Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of touch with advancements in US emission standards, and was wondering if new cars still use the same OBDII standard? I have a code scanner for my 1998 Trans Am that reads OBDII codes and was wondering if I should expect it to work on the Sonata?

If not, does anyone knnow if they still make over the counter code scanners that work on modern cars?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
OBD-II per .gov regulations since 1996...

Supposedly an OBD-3 somewhere down the road..

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The ScanGage II is a pretty cool device. It is an OBDII reader and does much more. Google it. It is expensive, but sometimes you can find one used for a good price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I plugged in my ELM327 OBD II Scanner (Scan Tool 5?) and got nothing. Hyundai's vehicle bus delivers codes that the ELM327 just won't recognize with normal off the shelf software. I think you really need Hyundai GDS software which is only sold to dealers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You have to have a CAN (Controller Area Network) capable scanner or code reader to read late model OBD2 systems. Early OB2 code readers will not work with late model vehicles. CAN systems started around 2005 or so on most cars.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (11yfLtd @ Nov 15 2010, 06:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371946
You have to have a CAN (Controller Area Network) capable scanner or code reader to read late model OBD2 systems. Early OB2 code readers will not work with late model vehicles. CAN systems started around 2005 or so on most cars.
Aaah, well the plot thickens!!! Perhaps my 1998-circa scangauge will not work after all! :) Oh well, not a huge deal. I hope to go a LONG time with the new car before I even have to worry about error codes! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts