Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I want to find out if anyone else is experiencing this or is this an issue with all elantras.

The downshifting while braking is very obvious during braking, I can literally feel the gearshifts going down from 5th Gear to 1st as I brake. I have driven a wide range of cars but haven't experienced this earlier.

Is there any modification that can be done or added to change this and make it smoother like usual cars?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Doesn't happen to mines. You might want to have it checked. IMO, the Elantra has probably the smoothest auto trans I ever driven.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
If the car is shifting from 5th straight down to 1st, there's definitely something wrong. I can't feel this thing shift at all....

·
22,788 Posts
I've never felt it. I'm in the habit of tapping my brakes. So, if this is happening, I'd probably not have my foot on the brake long enough to even notice.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't think this is normal. But since you're in Dubaï, you may have a different engnie configuration than ours. Do you have the 1.6L engine?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
engine doesn't matter, at the end of the day the transmission (or control unit) is not functioning correctly to dump the gear down hard like that.

it sounds like a control problem to me, the transmission computer will note that you are braking and downshift accordingly...this one is going overboard.

but you are driving a 2013. you have a warranty. time to use what you paid for :)

·
22,788 Posts
^ +1. What he said. Time to evaluate the service department's expertise and competence. Hopefully it'll be a good review.

·
Registered
952 Posts
"Under certain driving conditions" Have I felt this but not from 5th straight to 1st but have felt it go 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st. And I can see rpm reflecting this by small jumps as it downshifts.

Now even though I can feel this, these downshifts are soft and smooth.

Normal driving barely noticeable. If yours is going from directly 5th to 1st with nothing in between then I am with everyone else have it looked at.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I think the OP is referring to being able to feel downshifts as the car slows. They will be more noticeable when the car is in fuel cut, but they will always be there because the transaxle uses clutch-to-clutch shifting with no one-way overrun clutches to allow the car to just roll as the transmission does its downshifting. It's for fuel economy primarily, but also because today's cheap computer processing power makes it possible to design a simpler, cheaper, lighter transmission that does away with all but one roller clutch, and use computer programming to precisely time the "apply" and "release" of two different wet clutches. This shifts the transmission from one "gear" to the next, and makes these shifts smooth and with minimal overlap so wear is minimized.

The only way to make the downshift feeling go away is to shift to neutral when coasting or braking, and then return to D a second or two before you resume acceleration. In doing so, you lose the benefit of fuel cut (a boost in fuel economy), and risk the chance you could forget to return to D and rev the engine when you're ready to get going again.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think the OP is referring to being able to feel downshifts as the car slows. They will be more noticeable when the car is in fuel cut, but they will always be there because the transaxle uses clutch-to-clutch shifting with no one-way overrun clutches to allow the car to just roll as the transmission does its downshifting. It's for fuel economy primarily, but also because today's cheap computer processing power makes it possible to design a simpler, cheaper, lighter transmission that does away with all but one roller clutch, and use computer programming to precisely time the "apply" and "release" of two different wet clutches. This shifts the transmission from one "gear" to the next, and makes these shifts smooth and with minimal overlap so wear is minimized.

The only way to make the downshift feeling go away is to shift to neutral when coasting or braking, and then return to D a second or two before you resume acceleration. In doing so, you lose the benefit of fuel cut (a boost in fuel economy), and risk the chance you could forget to return to D and rev the engine when you're ready to get going again.
what's fuel cut? I mean I'm guessing the fuel pump shuts off or something like that when drifting? Some means of that I'd assume lol

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Fuel cut is the computer shutting off the fuel injectors (zero pulse width) when the car is in gear, the engine coolant and catalyst are at operating temperature, and the throttle is closed (foot off the gas). It holds until about 30mph, and when starting from lower speeds on secondary roads, it will hold down to 20mph. To keep the engine spinning when the injectors aren't operating, it keeps the converter locked and downshifts as needed to keep the engine speed over about 1100-1200rpm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yea I also feel downshifting, especially when coming off the highway. The transmission also shifts four times before it reaches 60km/h, I've never experienced that while driving a car either. I just figured it's normal for this car. "shrugs"

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Yea I also feel downshifting, especially when coming off the highway. The transmission also shifts four times before it reaches 60km/h, I've never experienced that while driving a car either. I just figured it's normal for this car. "shrugs"
That's because there are six gears whereas most cars up until a few years ago only had four or five. 60 kph = ~ 35 mph and that sounds about right for me to be in fourth or fifth. It usually gets into 6th around 45 mph / 70 kph if I'm gentle on the throttle.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
That's because there are six gears whereas most cars up until a few years ago only had four or five. 60 kph = ~ 35 mph and that sounds about right for me to be in fourth or fifth. It usually gets into 6th around 45 mph / 70 kph if I'm gentle on the throttle.
Absolutely correct. You should be in fifth gear (direct drive) by 30mph with light throttle. The 1-2 shift will show the biggest drop on the tach because it has the widest ratio spread. And if any of the shifts are less graceful than the others, it will be the 2-3 because of the design of the transmission, which requires one of the components to unlock from the case so it can spin freely and then get coupled to the input shaft that's connected to the engine. The 3-4 and 4-5 shifts are usually imperceptible unless you are "listening" for them or watching the tach.

During deceleration and when in fuel cut, the shifting is more abrupt (and noticeable) because faster shifting is needed to make sure the torque from the wheels back to the engine remains uninterrupted to keep the engine spinning while the injectors are off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good to know! I knew it wasn't anything to worry about B)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much guys for all your feedback!! Really appreciate it..

By downshifting I meant going from 5th to 4th to 3rd and so on...I am surprised most of you have the smoothest transitions...I HATE going to the workshop..but I have to cos better to get this thing checked...

I also have RPM issues, if I am driving in traffic on the second gear, the RPM drops very rapidly from 3 to 1, giving the car a jerky feel...so need to keep a very FEATHER foot to prevent it from happening...I don't know if that's normal...
For some reason I feel Hyundai has produced the most pathetic model for the Dubai market...donkeys!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I also have RPM issues, if I am driving in traffic on the second gear, the RPM drops very rapidly from 3 to 1, giving the car a jerky feel...so need to keep a very FEATHER foot to prevent it from happening...I don't know if that's normal...
Ok, I'm confused. :)
When you're in traffic and the car shifts 1 -> 2, it is jerky when shifing? The rpm will drop quite a bit from 1 to 2 because it is a very wide spread of ratios. The 2 to 3 shift is sometimes a little delayed and it may hang for an instant before applying third. If you manually try to force it into 3rd before it's ready to do it on it's own, the shift will be firmer but still with a bit of a delay. As I said before, it is the nature of the beast because too much overlap during that shift would bind the gearset (lock everything up).

The transmission is designed to shift sequentially - it won't go from first to third, but will do a fast 1-2-3 succession, and will only do that if you are very heavy on the accelerator. The way you describe it, it sounds like this is what you're seeing - the engine will rev to a high rpm (maybe 4000) and then you release the pedal and it bump-bumps to third and the rpm is close to 1500 and then it would go for fourth gear if you're still easy on the pedal.

Not sure how many miles are on your car, but it helps to know that the transmission is adaptive and it takes some time to "learn" the routine. That means it learns your driving habits and will adjust shift points and firmness based on what is reads from your normal driving. If your driving style varies wildly from day to day, it can get a little confused and shifting can be perceived as erratic. I know I am very gentle in normal driving, and when I drop the pedal like I just robbed the local bank, it is almost comical to feel the confused shift pattern. It is clear that the little gremlins in the transmission computer are sounding the alarm - "new orders from the bridge - full steam ahead!" - and they go scurrying around, bumping into stuff, trying desperately to find a lower ratio to get the car moving at full tilt.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The OP should definitely get this looked at. Mine down shifts in auto (D) during deceleration/braking perfectly smooth and is nearly undetectable, unless I'm purposely looking for and waiting to feel it. Even still, the tach stays very steady and I usually can't tell.

It's the smoothest auto trans I've ever driven in terms of up and down shifts. That's one of the characteristics that sold me on this car.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mine occasionally downshifts when coasting down hills, but not hard or jerky, and never more than a gear or two. My parents' Elantra does the same.

Someone (I forgot who) told me that in part that may be the smart alternator/regenerative braking at work. In any event, I've put it down as one of the Elantra's little quirks, like the initial hard 1-2 upshift when the engine/transaxle is cold and the car's been sitting a while.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts