Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just incase anyone wants to know what behind the door and hatch trim, here ya go.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Speaker specs on the base audio is 20watts @ 4 ohms, here is also a pic of the spare tire well, and if you dont like using the foam tray, a Milwaukee PackOut 5 compartment box fits in the groove, and sits nice under the floor. I use one for emergency tools, like spare fuses, duct tape, zip ties, tire repair, multitool, etc.. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-PACKOUT-5-Compartments-Small-Parts-Organizer-48-22-8435/303005752 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-High-Capacity-56-in-8-Drawer-Top-Chest-48-22-8558/304688606

Attachments

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Picture 5,,, unscrew the ground, grind paint to bare steel, re-attach ground lug...

Paint is an insulator,,,, not a conductor

Have to ask,,, rubber gloves ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picture 5,,, unscrew the ground, grind paint to bare steel, re-attach ground lug...

Have to ask,,, rubber gloves ??
That's how it is from factory, but next time i pull the panel, i'll fix it.

And the gloves are for 2 reasons. 1) it was cold outside, so it helps a little bit. 2) I was adding sound deadening, its easier to pull off a pair of gloves then to scrape off the adhesive from your skin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's how it is from factory, but next time i pull the panel, i'll fix it.

And the gloves are for 2 reasons. 1) it was cold outside, so it helps a little bit. 2) I was adding sound deadening, its easier to pull off a pair of gloves then to scrape off the adhesive from your skin.
Thanks for posting !.. always interesting to see whats behind door number 1 -5

·
Registered
23 Posts

If the 'nut' part is an insert fastened into the metal it'll ground through the screw threads. Even if there was paint in the female threads the screw will have reamed it out enough to get good contact, given how tight those are usually done up.

If I was adding a connection to a metal sheet, with a loose nut on the back, then yes it will need some surface cleaning off, front or back, to provide contact.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
If the 'nut' part is an insert fastened into the metal it'll ground through the screw threads. Even if there was paint in the female threads the screw will have reamed it out enough to get good contact, given how tight those are usually done up.
HEHEHEHEEEEE...

YF Sonata, no electric to car... Bolt is for negative battery cable lug to sheet metal (painted) beside battery

Yep, even the 6mm threads get rust to shank and bore of nut on body,,, that brown stuff becomes insulation

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
ANY bare steel will rust, including a bit you clean the paint off.

Battery and engine ground connections are often problematic after some years of life, but that's in part due to being in relatively exposed areas. The fix is maintenance by periodically removing, cleaning and applying a corrosion inhibitor before refitting. Just scraping paint off the surrounding metal and bolting it back on is a temporary fix if corrosion is likely to (re)occur. (Yes, in many cases 'temporary' may be long enough to see the car to a new owner or the scrap yard, and that's a choice to be made when you do the work.)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use Anti-Ox electrical grease on exposed electrical connections like this battery bolts. It carries electrical current. Pull it out load it with Anti -Ox grease and reinstall it...good for life. OR I have been known to spray Fluid Film on it, but it can rust from beneath if the bolt hole is exposed. Anti-ox is used for aluminum wire to lug clamp for a main service entrance and sub-panel boxes are used. I use it for all outdoor, garage and basement electrical copper wiring/outlets so I never have to worry about oxidized wiring 30 years from now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Noalox-0-5-oz-Anti-Oxidant-Joint-Compound-30-024/202276207?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202276208-_-202276207-_-N

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/electrical-tools-accessories/wire-conduit-installation/gardner-bender-reg-ox-gard-antioxidant-compound-1-ounce/ox-100b/p-1444431020925.htm

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Scrape paint, re-attach bolt and then seal over TOP of it all. Keeps the moisture and corrosion off the bare metal. Re-apply as needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts