Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a pretty nasty paint chip on my monaco white 2013 Elantra GT. Happened this July while I was on a road trip, and I had just left it.

The chip had started to rust a little, so I had to deal with it now. Should have done it sooner, but live an learn.

To clean up the area, I ordered a $10 sanding pen from eBay. This is used to clean up the chip, remove the rust, wax, etc.

Here is what the chip looked like after I cleaned up up a little. You can see that there is possible bubbling under the paint. Hopefully not, but if so I will have to deal with it later on:

Here is a view of the chip from a few feet back, just to get an idea of the size:

Here is a pic of the kit I bought. The small bottle is the paint (colour code YAC for the monaco white GT), the 'pink' solution is the sealant which also helps remove excess paint applied, the white cloth is for applying the sealant, and the pink cloth is just a microfibre buffing towel. 3 small brushes are included. I paid just over $100 for two of these kits shipped to Canada (I got one for my Kia, just as a spare...kit can last for about a year so I'll keep it handy).

Here is a view after I put 4 coats on. Each coat took me about 5-10 mins to apply.

A bit of a close-up. The chip is centre-right:

Another view...chip is centre:

Another pic:

Overall I am pleased with the results. For about $50 CDN for one kit, can't expect much better. I tried my best to show in the pics how the chip now looks. You can notice it in person if you looked for it, but hopefully I got it before any more rust developed. I'll still have to keep an eye on it.

I have a little bit of chipping on the plastic bumper that I filled in with the paint pen by Hyundai. I wish now I had used this system instead as the results are better IMO.

Attachments

·
22,793 Posts
Question: What chip? It's not even noticeable on my iPhone screen. Even enlarged the pics and recently had my eyes examined. So, you're either a highly skilled professional, that stuff really works, or both. Truly a nice job!!! Impressive results. Put me down in the "Sold" column.

One more question: how long or how painstaking was this procedure to achieve those kinds of results?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question: What chip? It's not even noticeable on my iPhone screen. Even enlarged the pics and recently had my eyes examined. So, you're either a highly skilled professional, that stuff really works, or both. Truly a nice job!!! Impressive results. Put me down in the "Sold" column.

One more question: how long or how painstaking was this procedure to achieve those kinds of results?
The results look better in the pics than in person, but are still really good.

I suck at this type of stuff. If I had time back, I would have tried it with a small rubber squeegee to get better results. I will get one somewhere before trying my next repair (Dr. Colorchip sells them on the site...should have ordered one or two).

Took me about 30mins total, and thats only because I did the process 4 times since the chip was quite deep. The first couple of times I could still see the metal through the paint. The last couple of coats was to fill in the chip to 'even' it out a bit.

Was really simple as this video shows.. I am really not great for this stuff, but this was really dead-simple. Not professional results, but not too bad really:

·
22,793 Posts
Rubber squeegee? Beauty supply store: makeup applicator sponge! Might do the trick. Hides female blemishes well enough to fool our discerning eyes! :grin:

There's stuff in those stores you could use to detail your car with! And they're "tools for lady's!" I say "equal rights!" LOL

I'm getting this mental pic of guys running out to buy detailer tools at BeautyCo.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha Rich!

Going to wait a week (as suggested by the Dr Colorchip site) to wax it. Hoping it will look even better after a quick wax.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Octavian - I got to do the same thing for my Elantra GT - i've got a chip that started to rust above the front driver's side wheel. Almost about the same size as yours.

Did you order the Dr Colorchip straight from their site?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have heard good and bad results using Dr. Colorchip. If you're not a good DIY person the results may not be great. If you take your time and DIY it's sure cheaper than having a repair shop do it. $50 is a cheap repair :=)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Octavian - I got to do the same thing for my Elantra GT - i've got a chip that started to rust above the front driver's side wheel. Almost about the same size as yours.

Did you order the Dr Colorchip straight from their site?
Yup. I got a package for my new Kia as well. Got a small discount for ordering two packages.

I suggest getting their small rubber squeegee or picking one up local as well. I think it would be useful for bigger chips like the one I repaired.

If you have rust be sure to get it out of there first...I waited a bit too long and had to get the sanding pen to clean it out first. The sanding pen might not be a bad idea anyways, to make sure any wax, etc, is cleaned out.

I have heard good and bad results using Dr. Colorchip. If you're not a good DIY person the results may not be great. If you take your time and DIY it's sure cheaper than having a repair shop do it. $50 is a cheap repair :=)
Yep agreed. Its good for small touchups. I am not good at his stuff honestly, so I think it was pretty good for a noob like myself. You can still spot my repair...the pictures I took made it look perfect, but with some outside light in person you can tell there was a repair, if I directed you to the hood...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts