Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed just at 103,000 miles before starter lever but the dust. Thankfully at work. Been reading of the issues with the **** lever and was hoping to get through the summer but not to be.

Got a new starter coming from RockAuto just because if I go through the trouble to remove, I’m replacing. Thankfully me old truck runs - and the AC works :banana:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Starter on YF Sonata not been a fail item,, other than broken lever.. new style lever as posted many time in past is $8.13,, Hyundai dealer should have bin full of them,, be back on road in 2hr at worst,, I can do in rough 1 hr on rack..

Why put yourself out for days waiting on a starter to show up ?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I would verify that the new starter has an improved lever.

I would also replace the lever on the old starter and keep it as a spare.

What brand new starter did you choose?

Reactions: avisitor

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would verify that the new starter has an improved lever.

I would also replace the lever on the old starter and keep it as a spare.

What brand new starter did you choose?
Curious how one would tell if a new/manufactured starter has the "new style" starter lever. When I replaced mine a few months back, I do not recall seeing anything indicating a new design?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You simply take the starter apart and inspect it.

Reactions: sbr711

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went with the OEM Valeo (I believe that’s OEM). Opted for new because if I’m under a vehicle sweating �� for an hour or more, cursing like a sailor (no disrespect to my Navy brethren) I’m not chancing another issue down the road.

In the early ‘80’s, I swapped rebuilt starters on an old ‘67 Chevelle about every 4 months because it was all I could afford at the time. No longer my situation so I opt for the new unit.

Also am not in that bug of a hurry. Dealership wanted almost $400 for new and no other parts place had any in stock locally.

It’s all good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Curious how one would tell if a new/manufactured starter has the "new style" starter lever. When I replaced mine a few months back, I do not recall seeing anything indicating a new design?
You simply take the starter apart and inspect it.
I suppose my question was not specific enough. ;) While inspecting the starter lever on a newly purchased re manufactured starter or even a new starter, what are the indications on that starter lever that it is of the newer design vs. the older design?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Newer design is solid. Older design is hollow. Search this forum for pictures.
Or, spend the $10 on the new lever and compare it to the one in the reman starter. If they are the same, good to go. If not, use the more obvious stronger one.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata 2.0T Sport Limited
104 Posts
Did mine over the weekend. It sucked. Also glad it decided to break while I was at work rather than when we were in Kentucky 2 days prior.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Managed to install my new starter this morning before the temperature reached the upper 90’s today. No real issues and the starter “fork” or lever was definitely broke. Installed the new unit within an hour.

Biggest PITA issue was the undercarriage plastic pieces needed to gain access to the starter. It took me longer to remove those pieces than the starter itself.

Lots of great tips on this forum that greatly contributed to my efforts today.

Very much appreciative of all that share those pointers! Much obliged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts