Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's strange, it feels like something is loose, not the steering wheel but the column that the steering wheel attaches to, this only happens when going over dips or bumps, any time the wheels take impact.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Jul 24 2010, 03:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344421
it's strange, it feels like something is loose, not the steering wheel but the column that the steering wheel attaches to, this only happens when going over dips or bumps, any time the wheels take impact.
Yup, I have that too sometimes. (the second thing on my list for the first service after my transmission gremlin) I don't have it all the time, most of the time it is solid and but occasionally I get something that sounds like some mechanical play in the column

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've never felt this...but it sounds very unnerving! Is this something that developed slowly since you purchased it?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
yup i get the clunk in my s wheel going over patched rough pavement, when I shake the wheel left and right with car off i feel a clunk in it..
not from the front end, it seems to be in the colum itself...

·
Registered
124 Posts
You do have your tilt steering locked?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's fully locked, this is an issue that hyundai will have to address.

I'll have it checked out when I go in for first oil change.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The electric power steering on this car sucks big time. Feels like crap, it's overboosted even at highway speeds, which is retarded, and feels like it's disconnected from the wheels indeed, especially on bumps, etc. Unfortunately, it's the way of the future. Even the new BMW 5 series have electric steering now, but I can't imagine being nearly this crappy.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Jul 25 2010, 10:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344748
The electric power steering on this car sucks big time. Feels like crap, it's overboosted even at highway speeds, which is retarded, and feels like it's disconnected from the wheels indeed, especially on bumps, etc. Unfortunately, it's the way of the future. Even the new BMW 5 series have electric steering now, but I can't imagine being nearly this crappy.
i find the steering nicely weighted at speed but the cars very twitchy heavy winds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Understand that this is an old thread but my 2011 Sonata GLS does the same thing (purchased 1/2011). It feels as if the steering column and front subframe are loose and it is particularly bad on washboard surfaces. (there are many of these in NJ.) Dealer has no idea what the problem is but is willing to "work" with me to try and find the problem. If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it. I have less than 3,000 miles on the clock and hope that this isn't a start of more problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 09 does this too! Feels like the right side undercarriage is loose over rough roads. I inquired, and was told that all is well at first service. The car now has 9,500 miles on it.
So, only a few of us have this sloppy feeling steering, or suspension? This car has been a fine little car, so far, but if this isn't normal, things are going to change.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Maya got rid of his Sonata some time ago. He went with a more expensive ride. As far as the problem you describe, I'd do the following:
Take it to the dealer again,
Ask them to verify the proper tire pressure in all four corners,
Then put her up on a lift and torque every frame and suspension nut and bolt they can reach.
Then lower her down and finish the rest of them from the topside.
Follow up with a washboard test drive.
That would rule out many possible causes and make the mechanic much more acquanted with lots of componets.
Maybe things would be better then.
One other thought; you aren't coming off a Corvette or 911 are you? Suggesting that your standards might be high for a grocery getter if that is the case.
:00000732:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
QUOTE (willis02 @ Aug 2 2011, 07:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=484860
Understand that this is an old thread but my 2011 Sonata GLS does the same thing (purchased 1/2011). It feels as if the steering column and front subframe are loose and it is particularly bad on washboard surfaces. (there are many of these in NJ.) Dealer has no idea what the problem is but is willing to "work" with me to try and find the problem. If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it. I have less than 3,000 miles on the clock and hope that this isn't a start of more problems.
I would have them go directly to the "lower control arm bushings". What you are experiencing may be the by-product of those bushings not being tight enough or defective.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the insight and the speedy response. My other car is a 2008 Honda CRV and I traded in a 2006 Scion XA for this car. Not exactly a Porsche or Corvette but I can dream. Anyway, I will set up an apointment with the dealer and let everyone know what they find.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Somehow my previous post "mysteriously" was deleted. Maybe because it contained less than favorable opinions about the Sonata. Anyway, what I said in my deleted post was that my Honda Accord I bought with 5 miles, on it, and traded with 95000 miles still at 95000 miles felt more solidly built than this POS. The steering column is definitely locked down, but it rattles everytime I go across railroad tracks close to work. The sheet metal is thin, the buttons are shallow, and take many times pressing for the to function (either the cancel on cruise control, or window buttons).

The road noise at even 10-40 MPH is horrible.

This car has great features, but I doubt it will last. I view this car as disposable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have this exact same issue. I am actually bringing my car in thus afternoon tor this and 2 other concerns. The steering clunk noise I experience happens most when driving slow over rough Rough pavement. Especially turning left into my driveway. It feels as though my steering column is loose Or something is disconnected. The feeling does not occur when driving down the road.

I completely agree with the statement above regarding the longevity of this car. Scary!!!!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts