Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 60K maintenance schedule sheet says to "inspect" the drive belt. I'm going into the dealership next week for the 60K and I'm wondering if it should be replaced even though it may not need it after "inspection". Thoughts?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think it's timing chain. No need to worry about it, until you feel the chain noise is louder than before, which indicate hydraulic chain tensioner goes bad

·
Registered
2014 SFS 2.4l
422 Posts
He's asking about the serpentine belt.

Inspect and teplace as necessary. If belt not cracking when bunched up or no obvious signs of wear, you can push it out longer.

Worst thing that happens is you lose water pump if it breaks.

It's a cheap part but a PITA to change due to small clearances.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The Accent has a timing chain rather than a timing belt. But there is also a rubber drive belt, (also known as a serpentine belt) that turns the water pump and alternator.

You can replace it... But if it's not frayed, or cracked there probably isn't a need to. Personally, I'd just go with the inspections at the intervals recommended in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The owners' manual is referring to the alternator belt there, not the engine timing.
The alternator belt (also called serpentine belt, accessory belt, or V belt, or S belt) is to be inspected at 60K miles. you can see it on the passenger side of the engine - it's the belt looped around various pulleys. Probably should not need outright replacement yet. Signs of wear would include chunks missing from the ridged side of the belt, fraying exposed fibers from inside the belt structure. If wear like that is seen, replace the belt. Some visible cracking of the ridges is ok, but not cracks at the sides of the belt. Also the belt has a range of tension that is acceptable. Before the belt is in obvious need of replacement it will likely loosen up and fall out of the acceptable tension range, which can cause undervolt conditions and decline of the battery strength. At the dealership they should have a sonic tension gauge that can assess the belt's looseness simply by listening to it after the technician give the belt a thwack. No kidding. These handheld computerized gizmos cost like 1,500 dollars. I used a vintage belt tension gauge I bought off ebay to check my belt when it began making more than normal level of noise after 60K miles. Sure enough the belt had gotten quite stretched out with age. I reset the tension on it, which is done by positioning of the alternator. (There is no self tensioning mechanism for the Accent) About 10k miles later I replaced the old belt with a new one, even though there were none of the obvious signs of needing replacement (chunks, fraying). Better safe than sorry. The new belt is very inexpensive and I probably will not need another for this car. The dealership may retension your belt or recommend replacement. if they only retension it, you will probably want to keep your eye on it for developing signs of wear. Should the belt break on you, the least bad thing that will happen is you get stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all, and to Lazy H

Thank you everyone for your replies. And a very smart tip of the hat to Lazy H again for his explanations. I also like your sense of humor (at the end of your explanation). I believe I will have them replace it.:smile:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine has never been replaced. I'm at 430k miles. I think that the replacement will be of a much lower quality than the original. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Mine has never been replaced. I'm at 430k miles. I think that the replacement will be of a much lower quality than the original. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)
You have the record for miles...I have an '01 with the original serp and about 125k miles! It ain't broke! :nerd:

Reactions: jim251431

·
Registered
217 Posts
The belt in my Accent was showing signs of wear at 120k km (72k miles) and was replaced by the dealer. I drive a lot, late night, empty rural roads, so better safe than sorry :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts