305 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Rosen does not fully integrate with the Sonata. Yes it does give you steering wheel and aux controls but it does not fully integrate with the existing radio. It replaces it. I actually bought one and returned it because it did not have the full integration I needed. I could not use the factory Bluetooth or the USB any longer. I called Rosen and they said I had to use their USB input and not the one in the car. I went with UNAVI because of its full integration.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's actually not true, at all (and sorry I'm just getting to this reply now, I know this thread is old!!).

I've got full Bluetooth, with streaming music off my phone, as well as USB (both for charging and playing music off a USB stick). Literally everything works, as if it were factory Hyundai equipment. My satellite radio works, iPod integration works...everything.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also have the Rosen (which is discontinued btw). It is just an OK unit. It does have bluetooth built in, and you can stream music also. What astark was refering to was the UNAVI actually using the factory head unit itself, so it is not just integrating, it is actually using the OEM unit, and adding a navigation screen, and changing the user interface. Thats it. No DVD function, still the horrible ipod function, etc etc. The Rosen is better because it has the preout already built in, so you can add your own amps if you choose to, without a hi/low converter. Their ipod function is pretty aweful also. Search is a pain on both. But overall, I think the Rosen is a better choice. It can be found on Ebay directly from Rosen for $415. Not bad.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, the pre-outs are really nice, I've got a sub in the trunk and I'm grateful for those pre-outs because I absolutely HATE using converters.

Why does anyone care if the unit replaces the factory radio? Does that matter, if all the integration functions work?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah, the pre-outs are really nice, I've got a sub in the trunk and I'm grateful for those pre-outs because I absolutely HATE using converters.

Why does anyone care if the unit replaces the factory radio? Does that matter, if all the integration functions work?
Because some people dont want another ipod cable, and want to use the one already in the vehicle, along with the USB port. Some people dont want another microphone for bluetooth, since there is already one in the vehicle. Some people want to use Bluelink, for whatever reason beyond my comprehension. Those are just a few reasons someone would want full integration, for what its worth.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Because some people dont want another ipod cable, and want to use the one already in the vehicle, along with the USB port. Some people dont want another microphone for bluetooth, since there is already one in the vehicle. Some people want to use Bluelink, for whatever reason beyond my comprehension. Those are just a few reasons someone would want full integration, for what its worth.
Hm. My Rosen unit has all that (minus the Bluelink, but I didn't have Bluelink before either). I didn't replace the microphone, the ipod cable or the usb, it's all stock right where it was from the factory, and integrates into the Rosen head unit. This is why I'm struggling I guess to understand why there's this hate-on for this unit. Everything works perfectly, without replacing anything (other than the head unit itself of course).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hm. My Rosen unit has all that (minus the Bluelink, but I didn't have Bluelink before either). I didn't replace the microphone, the ipod cable or the usb, it's all stock right where it was from the factory, and integrates into the Rosen head unit. This is why I'm struggling I guess to understand why there's this hate-on for this unit. Everything works perfectly, without replacing anything (other than the head unit itself of course).
umm, you absolutely have a different ipod cable (it is white and comes from the back of the Rosen unit, instead of the built in ipod and usb one in the vehicle already, as that one ONLY works with the factory radio), The microphone is on the Rosen itself, on the left side (rather than the factory one in the headliner right above the driver), Bluelink is only audio when the Rosen is installed (the factory has more vehicle information included on the factory radio user interface, not available when the Rosen is installed). The ipod function is horrible, but so was the factory one. Nobody is hating on the Rosen unit, but it is not fully integrated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I guess you're right, I never considered that the mic was on the unit and not connected to the one on the headliner. I guess the question is, who cares, really? And yep, you're right about the white iPod cable too - guess I never really gave it that much thought.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I guess you're right, I never considered that the mic was on the unit and not connected to the one on the headliner. I guess the question is, who cares, really? And yep, you're right about the white iPod cable too - guess I never really gave it that much thought.
The person who wants all of the features the same as from Hyundai, thats who cares. I have never used my Bluelink at all, but some people use it all the time, and they would lose all of the on screen information, which for some is a deal breaker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts