Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a little squeal on start up in my '07 3.3 and was looking to replace drive belt, tensioner, and idler pulley with kit sold on Rock Auto. Is this a complicated endeavor or just mostly a bolt-on procedure?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
When you pull the belt, rotate the idler manually and assure that it operates smoothly and without any bearing play. If it feels good, and you're getting decent resistance when trying to move the tensioner, just replace the belt.

That said, if you ever start to hear groaning that sounds like a power steering pump instead of an idler, but has nothing to do with the steering (turning the wheel lock to lock makes no difference in the sound), that's when you need to deal with the idler. It's an odd duck. When the bearings on the idler go, they are more apt to groan than squeal. First one fooled me until I got a stethoscope out and actually found the silly thing.

The original unit on your vehicle has been replaced by a modified version -- that's if/when you ever actually need to change it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I ordered and got these parts for 2007 3.3L
I plan to install when it's warm weather.

- PULLEY-IDLER 252863C250 20.70
- Serpentine belt 25212-3C100 25.10
- PULLEY-DAMPER(crank pulley) 231243C201 38.20
Total $84 +Combined Shipping $43 = Total US$127 @KORAPS.COM

Main reason is the engine knocking noise when it's very cold start driving for 2~3 minutes. I suspect it's the idler pulley.
And other drive belt and damper parts are just preventive replacement.

Also, I got the tensioner pulley's ball bearing, ZKL brand "6203 2RS", for $5 @eBay,
in order to be ready to press out and in the bearing if I find it's gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
canderson:
I need one. Do you have the updated part number? Thank you.
Assuming you have the appropriate vintage vehicle (none in your profile!), for the serp idler pulley, it's undergone several iterations:
Original # = 25286-3C100
"Newer" # = 25286-3C200
Newest # (what you want) = 25286-3C250

·
Registered
96 Posts
My wife's truck has a squealing sound from somewhere for the first 2-3 min lately. Do you think it's the tension pulley?? Water pump? Alt? Can't pinpoint it.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Pinpointing critical, and has to be done on your end. Tooooo many possible sources, and would have to hear it to even guess whether it's bearings in a peripheral device (e.g., alternator) or something else. Broom handle (sans broom, of course!) in ear touched to as many places as you can reasonably reach might be a good start since I doubt you've got the stethoscope to do it.

However, the fact that it goes away after 2~3 minutes makes it sound more like a serp belt (gets a bit stickier when it warms up) than anything else. Ever replaced it? Mileage? A clue?

·
Registered
464 Posts
My wife's truck has a squealing sound from somewhere for the first 2-3 min lately. Do you think it's the tension pulley?? Water pump? Alt? Can't pinpoint it.

Thanks
Another possible point is the power steering pump.
due to cold temperature PS fluid can be sticky for a while

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pinpointing critical, and has to be done on your end. Tooooo many possible sources, and would have to hear it to even guess whether it's bearings in a peripheral device (e.g., alternator) or something else. Broom handle (sans broom, of course!) in ear touched to as many places as you can reasonably reach might be a good start since I doubt you've got the stethoscope to do it.

However, the fact that it goes away after 2~3 minutes makes it sound more like a serp belt (gets a bit stickier when it warms up) than anything else. Ever replaced it? Mileage? A clue?
It's not a belt "squealing" sound. The belt looks good no cracking ect... I have replaced it but it's been awhile sence.. It's got 167,000 miles on it. I'll try the broom handle or something close to see if I can hear it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get the squealing on start up (diesel) - replacement belt & tensioner and it's not power steering pump. Once engine has run for a couple of minutes it goes so I am beginning to suspect the waterpump - ie as soon as it warms up no noise? Any suggestions appreciated - wish I had changed it when I did the belt/tensioner but it looks like it is going to be a process of elimination.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts