Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post on the group.
I have a 2015-16 Hyundai Elantra GLS. 2.0 . A mechanic removed the battery from my running engine to change the battery. He left it running so the radio settings wouldn't be erased. He said this is how I check you alternator too.
What chance is their that it damaged my electricical system and how long would it take to know?
Thanks,
Allen

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yes, it can cause damage. The damage would have been immediately noticed.
That mechanic is pressing his luck.
Besides providing power to start the car, the battery smooths out and stabilizes the voltage in the electrical system.
The alternator cannot quickly change its output current.
If the load rapidly drops alternator voltage can spike to 30V or even more.
This was not an issue in the days before on board computers.
The early transistorized radios had circuitry to absorb alternator "load dump" surges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Circuitsmith,
Thanks for taking the time to write the excellent reply. It's so frustrating to find mechanics that don't know how to do the job right when they work on your equipment. I would have thought they should have learned that in school or apprenticeship. It was a Midas Muffler.

Allen

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It was a Midas Muffler
The name says it all. They should stick with mufflers!
I advise you avoid franchise shops and look for an independent shop with good ratings on yelp etc.
Also, ask friends & family where they've had good experiences.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
a lot of good techs have something like this in their toolbox

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,159 Posts
a lot of good techs have something like this in their toolbox
The really good techs just retune the customer's radio and reset the clock, electric windows, etc whenever they disconnect the battery for some reason.

And those memory saver things don't work on a lot of cars (including Hyundai) because the power sockets are only live when the ignition is switched on.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The really good techs just retune the customer's radio and reset the clock, electric windows, etc whenever they disconnect the battery for some reason.
The really clever techs use a memory saver that clips on to the battery clamps.
No need to take time resetting stuff, or even getting into the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
625 Posts
He said this is how I check you alternator too.
What chance is their that it damaged my electricical system and how long would it take to know?
What kind of mechanic would Jeoperdize there customers vehicle like this.? sounds like a moron if You ask me. any problem may not show up right away until later down the road. make sure if any electrical problem shows up that he's acountable for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hi and thanks,

I asked the mechanic if he had a obd-2 power back pack and he said yes and didn't use it. I think I'll buy one myself.
What kind of mechanic would Jeoperdize there customers vehicle like this.? sounds like a moron if You ask me. any problem may not show up right away until later down the road. make sure if any electrical problem shows up that he's acountable for.
Thank you, I agree 👍

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,551 Posts
I heard that there are memory savers that plug into the ODBII connector.
And that some vehicles need to use the memory saver or the computer will not work
If that happens then the computer needs to be re-programmed at the dealership
And then there are other vehicles that need to be told the battery was changed
Even the simple things seem to get more complex

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And that some vehicles need to use the memory saver or the computer will not work

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The ECM uses flash-memory that doesn't need a battery...there are aspects of the program that will return to a (hopefully) usable default setting.

Reactions: Allen2009

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,551 Posts
The ECM uses flash-memory that doesn't need a battery...there are aspects of the program that will return to a (hopefully) usable default setting.
Hopefully is the key word. And not necessarily the ECM.
BMW's require programming the IBS (intelligent battery system) of when a new battery is put in

Yeah, I know this is not a Bimmer. Just saying stuff I heard about.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Beamer? :coffee:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
BMW and other European makes do a lot of nonsense with electronics, like radios that lock up if the battery is disconnected (anti theft).
I have a co-worker who like to buy used BMW 7 series sedans. He's an engineer who likes to tinker.
He's a big guy and I can appreciate his driving experience, when they're working right!
Not a month goes by without him tinkering in the parking lot.
Once the electric fan for the alternator (!) went out. He came to me because I have a box of 12V fans taken from old computers and other gear.
Couldn't get it done because the BMW fan sends a speed signal to the engine computer and a generic fan without that signal couldn't make it happy.
So he was forced to pay an exorbitant price for something that shouldn't be needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts