Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've had my YF Sonata for nearly 8 years now, and it's only done 39,000 miles. Yet, I'm finding that I'm becoming bored with it. The styling used to really turn heads, and even as recently as 2016, I'd still get glances. But in the last year or so, I've found it largely gets ignored and really doesn't stand out that much on the road anymore.

These days, I have another car (a Mustang) - I only kept the Sonata because I've been using it to do Uber in. If it weren't for the fact that it was making me money, I don't know if I'd have any reason to want to actually drive it.

My last service cost me a whopping $925 AUD ($715 USD), and yet the car is only worth a pitiful $11,000 ($8500 USD) according to Redbook - a tiny fraction of what it cost to buy.

To those of you who still have a YF, what's the appeal of owning one in 2018?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
What service cost you $715?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What service cost you $715?
It was the 8 year/120,000km (75,000 mile) service. They quoted me $550 ($425 USD), but then they told me that I needed new front brake pads and air filter, which brought the price up.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
It was the 8 year/120,000km (75,000 mile) service. They quoted me $550 ($425 USD), but then they told me that I needed new front brake pads and air filter, which brought the price up.

According to your manual, what actually needed replacing at that time? I'm guessing you paid for a lot of things that were just "inspected".

Reactions: Richard Bicker

·
Registered
606 Posts
I really like mine. I own a 2012 Honda Civic EX and a 2010 Toyota and I choose to drive the Sonata most of the time. Its comfortable, it drives well, and it has good power when getting on the highway.

Its mileage is slightly better than the Honda but not quite as good as the Toyota.

I've owned a few cars since the 1970's and this one is one of my favorites still.

·
Registered
295 Posts
After losing my 2012 SE to hurricane Irma last September I been on craigslist and numerous sites looking at 2011-14 YF`s. Stock and modified as well as forums on facebook. And to me that style of sonatas I will not accept anything less then a YF. don't get me wrong the only LF I`ll buy is the 2015 sunset orange 2.0 T model. I been collecting parts like wheels, rear spoiler, headlights, lowering springs, ultra racing strut and rear sway bars, fo my next YF as all these parts were lost in my other car when they totaled it out. I`m hoping by the end of this year or sometime by tax return of next year to have my butt behind the wheel of another sonata.

thanks
pat

p.s. I still turn my head even when a GLS, SE, Hybrid, Fully loaded limited and so forth that drives by. Yeah I am obsessed with them , but for 6 years(bought t brand new in November of 2011) and 5 road trips and never a breakdown I loved my SE.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
After all the issues were addressed(recalls, tsbs...), still running strong and looks good. Only thing it really needs, compared to newer cars, is a little more soundproofing. I might just address that this summer.

Reactions: Richard Bicker

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm new to Sonata's, but it is one of my favorite cars (that I have owned) to drive. Sporty and responsive...I got the color I wanted, and it had new tires and an after-market remote start (which the seller didn't know it had). It has a lot of miles...but I figure it's made it this far...:innocent:

(I bought a new Excel GL in '90 and it was a decent little car)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Love my 2012 2T LTD. Has 130k miles and still going strong.

Test drive a new 2018 2.0T while having oil changed the other day. It doesn't have the oomph mine does. They tuned 20HP+ out it and probably heavier. Guess I'll keep mine til it dies.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love my 2013 Limited. It is a pleasure to drive and I still think it looks sexy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know in the states here.
Front brake pads - $60 OEM
Air Filter - less than $10
Labor to install pads - $70-100?

What else did they do in that service?? The only things I could think of would be drain/fill radiator, drain/fill transmission, oil change, to bring it up to $700. But even then it seems like a lot

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I know in the states here.
Front brake pads - $60 OEM
Air Filter - less than $10
Labor to install pads - $70-100?

What else did they do in that service?? The only things I could think of would be drain/fill radiator, drain/fill transmission, oil change, to bring it up to $700. But even then it seems like a lot
Replace 2x wiper blades = $23.00 + $11.50 labor = $34.50
Replace front brake pads = $85.00 + $102.00 labor = $187.00
Replace pollen filter = $42.00 + $25.00 labor = $67.00

So, that was all the "extra" stuff that needed to be done on top of the standard log book service, which was $420.

They also suggested that I go for the transmission fluid drain but I decided against it. Should I have done that?

·
Registered
283 Posts

So, that was all the "extra" stuff that needed to be done on top of the standard log book service, which was $420.

They also suggested that I go for the transmission fluid drain but I decided against it. Should I have done that?
What's the standard log book service? also I assume the pollen filter is the engine air filter, unfortunately that's something I wouldn't pay to do. It's actually less than 5 min job.

EDIT** I went to Hyundai's recommended maintenance schedule (https://www.hyundaiusa.com/maintenance-schedule/index.aspx), at the 37500 mile interval heres what it said. I'm assuming this is it?

Inspect Tire Pressure and Condition
Inspect Vacuum Hose
Inspect Air Cleaner Filter
Inspect Driveshafts and Boots
Replace Engine Oil and Filter
Tire Rotation

+ what you said:

I'll await your response because it doesn't seem to add up (or it should NOT add up) to $700 total.

I just realized you said it was the 75000 mile service, but that's way too much still...it's all inspections according to Hyundai's website + tire rotation, engine oil change, air filter replacement

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What's the standard log book service? also I assume the pollen filter is the engine air filter, unfortunately that's something I wouldn't pay to do. It's actually less than 5 min job.

EDIT** I went to Hyundai's recommended maintenance schedule (https://www.hyundaiusa.com/maintenance-schedule/index.aspx), at the 37500 mile interval heres what it said. I'm assuming this is it?

Inspect Tire Pressure and Condition
Inspect Vacuum Hose
Inspect Air Cleaner Filter
Inspect Driveshafts and Boots
Replace Engine Oil and Filter
Tire Rotation

+ what you said:

I'll await your response because it doesn't seem to add up (or it should NOT add up) to $700 total.

I just realized you said it was the 75000 mile service, but that's way too much still...it's all inspections according to Hyundai's website + tire rotation, engine oil change, air filter replacement
Yes, it was a 96 month service.

Aside from what you mentioned, they also replaced the fuel filter.

Agreed - it seems ridiculous, considering that the newer model Hyundais all come with fixed price servicing that's typically no more than $200. However, another independent mechanic quoted me $350 (for the logbook only), so for the extra money I went with Hyundai (plus they provide a free loan car for the day). They also provide a free wash and 12 months of free roadside assistance. I don't need either of these, but that's where some of the cost goes.

Here's more of the cost breakdown:

Engine oil & associated costs = $65.00
Fuel filter = $65.00
Other/misc parts/supplies = $30.00

By the way, I don't think they do tire rotations here as part of the service. Do you mean they rotate the entire wheel+tire, or just the tire? Because some of my wheels have scrapes on them and they're all in the same place as before.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I bought my YF in 2015 with 18k miles on it, now she has roughly 105K miles. Been tuned since 45K miles and the car hasn't missed a beat. Of course I keep up my maintenance on her and have improved a few things here an there. Even with all the obnoxious recalls and what not I still love the car.

I like the design over the other generations just simply due to the fact that it's not trying to be something it's not. In 2011 it was a new and innovate design, and that lead me to buy the car years later. Now if you look at the LF, it's stealing design cues from other car manufactures and looking more and more generic. If you look at the Stinger you can see so many design cues that were stolen by other automotive manufactures it's almost sickening.

Not to mention that the YF has the most power over all the other generations.....

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I like the design. I would not even consider the refresh YF (don't care for the squared off bumper). The current models are so Grandpa boring its not even funny.

Had ours since new and its at 98K. When its all waxed and polished its still a great ten footer. Maybe a five footer. I will say that the 132/162 combined with this stupid airbag issue worries me. A motor conking out...eh, we know (not saying its fine, just aware of it). But if we "might" have a board that perishes due to heavy load during an engine conking...that's not a pleasant thought.

I have put one set of brakes on it (all four corners), replaced the shocks and struts. Plus all the fluid changes. I have paid to have the tie rods replaced on both front corners.

So yeah, I still like it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
In Australia we had no turbo engine so it was either the 2.4L GDI or the far less common 2.0L MPI. Mine is the GDI. The vast majority of YFs I see on the road now are in very average condition, most are driven by immigrant Uber drivers. The majority of my Uber passengers don't know what kind of car it is ("this is a Hyundai?!" they say), or have never seen one before.

To cut costs, our version, unlike the US model, had very little sound proofing inside, making the car almost deafening when driving over 40 mph. My ears hurt after only 2-3 hours of driving. An updated model with more soundproofing was released later in 2010, but mine is one of the early ones, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
In Australia we had no turbo engine so it was either the 2.4L GDI or the far less common 2.0L MPI. Mine is the GDI. The vast majority of YFs I see on the road now are in very average condition, most are driven by immigrant Uber drivers. The majority of my Uber passengers don't know what kind of car it is ("this is a Hyundai?!" they say), or have never seen one before.

To cut costs, our version, unlike the US model, had very little sound proofing inside, making the car almost deafening when driving over 40 mph. My ears hurt after only 2-3 hours of driving. An updated model with more soundproofing was released later in 2010, but mine is one of the early ones, unfortunately.
I was going to ask you how you liked it? The 2nd paragraph was not visible to me...only when I included the quote I saw your opinion. I've never seen that before on this forum? Sorry you didn't get the extra sound proofing in the model you have.

(it is showing now...weird)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts