Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of times the manufactures inflate the tires way above the recommended during shipping to help the tire keep its shape while its not being used. I got my SE and checked the next day after the tires had cooled and they were 6-7 PSI over the recommended amount. This make a huge difference especially in low profile tires like the SE. I lowered mine a little bit lower than the recommended(35) to 33 to improve ride. A 2 psi up or down wont hurt the tires, its all about preference. My tires before adjusted were 41-42psi. This will certainly help the SE ride feel much better over bumps

·
Registered
426 Posts
yeah, it was explained they ship them that way so they can chain them down tight on the truck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
QUOTE (BiXLL @ Apr 24 2010, 11:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316481
yeah, it was explained they ship them that way so they can chain them down tight on the truck.
Why wouldn't the tire pressure be changed back on arrival at the dealers?

If using the correct tire pressure is going to give the best results, it seems like a no brainer if you want test drives to lead to sales.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (akalucas @ Apr 24 2010, 06:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316462
A lot of times the manufactures inflate the tires way above the recommended during shipping to help the tire keep its shape while its not being used. I got my SE and checked the next day after the tires had cooled and they were 6-7 PSI over the recommended amount. This make a huge difference especially in low profile tires like the SE. I lowered mine a little bit lower than the recommended(35) to 33 to improve ride. A 2 psi up or down wont hurt the tires, its all about preference. My tires before adjusted were 41-42psi. This will certainly help the SE ride feel much better over bumps
A common selling Technique done at the local level is to overinflate tires to 41 or so. This is done as the tire looks better. Many posts here

on this subject. The Pre Delivery Inspection, and the person that prepped your Car did not do a proper job. Most of them don't.

·
Registered
426 Posts
QUOTE (Swingman @ Apr 24 2010, 11:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316484
Why wouldn't the tire pressure be changed back on arrival at the dealers?

If using the correct tire pressure is going to give the best results, it seems like a no brainer if you want test drives to lead to sales.
I suspect simple oversight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another reason the psi is left high, they don't know how long the car will sit on the lot for. With higher psi, it helps to prevent flat spots for the tires sitting for months at a time. In a perfect world, the sales dept would have the service set the psi before delivery of the car, but that doesn't always happen.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (sjl1614 @ Apr 25 2010, 08:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316581
Another reason the psi is left high, they don't know how long the car will sit on the lot for. With higher psi, it helps to prevent flat spots for the tires sitting for months at a time. In a perfect world, the sales dept would have the service set the psi before delivery of the car, but that doesn't always happen.

Sitting for months at a time? I don't think dealers leave their cars sitting for months at a time. It may be different everywhere but I would think the dealers would at least move the cars weekly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for this heads up - got mine Monday and yep - checked the tire pressure and it was way over inflated. Would not have bothered to check except for this post!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mine were low at 30psi; go figure. Set them at 35 (17" tires can handle 44psi, by the way). It's a good ideal to check your tire pressures every week or two, especially when it's getting colder, as you lose pressure with declining temperatures (1 psi every 10º). Good day gang.

·
Registered
814 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 16 2010, 11:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323388
Mine were low at 30psi; go figure. Set them at 35 (17" tires can handle 44psi, by the way). It's a good ideal to check your tire pressures every week or two, especially when it's getting colder, as you lose pressure with declining temperatures (1 psi every 10º). Good day gang.
I may be too anal but i checked the tire pressure on the day of delivery. Found it to be only 2 psi over the recommended psi of 33 for the wimpy GLS tires. I also checked the donut spare tire at it was low at 55psi when it should be 60 psi. Most people don't bother to check the spare tire psi but it can be important too. Must be the safety engineer part of me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts