Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Checked on the door Thru n thru and there is no button to press. Kindly assist
It wouldn't be on the door, it would be on the vehicle, where the door closes. Here is where mine are, on my 2017 Elantra.

Here's where it is by the back door:

·
Registered
67 Posts
My Santa Fe 2013 doesn’t have this button and “open door” symbol is on the dash board . It is frustrating me as the symbol cover other readings on the board

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
The information panel on our 2017 not only tells which door is open but the hood and the trunk as well. Does your vehicle have this. Our door switches are identical to what mmahmann posted and all of our map and dome light have switches.

Ha, our door light switches are all off, don't want to give away our position, ex military brainwashing. No problem seeing the start switch, turns a light blue if the remote is in your pocket.

·
Registered
67 Posts
NicholasD Yes, the information panel has everything you mentioned. Unfortunately the car doesn’t have switch panel. Will pay attention for the start switch turning blue when the remote in my pocket. Door open symbol driving me crazy as it blocks information on panel

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
NicholasD Yes, the information panel has everything you mentioned. Unfortunately the car doesn’t have switch panel. Will pay attention for the start switch turning blue when the remote in my pocket. Door open symbol driving me crazy as it blocks information on panel
Then it should be telling you which door is not closed even though that door is fully close. but for some simple reason, that door's switch is not being opened.

When the door is open contacts in the switch make contact, closed they don't make contact, I believe but not sure, this also affects your auto door locks.

Now why, could be the switch or the door is not properly adjusted to be fully closed. But with the ignition on, engine off. you can manually press on that switch while looking at your display.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
NicholasD. Thanks for taking time to explain. Crossing my fingers will try your suggestion. Thanks again
Had to try this on our Elantra, opened the rear door and gently closed it to the first click, viewing the dash panel that door was shown as being opened. With the remote in my pocket just to lock the door by pushing the button on the driver's door handle.

Doors would not lock and the alarm went off, so with this problem, can't lock your doors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
NicholasD will try this one too. Thanks again. On a personal note I went to grad school in Whitewater, Wis. that was in the 70s !! Beautiful state n miss much

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Ha, I learned 100 times as much about electronics than I did at Marquette in the military, they were still playing around with electrostatics. Milwaukee and Chicago were a bit too crowded, moved up north. We can drive for 80 miles and see nothing but trees and some of the cleanest lakes in the world.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, I can remember very the state is picturesque with lots of greeneries, dairy n trees. Should visit again if health n age permit. Please stay safe

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
My youngest daughter wanted to work in Portland, but what's going on there now, wants to come back home. Is peaceful here and most of the people are friendly. But we don't get any Tsunamis, hurricanes, or earthquakes, so its boring. Also live in an integrated neighbor and everybody is friendly.

Here is a circle of the door switches, all normally open with the doors closed.

Two more switches not shown to this IPS control module, one for the hood, other for the trunk.
Also found many aftermarket switches on the net. If you need a new one. On mine, only an eight of an inch switches them off, but the switch can go down another half an inch. but you can compare the bad one with three other good ones. Is your car still under warranty?

·
Registered
67 Posts
NicolasD. I was talking about Wisconsin where I went to grad school in the 70s

You are a guru in electronics. To me it is all Greek!! Wish I had this knowledge to fix door ajar issue. Will do all you suggested. Regret my car is past warranty. It will get fixed with what you suggested.

Let your daughter come back home. Portland has more infection n is a problem area; till things settle down. And everybody is friendly. Wish her safety n to all your family

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Not too complicated a door bell push button completes the circuit when its pushed between the power supply and the door bell.

These door jamb push buttons are just the opposite, when you push the button, it opens the circuit.

Switch contacts can of two type, the door bell has normally opened contacts, your Elantra door jamb switches are normally closed when the door is opened, pushing on the button opens that switch.

One possibility, these switches have a plastic tip that may have broken off, slamming the door? So when the door is fully closed that switch is still closed.

You have two clicks when closing the door, the first click is like a safety opening the door partially pulley on the handle realizes inner lock, then it hits the outer lock, here the handle must be pulled fully. if the door is not locking on the inner pin could be adjusted too tight, only the out pin is keeping the door closed. But if this is the case, the door ajar display will show that door as being opened. Has to be closed on the inner pin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The drawing for me is complicated but let me update you what I did

Today I did the 3rd n final ATF drain n tinkered with “door ajar”

1. Tried WD40 ; opened- closed the door a few times. It didn’t work. It didn’t work

2. When I press door lock I noticed it locks but immediately reopened. Couldn’t put on lock!!!

2. An Ethiopian mechanic suggested I disconnect the battery. When I did that “door ajar” disappeared. I was elated but by the time I reached home (25 kms) it showed up again. Really frustrating

Wanted to update you
Best

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Best bet is to get a plastic pry bar, removed that neophrene cover and the switch, this will be an open circuit, and that door ajar light will be off and you can lock your doors.

1995 in the USA at least was the last year, flash memory was used, disconnecting the battery would reset the so called random access memory, would lose your learning code, radio stations, and everything.

Today its ancient history disconnecting your battery, may lose some TPMS code, but will come back after a short drive. EEROM is used since then, electrically erasable read only memory is used, takes a special scanner to erase it. Like like a USB stick.

See many auto stores carry this switch as does rockauto.com that tells me the OEM switch is junk.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts