Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T: A couple of months ago I had a High-Pressure Fuel Pump replaced after 6 visits to Dealership to find the problem. It's worked okay since, but the Fuel Consumption has almost doubled. In the last few days, I had a separate Error Code P0010. Something to do with intake Cam position actuator oil-soaked and contaminated. Fuel consumption had gotten worse. They replaced a New E-CVVT End-Plug; Actuator and Cover; Clean affected area. Most of the symptoms I was getting have gone away except the Fuel Consumption. It has actually gotten worse!! Are these issues related? Any suggestions on why fuel consumption has doubled? No error codes currently showing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I noticed you're in Canada----what's the temperature there? Just FYI gas mileage drops WAY off in colder temps.....I usually get 19-20 MPG around town (25-27 MPG HWY) in Spring and summer. Today it was 16 Deg F when I left for work and got 12.3 MPG around town and around 21 MPG on the HWY until it got warmer..This probably is not your problem but just relaying some information just in case.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
189 Posts
And OP actually what is your fuel consumption? You say it doubled but you dont give any real number. And you should not assume the computer l/100km ls real. Its better to make the calculation KM done vs quantity of fuel refilled at the pump.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Here is the deal with fuel consumption as it is a question that pops up a LOT. The engine control module monitors the fuel to air ratio constantly. It can and will identify any lean or rich fuel condition via illumination of the SES light and a DTC (fault code). If there is no light and no codes, then there is nothing wrong as far as the engine is concerned.

Now other things can be a factor. Fuel leaks, but you would usually smell fuel.

Air pressure in the tires below spec.

Ambient air temp, as noted above is a BIG factor, and the shorter your trips the more it will fall off in colder weather. I average up to 30 MPH on the highway and 17-19 MPG around town in the summer. In the winter my mileage in town will drop to between 10 and 15 MPG depending on how cold it is and how far I drive. Use of the remote starter may drop it even more.

Driving habits can change in the winter also. When we have snow on the ground I wear a heavier boot that does not provide the same feel of the throttle pedal. Less feel / feedback leads me to apply more pressure and accelerate faster than I normally would, cutting fuel mileage. Sounds sill but I see it on the tachometer as 500 to 1,000 RPM higher shifts that with a normal shoe.

Differential lock engagement will also lower fuel mileage a bit.

Bottom line...If there is no SES and no DTCs present then look at other outside factors that may be affecting mileage as there are no tweaks or changes to the engine that a Dealer can make to boost mileage, and if the Dealer did anything wrong during the repair the ECM would see it and set DTCs.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T: A couple of months ago I had a High-Pressure Fuel Pump replaced after 6 visits to Dealership to find the problem.
Completely normal and understandable concern that after making 6 trips to the dealer to get something fixed that the dealer must have screwed something up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not
And OP actually what is your fuel consumption? You say it doubled but you don't give any real number. And you should not assume the computer l/100km ls real. Its better to make the calculation KM done vs quantity of fuel refilled at the pump.
Not quite double, but it has gone from 9.9 L/100 to about 16.6 L/100 It has never been close to that high with any type of driving or time of year. I have only noticed this mainly since replacing a High-Pressure Fuel Pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the deal with fuel consumption as it is a question that pops up a LOT. The engine control module monitors the fuel to air ratio constantly. It can and will identify any lean or rich fuel condition via illumination of the SES light and a DTC (fault code). If there is no light and no codes, then there is nothing wrong as far as the engine is concerned.

Now other things can be a factor. Fuel leaks, but you would usually smell fuel.

Air pressure in the tires below spec.

Ambient air temp, as noted above is a BIG factor, and the shorter your trips the more it will fall off in colder weather. I average up to 30 MPH on the highway and 17-19 MPG around town in the summer. In the winter my mileage in town will drop to between 10 and 15 MPG depending on how cold it is and how far I drive. Use of the remote starter may drop it even more.

Driving habits can change in the winter also. When we have snow on the ground I wear a heavier boot that does not provide the same feel of the throttle pedal. Less feel / feedback leads me to apply more pressure and accelerate faster than I normally would, cutting fuel mileage. Sounds sill but I see it on the tachometer as 500 to 1,000 RPM higher shifts that with a normal shoe.

Differential lock engagement will also lower fuel mileage a bit.

Bottom line...If there is no SES and no DTCs present then look at other outside factors that may be affecting mileage as there are no tweaks or changes to the engine that a Dealer can make to boost mileage, and if the Dealer did anything wrong during the repair the ECM would see it and set DTCs.
Thanks for your response! I was repeatedly getting the Engine light and an error code for Rich Fuel Mixture, which prompted my repeated trips to the dealer. Those issues were causing stalls while driving. Eventually, they replaced the High-Pressure Fuel pump and the problem went away, but the fuel consumption went up. Way up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed you're in Canada----what's the temperature there? Just FYI gas mileage drops WAY off in colder temps.....I usually get 19-20 MPG around town (25-27 MPG HWY) in Spring and summer. Today it was 16 Deg F when I left for work and got 12.3 MPG around town and around 21 MPG on the HWY until it got warmer..This probably is not your problem but just relaying some information just in case.
Thanks. I've considered all the other or external factors, but this one is definitely an engine issue IMO.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Thanks for your response! I was repeatedly getting the Engine light and an error code for Rich Fuel Mixture, which prompted my repeated trips to the dealer. Those issues were causing stalls while driving. Eventually, they replaced the High-Pressure Fuel pump and the problem went away, but the fuel consumption went up. Way up!
That makes perfect sense, but if there are no DTCs present or in history and especially if the engine is running normally...Not really anything to be diagnosed. Now I would look at the oxygen sensor data to make sure they are doing what they should be doing just to be safe and make sure there is no fuel in the engine oil...If all is good there......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not

Not quite double, but it has gone from 9.9 L/100 to about 16.6 L/100 It has never been close to that high with any type of driving or time of year. I have only noticed this mainly since replacing a High-Pressure Fuel Pump.

My 2016 2.0T only get's around the 9's /100 when highway driving. But most of my driving is in the city, stop and go and is usually around 15-16L /100 km

1 - 11 of 11 Posts