Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheesh...the fob detaches so easily from the valet key in ordinary handling. I lost one on Day 3 of ownership some months back and have never found it. Service manager at my dealership in suburban Chicago admitted his has detached on more than one occassion, too. I've since taped my remaining one so pushing the release button does not make it separate. Always gotta keep an eye on the tape, though, as it wears easily with other keys rubbing against it.

Called the dealer recently to inquire about a replacement. Learned a new one costs over $170. Gulp. "Then there's an additional $60 charge to progam it," said the dealer. Sigh.

Fellow forum member here heard of my plight and sold me one from his wrecked '11 at a VERY generous discount, knowing I'd still have to pay 60 bucks to get it programmed. Bless him. Neither of us knew for sure that the plan would work, but I thought "Why wouldn't it?"

Well, I took it to the dealer for programming yesterday. They worked on it for quite a while until giving me the sad news: Can't be done. The fob can only be programmed once. It can't be RE-programmed. I'll double check on this, of course, but they're probably right.

So now, I'll HAVE to eventually get a new one. I'll be out almost $300 total by the time this is done--new fob, programming, used fob. And I'm sure the longer I wait, the more expensive the replacement and the programming fee will get.

Grrr....

BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR REMOTES!

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's another reason I am glad I have the El-Cheapo GLS Keyfob. :banana:

·
Registered
652 Posts
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Nov 6 2010, 02:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369529
Sheesh...the fob detaches so easily from the valet key in ordinary handling. I lost one on Day 3 of ownership some months back and have never found it. Service manager at my dealership in suburban Chicago admitted his has detached on more than one occassion, too. I've since taped my remaining one so pushing the release button does not make it separate. Always gotta keep an eye on the tape, though, as it wears easily with other keys rubbing against it.

Called the dealer recently to inquire about a replacement. Learned a new one costs over $170. Gulp. "Then there's an additional $60 charge to progam it," said the dealer. Sigh.

Fellow forum member here heard of my plight and sold me one from his wrecked '11 at a VERY generous discount, knowing I'd still have to pay 60 bucks to get it programmed. Bless him. Neither of us knew for sure that the plan would work, but I thought "Why wouldn't it?"

Well, I took it to the dealer for programming yesterday. They worked on it for quite a while until giving me the sad news: Can't be done. The fob can only be programmed once. It can't be RE-programmed. I'll double check on this, of course, but they're probably right.

So now, I'll HAVE to eventually get a new one. I'll be out almost $300 total by the time this is done--new fob, programming, used fob. And I'm sure the longer I wait, the more expensive the replacement and the programming fee will get.

Grrr....

BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR REMOTES!
Geez, Louise. What a cheapo.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Nov 6 2010, 02:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369529
I don't think I buy that. Typically, the car is programmed to accept the replacement fob. The fob has a preset frequency which is learned by the car, not the other way around. It shouldn't matter that the fob has been programmed into a different car before. Any fob of the same manufacturer should be be useable with any car that is programmed to accept it. I know I have done this several times with other makes of cars. Don't think Hyundai would be any different.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (11yfLtd @ Nov 6 2010, 04:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369559
I don't think I buy that. Typically, the car is programmed to accept the replacement fob. The fob has a preset frequency which is learned by the car, not the other way around. It shouldn't matter that the fob has been programmed into a different car before. Any fob of the same manufacturer should be be useable with any car that is programmed to accept it. I know I have done this several times with other makes of cars. Don't think Hyundai would be any different.

+1 I am with you I have never heard of this before. I would only believe this from a vehicle like BMW where the mileage get programed into the keys. Every time you remove the key from a BMW is writes the mileage to the key (from what I was told). Hyundai uses a rolling transponder. There is no reason why it cannot be or should not be programmed to another vehicle. Unless the program is downloaded from Hyundai's server and once the code is registered they will not allow a tech to reuse that code? I know with Chrysler and Me/Benz the dealer techs need to call to get a code to allow them to program a new key. They need the serial number from the replacement key and the VIN. Maybe it is something like that?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 6 2010, 03:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369561
+1 I am with you I have never heard of this before. I would only believe this from a vehicle like BMW where the mileage get programed into the keys. Every time you remove the key from a BMW is writes the mileage to the key (from what I was told). Hyundai uses a rolling transponder. There is no reason why it cannot be or should not be programmed to another vehicle. Unless the program is downloaded from Hyundai's server and once the code is registered they will not allow a tech to reuse that code? I know with Chrysler and Me/Benz the dealer techs need to call to get a code to allow them to program a new key. They need the serial number from the replacement key and the VIN. Maybe it is something like that?
Thanks, Joeeey and 11yfltd. Not sure what I can do at this point other than get a second opinion. I will.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would imagine it would depend on the chip they use to program... some chips are reprogramable some are not.....

If they even use a chip, technology has gone far beyond and this may be the cheapest way to make the fob for them...

Be thankful they gave you two to start.......

My wife lost one of the keys for her Ford truck .... It cost me $150 for another key and have it programed, then another $50 for a third key... But they told me I could program the third myself next time....Said the instructions were in the manual.....

Too bad we can'd do that..

Since you have one that is supposedly unuseable, why not open it up carefully and take pics of what is in inside...

Some computer geek somewhere just might be able to hack it for you once he sees what is in there..... Worth a shot....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts