Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Tucson takes around ten miles before I get any useful heat out of it.
It's winter here in Eastern US, and it's really cold.
My Santa Fe and Rav4 warm up in about one to two miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello! I have a 2016 Tuscon Sport 1.6T and i feel it takes FOREVER for that thing to get warm. y engine temp stays below the C mark for the 15 min i have it started before i drive and then another 15 minutes driving before i start to see the needle rise.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 1.6T also warms very slow :( When climate control is in auto mode, it takes forever to start blowing warm. But I increase fan speed manually and it is better. Also, engine need long drive to get on working temperature. Really bad surprise for me, who also have Lada Niva and it blows warm after 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep, It was really noticeable at 12 degrees this morning. Just glad I have the heated seats. Those work faster than any seat heaters in any other car I've had. They added the heated steering wheel for MY 2018. That would have been terrific.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I havent felt like its cold. It is for few minutes only but I do have heated steering and seats which gets pretty warm fast but the steering wheel could get warmer though...

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I get heat usually within 2 miles leaving my neighborhood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have noticed that it does take much longer to warm up. I had a '16 Santa Fe Sport that took much less time to heat up than my '17 Tucson does.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine takes way too long compared to my old 2012 Ford Focus. It's like 5 miles vs. 1 mile.

Anyone know of a good engine heater that works with the Tucson?

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
216 Posts
My Tucson takes around ten miles before I get any useful heat out of it.
It's winter here in Eastern US, and it's really cold.
My Santa Fe and Rav4 warm up in about one to two miles.
Operating time versus miles traveled.

Why the focus on miles traveled rather than operating time? It seems to me that operating time is more indicative of operating temperature than miles traveled.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't comment on the 2016 Tucson. I don't have one of those. But my 2017 Tucson heats up just like any other car I've owned. Takes about 20 minutes to get a proper heat going.
When it's as cold out as it is now, it is definitely not good for an engine to just fire it up and pull off. You gotta let the temp go up at least a little bit to get the oil running over all the parts as needed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems to me that the operating time is when I am driving those ten miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
10 miles seems about right to me. In the past weeks we had several days where the temp was below zero F and the temp would barely move for much longer (started to get some heat around 10 miles, but the temp gauge barely moved). Winter mileage also drops considerably (and I don't 'warm the car' before leaving so it is not related to that). The heated seats help and I wish the heated steering wheel was an option here in the States.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Compared to the `17 Santa Fe Sport that I'm driving, yes the warm up is slower compared to that and compared to my previous Soul 2.0L.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good observation. I can say the same thing about my 17 Sport 1.6 (same engine as the Limited). The colder it gets outside, the longer it seems to take and we're having temps in the teens which is waaaay below normal!! But, the air tends to be at least a little warm even before the temp needle moves up from the C. It doesn't get fully hot till its at the short line below the 1/2 mark, but that little heat can make it feel a bit better. Still, it takes a long time for the engine to get to full operational temp and full hot air. I wonder why that is? Smaller coolant capacity maybe? Or smaller heater core to fit in the smaller chassis?

Heated seats do come in handy....but I see now that heated steering wheel would be a huge help as leather tends to be cold to the touch!!!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
There was an issue with the early build Sonata YF's. The coolant body was designed in such a manner that the coolant was able to get by the thermostat and cause heating issues (long to warm; unable to maintain hot air). I wonder if such an issue is also with the Tucsons?

·
Registered
842 Posts
We had a larger discussion about this some time back. But the TLDR version is, if you jump on the highway, it warms up very quickly, but if on some suburban roads or urban roads, it take 15-20 minutes to heat up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My 2017 2.0L takes about 20 minutes to warm up to where the needle starts to move. That's no even to where it's blowing warm air from the vents. That might take another 10 minutes. Doesn't matter if I'm on the freeway or city streets.

Granted, it's been +15f down to -2f these past few weeks. But even when it was in the 30f-50f range, and brand new just two months ago, I noticed that this vehicle does not warm up even as quick as my old 5.7L V8 1994 Impala SS.

·
Registered
842 Posts
My 2017 2.0L takes about 20 minutes to warm up to where the needle starts to move. That's no even to where it's blowing warm air from the vents. That might take another 10 minutes. Doesn't matter if I'm on the freeway or city streets.

Granted, it's been +15f down to -2f these past few weeks. But even when it was in the 30f-50f range, and brand new just two months ago, I noticed that this vehicle does not warm up even as quick as my old 5.7L V8 1994 Impala SS.
I didn't think the 2.0L Naturally Aspirated engine had the warmup issue, you might have a problem with your car if it takes 30 minutes to get warm air. My 1.6T gets warm before that, and it's been less than 1F here in the mornings.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just timed mine tonight. 27 degrees. It took 4 miles and 8 minutes to go from full cold start to normal operating temperature w/full heat. Half of that was on the highway at 70mph.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts