Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the door panel to replace a speaker (front doors)? Just wondering how to disconnect the door handle/lock mechanism.

Thanks,
Rut

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is a tab that needs to be removed behind the door handle lever, you will find a screw there as welll as caps to be removed to find screws along the edge of the door.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (jeeper31 @ Dec 8 2010, 06:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377819
Is it screws to tak the door off or those little plug/snap things?
Where the handle is to close the door from the inside, there is a small lid type cover. Use a small flat screwdriver and lift it up from, this will expose the screw. Where the door open lever is, open the lever, while the lever is held open use a angle pick tool and hook the cover behind the lever, a little wiggle and it should pop off. The remaining clips on the door panel a re the push in pop type. You can use a door panel puller tool (which kind of looks like a Y) and pop them out. Them out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can the Sonata handle only shallow mount 6.5 speakers? I was on Crutchfield and noticed a very limited amount of speakers were available for the 2011.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (ijoe @ Dec 8 2010, 10:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377863
Can the Sonata handle only shallow mount 6.5 speakers? I was on Crutchfield and noticed a very limited amount of speakers were available for the 2011.
I am sure you can ad spacer to bring the speaker closer to the door panel. I know there was a lot of space between the face of the speaker and the door panel. I am not sure of the space behind the speaker to the glass.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Dec 8 2010, 02:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377931
I am sure you can ad spacer to bring the speaker closer to the door panel. I know there was a lot of space between the face of the speaker and the door panel. I am not sure of the space behind the speaker to the glass.
Hmm.. thanks for the reply. I really didn't want to be stuck with shallow speakers as I'm not going with a subwoofer and just wanted to upgrade my sound through some decent speakers.

Are the stock speakers in the rear muffled because of the system or is it just terribad speakers? I've noticed my front sounds much better than the back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would anyone know what the alternator current rating is on the 2011 Sonatas? Just wondering at what wattage you need to be considering upgrading the stock unit.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (rutledj @ Dec 9 2010, 12:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378288
Would anyone know what the alternator current rating is on the 2011 Sonatas? Just wondering at what wattage you need to be considering upgrading the stock unit.

its very high because of the power steering being electric. I dont remember the actual number but has to be north of 150amps for that reason alone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I guess it could power a decent size audio amp without problems? I'm looking at the alpine pdx 5 4 x 100w and 1 x 200w

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (rutledj @ Dec 9 2010, 07:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378398
So I guess it could power a decent size audio amp without problems? I'm looking at the alpine pdx 5 4 x 100w and 1 x 200w

yup.

600w at roughly 70% efficiency (assuming typical class ab amps) is approx 900w/12v=75 amps peak. That would be if you were running a test signal at full output. In real-world use you will use only a small fraction of that listening to music.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had replaced mine with Alpine type R's 6 1/2 coaxils in the rear, I had the type R components in the front but took them out because believe it or not the stock sounded better, more fuller sound in the front. I have two JL 10's in the rear, JL XD600 mono block amp for the subs and JL XD400 for the doors but only for the rears.. but had everything balanced out. Sounds great. Had ABT Electronis do the install out of Glenview IL. all the euip and install about $1,600

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great. I got some Boston Acoustics components for the front. I also purchased the Alpine pxe-h660 signal processor. I wanted to keep the head unit (not really but no easy way to replace it) to not lose the steering controls. Hoping the signal processor will improve the overall sound. Won't be able to install everything for a couple of weeks when I get some time off.

How did you hook up your amps to the factory HU?

·
Registered
57 Posts
they used some type of convertor, I have the limited which has the stock amp and they had to go around it or through it, not sure. I will take pictures over the weekend and post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE (rutledj @ Dec 10 2010, 09:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378508
Great. I got some Boston Acoustics components for the front. I also purchased the Alpine pxe-h660 signal processor. I wanted to keep the head unit (not really but no easy way to replace it) to not lose the steering controls. Hoping the signal processor will improve the overall sound. Won't be able to install everything for a couple of weeks when I get some time off.

How did you hook up your amps to the factory HU?

From my reading the Head unit has digital output to the amps (spdif). So if you want to replace the amps you must either have a amp that takes digital input (not many of those) or get a signal processor that accepts digital input and converts it to line level (low) analog output for standard amplifiers.

[attachment=21692:SonataG20Tamp.gif]

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
QUOTE (rutledj @ Nov 29 2010, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375558
Has anyone removed the door panel to replace a speaker (front doors)? Just wondering how to disconnect the door handle/lock mechanism.

Thanks,
Rut
I did this yesterday to install the polkaudio speakers in the front doors. Unfortunately i wasn't successful because of special bracket and connector needed for the install. I started a new post on this, to get suggestions on how to make that bracket. For now I have ostponed install till I get that bracket ready.

Follow this detailed link below how to remove the panel and disconnect the electrical to get to the speakers...

http://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9658

It wasn't easy to get the panel out as being new the hooks are hard, so a solid pull is needed. also, you need special star shaped screwdriver called TORX screwdriver, Size T20 to open the screws on speakers. Dont even bother staring unless you have this driver, I had to run to H/W store to buy this in the middle :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts