Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not only will the dash indicator not turn off, despite ALL of the doors being closed, but the car won't fully lock because of it. Now I checked the button where it tells the car that the door is closed, and for some reason that button, despite being pressed by the door, is telling the car that the door is still open, How can one get this fixed?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Check each switch via manually pushing it with finger and hold it.. do this 1 door at a time..

Need to know which switch is malfunctioning.. worst case, remove fastener that hold switch to door post (1 at a time) and unplug it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check each switch via manually pushing it with finger and hold it.. do this 1 door at a time..

Need to know which switch is malfunctioning.. worst case, remove fastener that hold switch to door post (1 at a time) and unplug it
Well I did check that before posting, didn't think to include it here, but it's the front passenger door switch that's having the issue. I would push it in and the red door open indicator would go off. For now a friend that also has a Hyundai helped out, and we put tape over the button and that's helping keep the light off when the door is closed, also allowing for the car to be completely locked. Beyond that, I've no idea how to deal with this, and I'm not car savvy (I wouldn't know what do to other than call a tow truck if the car broke down, no idea how to fix it at all). Beyond that, that's about it right there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It looks like you need to depress that button a bit more than what the door is doing. I myself wouldn't bother spending a day at the dealer for that. I would take a drop or two of harbor freight imitation Krazy glue and affix a small piece of plastic to the tip of that button or to the part of the door that hits the button. Then when/if you need a warranty repair for something worth losing a day for, you can then tell them about the switch needing adjustment and then get it fixed the same time. Harbor freight krazy glue breaks apart pretty easily with a little coaxing, so no issue going right back to how it was. Just my opinion

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the switch replaced once and six months later the same problem. The door light wouldn't go off. After fiddling with it myself and noticing that the door wasn't pushing it in all the way, I did a temporary fix with a sponge earplug taping it to the tip. Works find but looks like ****. I just don't have the time right now to take it to the dealers. To top that off, I have a rattle in my passenger side door that is driving me crazy. This has not been my favorite purchase and the charge is barely 3 years old.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Least Hyundai is still using an old fashion door bell type of switch, other vehicle are making this a part of the door lock mechanism, $$$$ to replace, this is a five buck switch, dirty contacts?

Simple form A switch, makes contact with the door closed, two terminals, one is grounded other goes to the smart junction box to the BCM. This is a high impedance input, translation, the contacts must be super clean, trunk release switch is about the same.

Can be pressed out with a plastic pry bar, could also be connector related problems, maybe not fully seated.

See some say its not fully engaging, does it work with your finger? Is it erratic when pushing it by hand? Sure easy to test on my Limited, dash lights up showing that door opened, pushing that button kills that display. Pushing it slowly tells you are far it has to be pushed before that light goes out.

Ha, is this the 1% Made in China?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I noticed many of my passengers do not close the door enough for light to go off. The door is closed, but just not enough. Maybe it is part of being new? At first I thought that may be your problem, but looks like it is more involved.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Can be other possibilities besides the switch, on the door itself has a rubber stopper, below that the sheet metal is pressed out, any dents in there?

Then the door adjustment is a plate on the jam with two screws, that can be adjusted, if too tight, won't get that second click. Too loose, will have play in the door, not closing fully. Stuff like this can be checked in seconds. Or maybe that plate is loose, bell could have rung for break time. This is a job for a good body person, can't use guy anymore would be a sexist.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it's a ;17 and it's covered under warranty, take to it the dealership and have them fix it. I work at a Hyundai dealership and I'm still saying this. It sounds like a fairly easy repair, and shouldn't take more than an hour depending on if parts are needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, not only will the dash indicator not turn off, despite ALL of the doors being closed, but the car won't fully lock because of it. Now I checked the button where it tells the car that the door is closed, and for some reason that button, despite being pressed by the door, is telling the car that the door is still open, How can one get this fixed?
Where is the button that I need to push down so my lights can go off and my doors can lock like they are suppose to

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it's a ;17 and it's covered under warranty, take to it the dealership and have them fix it. I work at a Hyundai dealership and I'm still saying this. It sounds like a fairly easy repair, and shouldn't take more than an hour depending on if parts are needed.
What about a 2014 Santa fe limited

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Jamb switch is grounded opening the door closes this switch applying ground to the electronics to indicate that door is opened.

In contrast closing the door opens those contacts so no ground signal is present.

Getting closed contacts is more difficult than having opened contacts, as the contacts may corrode and not make good contact.

To open these contacts, door must be fully close, if you open that door window, and put your hand on it, can you push that door in to kill that indicator light? If so, your door latch needs adjustment.

Elantra uses two weather strips on the doors, that is a lot of rubber to compress to open those switch contacts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
timetracker2643. I have the same problem with my 2013 Santa Fe . Door symbol shows open n wouldn’t go away. How did you resolve your case . Any idea from the rest.

Where is the switch/button that I need to push

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Overhead map lamps can be turned on and off by pressing on the lens, and with all the doors closed. Also have visor lamps, which lamps are you talking about. some over head lamps have a switch, off, on, or auto, auto switches on these lamps with a door open, dome light further back is the same way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts