Hyundai Forums banner

Drain/Refill Coolant - How much coolant in radiator?

57K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  tareyton 
So there definitely is not drain plugs on the block of the V6 model? The Haynes service manual indicates that on the V6 engine, there are 2 engine block drain plugs, 1 on each side of the block. Has anyone located and drained coolant through these? I would prefer to use them to ensure that I drain all of the coolant/water out while draining and flushing. Otherwise even if I flush the system several times and have clear water draining out finally, there will still be water in the block and heater core, so that when I add my 50/50 coolant mix, I'll actually have less then 50% coolant in the entire system as the water still in the block will dilute the mixture. I've reached out to Haynes to inquire about where the plugs are located specifically and if their even accessible.
The Haynes and Chilton manuals can be helpful. I've used both. But, it is not unusual for them to have inaccurate or misleading information. On an older vehicle like yours, which is likely to need more complex repairs/maintenance than a newer model, you should consider getting a low cost digital version of the original shop repair manual for your year and model car. There are a number of web sites where you can purchase and download a copy. I've done that for my Azera and it has been a life saver for me. I think I paid $17. I also purchased a searchable digital copy for GF's 2000 Infiniti G20. Couldn't have repaired it without the shop manual.

Good luck. Please let us know how the coolant replacement works out for you.

This actually is the digital version of the Haynes manual that stated this...
I got a one year Chilton digital manual subscription before I purchased a digital download of the shop manual; all 2,316 pages of the "Hyundai Azera Factory Service Repair Workshop Manual." Much better than the more generic Chilton's. I often print the pages related to a new project for a reference as I'm doing the job. Then, at some point, I'll forget to put a weight on the pages and have to chase them down the street. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.