Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can I pass DEQ? I have driven for 400 miles and the sensors are still unready. I called Hyundai and they said they've seen this before and to drive around with a pizza box in front of the radiator. Has anyone had this problem, and does anyone have any ideas? I need to to pass by Monday as I have to pay a ticket for expired tags (due to not passing DEQ.)

It's a 2004 elantra with 51k miles.

Sensors that are showing as "un-ready"
1) Catalyst
2) Evaportaive
3) O2 sensor

And I have NO unplugged my batter or done any work (besides oil changes) since February 2010 and it's November 2010.)

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
They are not sensors...

Correct wording is "Readiness Tests",,, this is subsystem self testing the PCM does to determine system is functioning proper..

Catalyst monitor -- logic of upstream and downstream ox sensors to verify catalyst is operating proper

Evaporative -- test of fuel tank system to determine you is not venting raw HC to atmosphere... you can leave fuel can in shed at home for lawnmower sit open with no caps on,,, but .gov/EPA says we are not allowed to emit vapors, hence the self test to make sure cap is secure and no other holes/leaks that would not allow system to hold pressure when tested.

Ox Semsors -- time logic test

Hyundai has a published drive cycle chart giving particulars of how to drive to help effect the tests to complete

1 - 2 of 2 Posts