Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

We're wondering just how smart our new Hyundai is (ix35, Australia, 2013 model). I'm loving the 'auto' feature in the headlights knob but I'm wondering if it drains battery and if that will be a problem?

Does it leave some little thing on that slowly drains the battery, or is it actually smart enough to completely turn itself off and ONLY draw from the power then the car/power is turned on again, so to speak?

We'll never leave the car off longer than 2 (maybe 3) weeks, that's for sure. Generally it's used at least once per 1-2 days.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
If you leave the headlight + side lights on, then take the key & leave, they will turn off in a short moment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you leave the headlight + side lights on, then take the key & leave, they will turn off in a short moment.
the feature only works when the ignition is switched on
By 'works' do you mean 'uses power'? I know the feature only operates to when the ignition is turned on, but I'm talking about it keeping something open in the circuitry when the car is turned off (by bad design, I suppose). I know that with some cars from more recent years, across different car-makers, even if they turn the lights intelligently off when the engine is switched off, you still have to turn the lights to 'off' if you don't want unnecessary battery drain. They're not quite intelligent *enough* to not be drawing a current of electricity while the car is off, unfortunately.

So should I worry about leaving my lights permanently on 'auto', or it's fine to do this?

Thanks for any information you have!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering this same thing...it doesn't look like anybody ever answered the question. I have a 2005 Hundai Tucson, and the lights automatically turn off when you take the keys out of the ignition. However, my boyfriend swears that as long as the wheel contolling the headlights is in the "on" position, the battery is being drained.

I've left the wheel in the "on" position several times, but the battery hasn't died. So, I just want to be sure that doing this isn't going to eventually drain the battery. Wish they would've installed something that buzzes when the switch is turned on!

·
Registered
75 Posts
As far as I know all cars with the auto feature will turn off when the ignition is off. As for the ix35 I've had mine for 3 years. I Either leave it on auto or the on position all the time. Light turns off automatically after 30seconds inc interior lights and no battery drain ever after 4 weeks leaving car in garage whilst on holiday.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
The car will kill most the electrical circuits when the key is out. This is done through a couple of relays. Only if the relay stuck on would they drain the battery.

The ECU does draw a minute amount of power when off for the keep alive memory.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 2011 doesn't have auto head lights function, but if you leave the headlights on at all times, they will still turn off after about 30 seconds with the ignition off or after locking the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Tuscon Limited in December due to my 2003 eclipse being unreliable. My Eclipse had the auto headlight feature so I was not in the habit of turning the headlights on and off so I used the same feature in my new Tuscon. I travel for work a lot and my last trip I was gone for a week and a half so the car sat in the driveway. When I returned it would not start and nothing was left on/open that I could tell. I was able to jump the battery and took it to the dealer to be tested and they found noting wrong. They said with a new car leaving the auto headlight feature on for that short of time would not cause it but he couldn't explain what it was. I stopped using the auto feature (and sometimes forget to turn my lights on at night!) but have not had any more problems...then again I have not been out of town for that long again either.

I bought the car to be more reliable so I cant come home to a dead battery every time I leave for work...any body have similar issues or suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2005 Tucson, even with the switch turned to OFF and the key off and out of the ignition, will often NOT shut off the two running front and side lights (rear). It has drained my battery to 'dead' more than once. I guess I should be looking for a new switch/signal wand????
Any help?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Guys

The auto lights on function is common on many vehicles and generally very reliable. If you have concerns then use the manual switch settings.

Gerry

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Euro spec ix35 has a keyless door lock and an engine start stop button. The lights have been in auto mode since I bought the car without any problems. I find the courtesy headlights which stay on for about a minute after you lock the car a bit disconcerting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts