-30 MPG unless Im pushing it a little more. In ECO on a 250 mile drive to Las Vegas I got 31 mpg coming home in sport I got 29mpg, but i had a lot more responsive acceleration and I prefer the way the steering feels in sport mode

·
Registered
92 Posts
When you leave it in manual, will the car upshift or downshift when it revs too high? Kind of like a self-preservation mode? I've been dying to know this but am too afraid to test it in application since I have no clue how to drive a manual...
Driving in any of the available modes is fine.
I drive my car in sport 90% of the time and a lot of that is leaving the transmission in manual shift mode (shifter moved to the left) which makes the car hold the gear to a higher RPM before shifting or shifting using the paddle shifters (if you dont have paddles same thing to use the shifter forward or back).

Eco = possibly better MPG but keeping the rpm lower -shifting into higher gears sooner, also makes steering lighter more help from the power steering. My driving on Hwy and 65-85 most of the time I get the same MPG in normal or even sport if Im not heavy footed)

Normal = is programmed for everyday and kind of a between ECO and Sport

Sport = holds the gears to a higher RPM before shifting and always starts from stop in 1st gear, gives the most responsive and acceleration,usually worse MPG but not always it you drive conservatively. It also makes the steering a little firmer. Sport and manual shift mode will allow faster manual shifts using either the paddles or moving the shifter forward or back to shift, but even if you dont manual shift and you are in manual mode the transmission will shift on its own

I drive about 130 miles a day using Sport and get 28-30 MPG unless Im pushing it a little more. In ECO on a 250 mile drive to Las Vegas I got 31 mpg coming home in sport I got 29mpg, but i had a lot more responsive acceleration and I prefer the way the steering feels in sport mode
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
In manual mode the car will upshift at red-line on it's own. It is set up to be nearly idiot-proof shifting up. It will downshift as you come to a stop. I drive my wife's 18 Sonata 2.0T Sport in Sport mode whenever I drive it. She will sometimes as well.

I drove my 14 Sonata SE 2.0T with paddle shifting most of the time and car seemed to adjust shift points to mimic my manual shifting habits, to some degree.

Using Sport mode will not hurt anything.

ominousone

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've used Sport Mode for most of my 37,000 miles as well. Huge difference is overall performance and minimal MPG hit as long as I manually shift before 5000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Which drive modes are availble for each trim level on the Sonata

I just picked up a 2019 Sonata Limited ultimate, the drive mode button only turns Sport mode on or off, it does not provide any other drive mode, I can't find any information in the manual or Hyundai web site that indicate that I should only have sport on or off as the only drive modes. Dealer says sport is the only option. The manual says Drive modes if equipped and lists all of the drive modes.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
I just picked up a 2019 Sonata Limited ultimate, the drive mode button only turns Sport mode on or off, it does not provide any other drive mode, I can't find any information in the manual or Hyundai web site that indicate that I should only have sport on or off as the only drive modes. Dealer says sport is the only option. The manual says Drive modes if equipped and lists all of the drive modes.

Thanks
I did not know they even had a 2019 released yet?

Is your car the 2.4 L or the 2.0T?
The 2.0 T has the new 8 sp transmission and has Comfort- Sport- Eco - Smart modes it was my understanding Smart automatically selects between eco, comfort and sport depending on driving conditions. This seemed odd to me since in sport vs eco mode it not only changes transmission shift points and responsiveness but also steering so as you drive the steering will change its feel if the car automatically changes modes.

If you have the 2.4L it has the 6 sp and for 2018-19 it is my understanding it only has Comfort-Sport and Normal mode, it will only show ECO or Sport on the dash, normal mode will not light up anything and it will always default back to Normal every time the car is started

Driving in Sport is OK 100% of the time, even driving in Sport and using the Shiftronic to manual mode (moving the shift lever to the left) will allow you to manual select and hold the gears longer but if you forget to shift it will still shift before it hits redline, it is not a true manual mode like some of the higher performance cars that will hold the gear to redline and then govern the engine to stop from over reving (my Infiniti G 37s did that , it would hold the gera and not up shift but would downshift before allowing the engine to lug to much)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t think it’s any different than driving a little more aggressive. It wouldn’t be any worse. I have a 2018 sonata and normal mode feels like an after thought when they put it together. The car feels like it’s unsure what to do and feels like it just switches between sport and eco if that makes any sense so I drive in either sport or eco. The car saves the last mode it is in thankfully so I don’t have to switch it every time I drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you, it is a 2.4L. The 2019's are out now, a 2019 Sonata limited rolled off of the truck while I was at the dealership on 9/24, The salesman gassed it up and I took it for a drive, it took a bit for them to get the color I wanted from another dealer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Because in Sport Mode, it can adversely affect your MPG. It's Hyundai's way of making sure you want your vehicle in Sport Mode, and saving you gas, essentially.

ominousone

·
Registered
30 Posts
Because in Sport Mode, it can adversely affect your MPG. It's Hyundai's way of making sure you want your vehicle in Sport Mode, and saving you gas, essentially.

ominousone
Basically what Ominousone said. They get graded on the EPA MPG numbers based on the default mode when the car is started.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
398 Posts
Really enjoy the Sport mode with the turbo. While driving in town, above ~35-45 mph, I shift lever to manual mode and then paddle shift on up into 7th or 8th gear to keep the RPMs down. Still have the sport tune without the air intake box droning.

It holds selected gear until you accelerate (or decelerate low enough) to mandate 5th or lower gear. And still always takes off in 1st.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been playing with the drive modes. Is there any way to get it to stick. It rests to normal every time I turn it off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
I've been playing with the drive modes. Is there any way to get it to stick. It rests to normal every time I turn it off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
See post 13 above.

It will always default on start up to normal mode because that is what Hyundai used for EPA ratings. There is no way to change that

·
Registered
234 Posts
I drive exclusively in Sport mode cause if it's in Eco or Normal it's so sluggish that I actually have to drive it harder. Sport is more responsive & gets up to speed much faster so I don't have to beat on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts