Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for reading my question! I have a Euro model 2009 Elantra Touring (i30) and the door-closed sensor on the drivers side door is stuck open, even when the door is closed. I know it is the sensor because when I push the door the light goes off, but only while I'm pushing. Could be something got loose, but everything seems to be in place. I can sometimes get the light to go off by putting tape on the hook, but the tape tears so this doesn't work well.

My battery is starting to die, but otherwise the car drives fine and works fine. Is it possible to cut a wire, pull a fuse, or otherwise disconnect the door sensor? I don't need it. What options do I have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
882 Posts
since you said the battery dies, I suggest you to check ground wires, since they can become rusty and create all kinds of connection problems, or get a new ground wire that goes from negative terminal to engine, just sandpaper all surface

for car door you can adjust the latch until it's tight, you can also fix or replace the sensor, just sandpaper the connections, they should be super easy

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,930 Posts
I know it is the sensor because when I push the door the light goes off, but only while I'm pushing.
The sensor (door pin switch) isn't the problem. It's working properly and that's why the light does out when you push on the door.

The problem is the door striker needs adjusted. Moving the striker in towards the inside of the car a little will make the door push more on the pin switch when you close it which will switch the interior light off.

I'm sure when you fix the interior light problem you'll fix the battery drain too, so no need to mess with ground wires at this point IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do I adjust the striker? I should have mentioned, that was the first thing I tried. I removed it, only to see that ts fixed in place with no obvious way of adjusting it. Any ideas? Thanks!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes, you can permanently ground it and the problem is hindered.

Adjusting doors might help if the door is out of alignment. However, I would check if nothing is missing on the location of the sensor where it comes to a contact with the door. Compare to the other side.
Quick fix would be to put a few layer of electrical tape, or hot glue a piece of rubber that would be thick enough to push the sensor.

Any accidents to the car? Maybe something got stuck in the door, like the seal is misplaced and blocking the door from properly closing?

I have never had a situation that a door had to be adjusted if there was no damage to the chassis. That is talking about modern cars, not 80's or earlier, because then it was quite common.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great idea about comparing it to the other door.

The elecrtical tape gets shredded the first time I close the door - the door latch is like a huge pair of scissors. The can is a salvage title, but that was 50K miles ago. It hadn't had any problems before, and the issue just showed up one day. There was a recent fender bender, but it just cracked the bumper cover and didn't do any serious damage. The door seems to shut very well - I can't find any issues with it, but it is possible it is off by just a touch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
307 Posts
The switch should be covered by rubber that may wear off or slide off the pin.
If the switch is too far, you can add a washed under it, just make sure it is grounded.

Other than that - I cannot think of anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts