Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking the boards for a few weeks and really want the Sonata and test drove a GLS and everytime I just gently tapped the brake pedal it felt like I was slamming them. I had to put extra effort to make sure I didn't step on the brake pedal too hard. All I have driven before is Honda/Toyota so I'm not sure if this normal for Hyundai or if there was something wrong with the particular car or do I just have to get used to it? I love everything about the car before untill I test drove it and I still want it but am a big concerned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I notice the same thing on occasion with my GLS. Seems to be much more pronounced just after I start it, and is not noticeable after a few stops. I'm not sure if it's because the brakes ease up or I get used to it, but it's not really an issue for me.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
brakes are fine

test drive a new honda for comparison. holy crap those cars are sensitive.

·
Registered
330 Posts
its how it is with all new cars, coming from a 95 chrysler intrepid and 94 mercury villager, any new car ive driven have seemed to be much more sensitive... which is really difficult when you are trying to drive with comfort in mind =/

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Did it rain the night before? Look at the rotors before you get in the car. Are they rust colored? After a hard rain or if you live in a humid area, the rotors will have a fresh coating of oxidization which will make the first few stops more powerful. That oxidation causes more friction.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yep another **** on the forum. The brakes are great and you will get used to them after driving it for a couple of hours. When I jump back into my Jeep I hate how soft and weak they are. I installed brembo rotors with ceramic pads on the Jeep and I still would choose the Sonata.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine have never been overly sensitive.

B

·
0 Posts
QUOTE (kton @ Dec 16 2010, 10:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380762
its how it is with all new cars, coming from a 95 chrysler intrepid and 94 mercury villager, any new car ive driven have seemed to be much more sensitive... which is really difficult when you are trying to drive with comfort in mind =/
This is my observation as well. Initial 'bite' or tip-in of both the brake and accelerator pedals/throttles have become much more sensitive on new cars in the last decade or two. Neither the brakes nor the acceleration are any better at their maximum, they're just harder to drive smoothly as conditions depart from the ideal. I don't care for it at all, but clearly someone out there thinks that 'we' all want this comparative hyper-sensitivity. It's like a return to the hyper-boosted brakes of the early-70s American cars (but not in a good way).

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Dec 17 2010, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380869
Mine have never been overly sensitive.
Mine are to mushy for taste. I will be bleeding and installing SS lines at minimum.

I will be looking for bigger calipers once time allows with better square coverage/sweep and more pistons. I did a Z32 upgrade to my A33 and it was great. I miss the "threw the window" feeling.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Sonny Jim @ Dec 17 2010, 12:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380887
This is my observation as well. Initial 'bite' or tip-in of both the brake and accelerator pedals/throttles have become much more sensitive on new cars in the last decade or two. Neither the brakes nor the acceleration are any better at their maximum, they're just harder to drive smoothly as conditions depart from the ideal. I don't care for it at all, but clearly someone out there thinks that 'we' all want this comparative hyper-sensitivity. It's like a return to the hyper-boosted brakes of the early-70s American cars (but not in a good way).
I agree with this. The initial tip in of both the brake pedal and accelerator is sensitive. Im not complaining, its just something I have to get used to. Another problem I have is that my "work car" is an old 1996 Saturn that has mushy everything, so I go from a car with sponge brakes and 105 HP to a brand new car with excellent brakes and 200 HP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I test drove another one today and it was great. I think something is wrong with that GLS though because I have never driven a car with brakes that were like that.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Haaahaaa! LOL! :grin: I'm used to driving my 2002 F250 Diesel truck and when I drive the Sonata it feels like the brakes are really sensitive but I like the positive response. After driving the Sonata and getting used to that I get back in my truck and seems like I have to push the pedal through the floor to get the same braking! Back in the Sonata and it's like woooh ease there cowboy! :grin: It's just fine, you'll get used to it and before ya know it you wont feel the difference unless you jump into something else! Remember, new brakes wont feel as sensitive because they havent seated in properly. Depending on your braking application practices, they could seat in under a hundred miles. You get in a new car and they wont feel the same but when the new cars brakes are seated in it will be the same as yours. I noticed that the braking on ours got tighter but it's no big deal. Learn to be one with the brakes, you'll do just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts