Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that even though the doors lock when put in gear, someone could still open the doors while the car is moving, it unlocks from the inside when you pull the handle. I've never seen that on any other car I've owned. Is there possibly a setting that could prevent that?

·
Registered
277 Posts
There was a recall on this very problem when the cars first hit the market.
Hyundai said they fixed the problem early, so you should only be affected if you have a very early car (which should have been recalled already).

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
i noticed something even more troubling. if you are driving past a tree, its possible to swerve the car off the road and drive into the tree. i looked it up and there is no recall for this! (yet, i am hoping!) the only workaround ive found is to not actually swerve off the road and drive into the tree. :innocent:

·
Registered
603 Posts
I assume this is a parody thread. If so, the mods should lock it.

I dont care what type of car you drive, you should be able to open a door from the inside by pulling the handle, even if the doors are locked. This is a safety measure.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I always thought that there is an ongoing debate about this issue. European thinking versus American. Asians are either on one side or the other. If your doors don't open from the inside then there could be trouble in a crash. That is one of the reasons that rear doors now have child locks is so they can't open whether locked or unlocked. Front doors IMHO should be able to unlock when you yank the handle. How else would you be able to McGyver your way out without getting noticed by your captor?

·
Registered
738 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Nov 22 2010, 09:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373822
There was a recall on this very problem when the cars first hit the market.
Hyundai said they fixed the problem early, so you should only be affected if you have a very early car (which should have been recalled already).
I am not so sure that will work..

Why only just last week I had a tree chase me down the street , luckily the Sonata has a quick pickup when pushing down on the gas pedal and I managed to escape a possible accident ........ :whistling:

·
Registered
210 Posts
QUOTE (metsfan @ Nov 22 2010, 09:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373819
Has anyone noticed that even though the doors lock when put in gear, someone could still open the doors while the car is moving, it unlocks from the inside when you pull the handle. I've never seen that on any other car I've owned. Is there possibly a setting that could prevent that?
Just checked - mine do not open from the inside once in gear and the doors are locked..

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just got my car 2weeks ago..and tested it out today...mine opens why driving...

then wtf is the point of locking the doors when it opens from the inside regardless?

and i just want to know whether it is a recall issue or not

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (cctw @ Nov 23 2010, 02:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374042
i just got my car 2weeks ago..and tested it out today...mine opens why driving...

then wtf is the point of locking the doors when it opens from the inside regardless?

and i just want to know whether it is a recall issue or not

have you tried not pulling on the lever?

this thread reminds me of an old joke:

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I hit myself over the head with a hammer."

Doctor: "Stop doing it."

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i don't understand this topic. the doors are locked for your safety while driving and in case of an accident. the locks help keep the doors closed. however, as a safety issue, SOME manufacturers have it so designed that in the need of an emergency, the doors will open ANYTIME the doors are locked, when actively pulling on the release handle. otherwise, the doors won't open. Fords have done it for decades. Honda does not. it's not a flaw or reason for recall....it's working as it was designed to do. if you are worried about it....DON'T PULL ON THE HANDLE WHILE DRIVING!

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (Quigley21 @ Nov 22 2010, 12:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373856
I am not so sure that will work..

Why only just last week I had a tree chase me down the street , luckily the Sonata has a quick pickup when pushing down on the gas pedal and I managed to escape a possible accident ........ :whistling:
Well, if one does catch up to you,

at least you can open the door while driving and escape!

:grin:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
And for the rear passengers you can always put on the Child Safety lock. That's if they have an urge to jump out while driving. I remember on some Fords the first time you pull the handle it would unlock the door and the second time you pulled it it would open the door. That would have been a better idea.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Perhaps the OP was referring to the child locks on the rear doors(?) If so, set the tab on the open edge of the rear door to "lock", and your young 'uns will be safe until you choose to let them out.

As for the front doors, think of them as the "emergency exit" beside which only responsible adults should sit. Should this result in the occasional drunk driver removing himself from the gene pool by stepping outside for a pee at 140 km/h, well, think of that as a safety feature too. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
QUOTE (PattyNY811 @ Nov 22 2010, 11:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373875
Just checked - mine do not open from the inside once in gear and the doors are locked..
I can open the driver door from the inside while I am driving with the all doors locked... Haven't tried other doors.
:p

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well get this, I just noticed that there is not audible alert to tell me that my car is about to run out of fuel. Imagine that!!! While I'm busy keeping my eyes on the road, I don't even know the status of my fuel. This is a significant safety hazard.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB or recall for this? I've spoken with the BBB, my attorney and my service writer (he rolled his eyes then ran off laughing, I thought that was strange) I can't believe that Hyundai would omit such an important, life saving, walking preventative.

My old Oldsmobile would give me a tone to let me know that my fuel was about to be used up. Can I return my car?

Ray

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (crayb @ Dec 2 2010, 03:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376310
Well get this, I just noticed that there is not audible alert to tell me that my car is about to run out of fuel. Imagine that!!! While I'm busy keeping my eyes on the road, I don't even know the status of my fuel. This is a significant safety hazard.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB or recall for this? I've spoken with the BBB, my attorney and my service writer (he rolled his eyes then ran off laughing, I thought that was strange) I can't believe that Hyundai would omit such an important, life saving, walking preventative.

My old Oldsmobile would give me a tone to let me know that my fuel was about to be used up. Can I return my car?

Ray
I would see this the other way around. The sound would annoy me when I know that fuel is running out and I'm looking for a petrol station :innocent:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (crayb @ Dec 2 2010, 02:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376310

Ray
*Snicker*

:innocent:

·
Registered
52 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Nov 22 2010, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373824
i noticed something even more troubling. if you are driving past a tree, its possible to swerve the car off the road and drive into the tree. i looked it up and there is no recall for this! (yet, i am hoping!) the only workaround ive found is to not actually swerve off the road and drive into the tree. :innocent:
Please, please, PLEASE do not tell the government, or we will have new tree-prevention regulations before the end of the week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts