Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a clear car door edge guard/molding product a couple of years ago - now it has turned yellow and unsightly. I am using it as my garage is pretty tight and am trying to protect the car next to it. Any other product u recommend for my Santa Fe? its white by the way

·
Registered
98 Posts
When they are removed carnage is usually revealed as tiny particles of grit get behind . Door edge protector it is not .

·
Registered
171 Posts
When they are removed carnage is usually revealed as tiny particles of grit get behind . Door edge protector it is not .
Bingo. Never use these plastic clip-on strips of moulding because the trapped grit will destroy your paint.

I would try a stick-on film instead. 3M makes an excellent clear paint protection film. It is expensive, but the film I applied on the hood of my Dodge Caliber is still clear and has not yellowed or peeled even after 10 years of daily outside parking.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bingo. Never use these plastic clip-on strips of moulding because the trapped grit will destroy your paint.

I would try a stick-on film instead. 3M makes an excellent clear paint protection film. It is expensive, but the film I applied on the hood of my Dodge Caliber is still clear and has not yellowed or peeled even after 10 years of daily outside parking.
thx but I was looking to put something on my door to protect the other car. sometimes with the garage being so tight, I open the santa Fe door and hit the other car. wanted some product to cushion my door....

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've also seen stuff like triangular or semi-tubular pieces of foam rubber that one sticks onto the outer door edge.

I would imagine that they add aerodynamic drag and noise, though I don't know how bad it would be.

Or, if you're feeling handy, you could fashion a removable door protector pad of sorts. Get a length of plastic like you see in the picture above, or a thick and firm block of foam rubber (think children's play mat), or even a big rubber hose. Attach some string or cordage to the material and tie some plastic or rubber-coated hooks to the other end of the string. Slightly lower the window of the parked car and hook this pad you just made onto it. As long as the damping pad is at the correct height, you're done. No glue, no permanent attachment, attaches and removes in half a second.

·
Registered
930 Posts
^^ LMFAO that will do it, yeah I’ve had those clear silicone strip on previous vehicle and it looks like sh.it after a few months. If you’re looking to get something protect in tight space maybe use something like this would be more practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
If it is a gummy adhesive Goo Gone should work, also Awesome cleaner from the $1 store works pretty good as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts