Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the warranty cover seats? If so, what exactly will it cover?

The passenger seat has little support on the side. When you get out of the seat, your butt drops to the floor. I can even squeeze the side with my hand with little effort, just like a sponge (driver's side feels a lot more firm). Not sure if this is normal, although I'd think it isn't, but before I cry to the dealer about it, I'd thought I'd ask if it's something they'll even look at.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Materials and workmanship.. not sure how far it'll go though..

Comfort complaints about YF Sonata seat here in the past, that just the way they mold the foam filler for the seat shape prior to placing decorative material over to make it pretty visually.

Maybe check with service, and ask for DPSM to meet you and see the concern ?

·
Registered
893 Posts
If the seat is "defective in materials and workmanship" and the problem doesn't fall under "normal wear and tear" than it should be covered under the general warranty. But you can't just decide after owning a car for a year or two that you think the seat isn't high quality enough, comfortable enough, or wasn't designed properly.

- Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the seat is "defective in materials and workmanship" and the problem doesn't fall under "normal wear and tear" than it should be covered under the general warranty. But you can't just decide after owning a car for a year or two that you think the seat isn't high quality enough, comfortable enough, or wasn't designed properly.

- Mark
Considering that I've only owned it for two months and am not typically a passenger in my own car, I don't think it's fair to assume that I'm having buyers remorse

·
Registered
893 Posts
Considering that I've only owned it for two months and am not typically a passenger in my own car, I don't think it's fair to assume that I'm having buyers remorse
I assumed nothing. I was just answering your question - if the seat is defective and a new one would solve your problem, it should be covered; if the seat is not defective and a new one wouldn't solve your problem as you simply think it should be firmer, then they're not going to cover it.

- Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, went to look at it, and yeah, the support is awful compared to the driver's side. Also found this just hanging out in the open.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2875/0yaj.jpg

But then the flap-like part that goes down into the seat lifted up with a button on the end. The driver's side has that split but its a lot less visible, and there was no flap piece that lifted up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What if the the stitching is becoming undone on the leather seats. The car is less than a year old and I bought it brand new 12 miles? Now it has over 10,000, but the stitching problem starting happening around 4000 miles.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Typically, I have found that most manu's will not cover seat wear past about 5000 miles. If you complain enough they may do a one-time courtesy swap on the seat cover (leather especially).

The Sonata seats are a bit flat anyway so that will be on the owner to devise a support device for the bottom cushion. eBay may be of help here. However, be sure whatever you get to fix this does not interfere with the sensors in the seat. This could affect the side airbag deploying if you get in an accident.

After 74K I have just learned to raise the seat up and deal with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts