Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some really bum advice from an Auto Zone about trying to clear the Check Engine light on my Accent. Found out it was the gas cap causing the problem but when I put in a new cap and it didn't clear I asked one of the clerks if they could recheck and clear it for me. They said they could check but they were not allowed to clear it. Said I could disconnect my battery for a couple of minutes and it would clear it. The only problem is it cleared the information on my computer and I failed emissions here in AZ. The Emissions guy told me I needed to get the Drive Cycle so that the computer would "reboot". Anyone out there know what the drive cycle is? Thank you for any information and feed back.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the cliff's notes version is after clearing a code the computer needs to collect data from the car running for a while to ensure emissions systems are working correctly. the timeframe is really to see if the error is going to come back again - meaning problem not fixed.

without that drive time, you will fail any emissions test that goes to the ECU first - regardless if there is a problem or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts