Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my old car, my GPS (two different models but both TomToms) speed always showed about as an exact match for the car as you could get. I haven't tried both GPSs in my Sonata but the current one shows the car going about 2mph faster than the car's speedometer (at highway speeds). Tires are OEM and inflated properly. Is this something the dealer can calibrate?

·
Registered
589 Posts
All cars' speedometers are off; the only question is how much. And it's a percentage folks, not a fixed number. Most speedometers are about 3 to 5% optimistic, with some as low as 1% and others as high as 8%. Motorcycles are the worst, usually around 5 to 8%. That means if your speedo is 5% optimistic, your real speed at an indicated 60 would be about 57 mph, or 3 mph. But at 120, your speed would be 114, or 6 mph (linear error). However, the odometer is typically spot on. My 3 cars log exactly 400.1 miles when I visit my daughter, but the BMW has the worst speedo error. Haven't checked the Hyundai yet, but seems it's close to the typical 3 to 5%.

·
Registered
264 Posts
mine is dead on with the gps speed, and miles traveled, i was impressed. when i leased a santa fe, the odomemter was racking about 3.5% extra miles. i thought it was something they did to make me pay overage on the lease allowance (i know it wasnt really)

i tried this test using the garmin i had in my last car, not the built in nav system, obviously

·
Registered
564 Posts
My Sonata's speedometer is also off. Indicated speed is about 2mph slower than actual speed.

ECO light shuts off at 80mph.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Hyundai seems to be pretty consistent with their speedos reading 2 mph higher than actual.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My speedo is off by about 2 mph at 60. When GPS says 60, the speedo says about 61.5 or 62. Perhaps this electronic speedometer doesn't have a linear rate of error. When GPS says 100, the speedo says 102. GPS says 33, speedo says 34-35???

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
2 MPH off here as well.

I have no problem with it, because its a great insurance policy should I encounter any John Q Laws on the road.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you all also noted that the "average fuel consumption" displayed is also off by a large amount? This has come up in many review too. On my A4, it was very accurate about such statistics.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (11sonatase @ Sep 7 2010, 11:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354823
Have you all also noted that the "average fuel consumption" displayed is also off by a large amount? This has come up in many review too. On my A4, it was very accurate about such statistics.
Mine isn't off by much. It's withing 1 or 2 mpgs.

My speedo is under by about 2mph at 70. I wonder how this error would accumulate over a long period of time? Does it affect the odometer?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I beleive my Sonata speedo is almost 3 MPH off at 45MPH. So when my speedo displays 48MPH I am actualy going 45MPH.

I think there is more to this though. I leased my Sonata so mileage is very important to me. With the speedo's being 1-2% too fast we are putting around 200 fake miles on our cars per year. This can really effect your lease miles and warranty miles.

After seeing this I was curious if my other car did this. My 2002 Explorer also seems to be about 3 MPH off.

Could this actually be an auto manufacturers "conspiracy" to falsly add miles to quiken warranty expiration and create Lease overages? What is the point of most auto manufacturers making the speedo's 1-2% too fast???

I am going to have 600 extra miles at the end of my lease that are not real.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts