Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
We have 135K Miles. Burning 1 qt of oil every 400 miles. Seems like as long as I keep topping off the oil, it won't blow up. Pile of crap at this point as I can't sell it and every time I change the oil, I have to by three 5 qt jugs to keep it going.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Original, getting close to 183K...with upper 30's for highway mileage. No data, but I think the turbo stresses the engine more. Burns around a quart in 1500 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Original (I probably just jynxed it) in a 2011 Sonata 2.4 with about 152,000 miles. Minimal use of oil between changes but I do keep a wrench, oil and funnel in the trunk and top it off every fill up with 10w-30 synthetic. I use 5w-20 for the change and top off with 10w-30. Next change I'm switching to 5w-30 Pennzoil Ultra. Highway mileage still shocks me as it gets around 38 MPG highway. Around town is more like 28.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,576 Posts
I drive a LF 2017 Sport 2.0T but same engine and now have 170,000 +, Runs as well as the day I drove it off the lot, no oil use between OCI 5000 mile changes.

It is driven hard, paddle shifting most of the time at 3500 -5000 rpm, 135 miles a day minimum 80% freeway at 70-90 mph, the rest surface streets and 10 miles of canyons.

I did break an exhaust valve at 150,000 miles due to a spark plug breaking and had to do a valve job, but on opening up the engine it looked "new".

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
It is driven hard, paddle shifting most of the time at 3500 -5000 rpm, 135 miles a day minimum 80% freeway at 70-90 mph
That'll keep fuel from collecting on the cylinder walls and keep the rings moving freely.
I bet you didn't baby it during break-in.
I did break an exhaust valve at 150,000 miles due to a spark plug breaking and had to do a valve job, but on opening up the engine it looked "new".
How did the intake valves look?
Had you done anything up to that point to clean them?

Re who has the original engine: there is a "silent majority" of trouble free owners we'll never hear from on the internet.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,576 Posts
[/QUOTE]
That'll keep fuel from collecting on the cylinder walls and keep the rings moving freely.
I bet you didn't baby it during break-in.
Since about 1995. For every car, motorcycle, Ive owned in the last 25 years (7 new cars (1 Lincoln LS, 2 Fors SHO, 2 Infiniti, 1 MBZ, 3 Harleys, 1 Kawasaki quad, I do break in for 50-100 miles easy, then drive hard but vary speed for first 1000 miles.

Prior to that 1975 -2000 I broke in engines easier for the first 1000 miles. That was back when we had to do 3000 mile OCI, 15-20,000 Tune ups, and engines rarely lasted more than 75,000 - 100,000 miles other than the Hondas and Toyota

How did the intake valves look?
All valves including the broken #3 exhaust were clean, no signs of wear.

Had you done anything up to that point to clean them?
Every 30,000 or so CRC GDI Intake Cleaner

Re who has the original engine: there is a "silent majority" of trouble free owners we'll never hear from on the internet.
I agree, the forums and even what we see at the dealers are still about 10% or lees from my reading of failed engines. there are hundreds of thousands of Theta II world wide running in to the the 200,000-300,000 mile range.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Also, at times, folks with a grudge against the dealer (and/or Hyundai) will not tell you the whole story of why it failed. They fear denial, or are venting their anger.

·
Registered
199 Posts
2011 Sonata GLS 2.4, approx 117K miles. Original engine. Has the orange dipstick. Knock on wood, engine not making loud klunking sounds. Just the normal (since day one) engine sounds like popcorn maker. Uses some oil, partly which slowly leaks from oil pan and valve covers. I have tightened nuts on both.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I still have the original engine at 198k kms. Still run and purrs as it used to be. The yellow dipstick was replaced with an orange dipstick during the last engine recall. I do my oil changes and always used full synthetic oil, OEM or premium oil filter. I installed an oil catch can some 6 years ago and as of today, there no signs of any oil leaks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts