Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone knows if the newest iPhone (5s w/lightning cable) works with the USB port on the 2013 Accent GLS? I am having a heck of a time trying to find any answers via Google search...

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I don't know - hopefully someone else does (something to try on the test drive.)

Works has various meanings on modern cars - i.e.:
  • I'm almost positive you could use a mini-jack cable to the AUX input and play songs, selecting them on the iPhone.
  • You might be able to play files via USB after selecting them on the phone but not select them on the head unit.
  • You may (probably can) plug the phone into USB and select songs from it with the head unit. It might (probably will) display artist and title info.
  • You might be able to stream music from the phone to the radio via Bluetooth.
  • You might be able to select music from the phone using the radio via Bluetooth.
  • Regardless, if it doesn't work at all (other than the AUX port), you could move the music from the iPhone to a $20 USB stick, or replace the radio with something that IS iPhone 5 compatible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an Iphone 5 with lightning cable and it works fine (with the steering wheel controls as well) for Canadian model anyway.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have an Iphone 5 with lightning cable and it works fine (with the steering wheel controls as well) for Canadian model anyway.
How do you connect it to the radio? The old iPod cable had both USB and a 1/8th stereo plug molded into one side.. The stereo plug provided the audio.. The other side of the cable had the 30 pin pin apple plug that fit the older iPod, iPhone, iPad. It worked great with my iPad 1.

It looked like this: Genuine Hyundai iPod Cable 2009+ Models

I just picked up an iPad Air with the new lightning plug and was assuming I needed an adapter to connect the lighting plug to the old fashioned Hyundai iPod cable.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So, out of curiosity, I ran out to the car (in the freezing cold) and tried using just the supplied Lightning to USB cable that came with the iPad. It doesn't work. The radio reports "Error reading USB".

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
In Elantra there was a mid year model change of the radio to support Apple lightning cable when iphone5 came out. Its a completely different looking radio. Do you guys know if the RB Accent has more than one radio option? I don't think iPhone5 was on the market when the vehicle went into production.

You guys may have to use the traditional cable with lightning plug adapter on the end.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My Iphone 5s works just fine. I do not use the cable in the car unless I am charging. Bluetooth works well enough, and If I want to increase the "neglegable" difference in audio for a somewhat better sound I use 3.5mm jack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How do you connect it to the radio? The old iPod cable had both USB and a 1/8th stereo plug molded into one side.. The stereo plug provided the audio.. The other side of the cable had the 30 pin pin apple plug that fit the older iPod, iPhone, iPad. It worked great with my iPad 1.

It looked like this: Genuine Hyundai iPod Cable 2009+ Models

I just picked up an iPad Air with the new lightning plug and was assuming I needed an adapter to connect the lighting plug to the old fashioned Hyundai iPod cable.
Just with the lightning cable it plays and controls find just through the USB port. I have read on this forum that American cars have had problems. Maybe the Canadian cars are spec's differently.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Iphone 5s works just fine. I do not use the cable in the car unless I am charging. Bluetooth works well enough, and If I want to increase the "neglegable" difference in audio for a somewhat better sound I use 3.5mm jack.
Compared to the bluetooth, you get better sound via the 3.5mm jack? I thought the 3.5mm was on the lowest end of sound quality?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just with the lightning cable it plays and controls find just through the USB port. I have read on this forum that American cars have had problems. Maybe the Canadian cars are spec's differently.
What year is your car? If it's a 2013, then they might have changed the way the USB works to accept the new Apple cable.. It would be interesting to know if this is the case.

My car is a 2012, and is Canadian.... As I mentioned. If I connect the USB end of my Lighting cable to the stereo, it just fails with a message stating that it can't read the USB.

·
Registered
626 Posts
What year is your car? If it's a 2013, then they might have changed the way the USB works to accept the new Apple cable.. It would be interesting to know if this is the case.

My car is a 2012, and is Canadian.... As I mentioned. If I connect the USB end of my Lighting cable to the stereo, it just fails with a message stating that it can't read the USB.
You cannot directly plug in the the lightning cable to the factory USB port. You must use the provided the Hyundai iPod cable with a lightning adapter such as Lightning to 30-pin Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.) for it to work.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a accent gls and an iphone 5s and as krazeaznboy said it won't work with just the lightning to the usb. Apple does not allow this, you need the Hyundai ipod cable and the lightning adapter.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Mine is a Canadian 2013 and works fine with just the Lightning adapter.
It looks like they changed something in 2013 so the radio will work with the new lightning plug without the need for an adapter. If you have time, could you check your radio firmware?

First turn the radio off, then turn the ignition key off and then on again. (The radio should be off when you turn the key back on)..

Then press the 1 and 6 buttons at the same time. The firmware will display. (See my radio display attached below):

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You cannot directly plug in the the lightning cable to the factory USB port. You must use the provided the Hyundai iPod cable with a lightning adapter such as Lightning to 30-pin Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.) for it to work.
I've done this (Lightning to 30-pin adapter), and it pretty much works.. It still has issues. For instance, if I try and change the song on the steering wheel, or on the phone itself, it malfunctions..

I tried using the Apple USB to lightning cable that came with the iphone 5s, and it doesn't work at all for music—it only changes the phone.

I think I will stick with using bluetooth for everything except charging the phone (I'll use the hyundai adapter for that). Besides, the music sounds the same (maybe better even) on bluetooth compared to the hyundai adapter.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've done this (Lightning to 30-pin adapter), and it pretty much works.. It still has issues. For instance, if I try and change the song on the steering wheel, or on the phone itself, it malfunctions..

I tried using the Apple USB to lightning cable that came with the iphone 5s, and it doesn't work at all for music—it only changes the phone.

I think I will stick with using bluetooth for everything except charging the phone (I'll use the hyundai adapter for that). Besides, the music sounds the same (maybe better even) on bluetooth compared to the hyundai adapter.
You are having issues when changing the songs? That's interesting. It works flawlessly for me.

Bluetooth is better than the Hyundai adapter? That's crazy talk :eek:. It's either you still have the stock sound system, the music on your iPhone is at a low bitrate, or both. ^_^

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry - mine is a GL not GLS - must be a different stereo. There was a similar thread a while ago

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb-2012-accent/156283-2013-accent-iphone5-hookup.html

"My wife and I just purchased 2013 Accents. Her iPhone 5 works perfect in her car with the stock iPhone cable that came with the phone. My iPhone 5 will not even charge on my Accent.
She has a base level Accent, power windows, keyless entry while I have an upgraded Accent with the sunroof and climate control. "

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
You are having issues when changing the songs? That's interesting. It works flawlessly for me.

Bluetooth is better than the Hyundai adapter? That's crazy talk :eek:. It's either you still have the stock sound system, the music on your iPhone is at a low bitrate, or both. ^_^
I have the stock system, yes; but all the music on my iPhone 5s is the upgraded, higher bit-rate files (iTunes Match).

I should state that I was surprised at a couple things. First off, I was happy (meaning, not totally disappointed) with the stock stereo sound. Second, I was surprised that there was little to no difference between bluetooth and the Hyundai adapter. I will admit that I have been skeptical of bluetooth for audio streaming all along (in home and car audio). However, in the current listening context, I'm comfortable with saying that I'm happy with the bluetooth setup I have right now and that the adapter didn't do anything to better the experiance (other than add the track info to the screen.. which is nice).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts