Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/c is smelling pretty bad despite the car being only two years old with 24,000 miles on the odometer. For $60, does the "mist" cleaning offered by the dealer work? I suppose I could spray Lysol into the air intake, but I wonder if it would damage the paint/plastic finish . . . .
Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they did that at the least service thinking it might help. It didn't.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Isn't there a drain in the cabin somewhere to remove excess moisture? If so, maybe that got blocked and is retaining moisture, which would definitely start to smell after a while.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (MED @ Aug 17 2010, 07:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350022
My a/c is smelling pretty bad despite the car being only two years old with 24,000 miles on the odometer. For $60, does the "mist" cleaning offered by the dealer work? I suppose I could spray Lysol into the air intake, but I wonder if it would damage the paint/plastic finish . . . .
Thanks! :thumbsup:
Couple of things to think about.

Running the fan speed too low for the temperature setting can cause the coil to freeze up. When you park and it thaws out, it leaves water in the coil. The water plus dust and pollen can cause an odor.

The catch pan drain plug could be partially blocked, causing it to hold water. That too could cause odor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always leave it in recirc mode. Would switching to outside help? Next time I'm at the dealer I'll ask about the drainage hole, but I assume they looked when I complained.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (MED @ Aug 18 2010, 12:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350191
I always leave it in recirc mode. Would switching to outside help? Next time I'm at the dealer I'll ask about the drainage hole, but I assume they looked when I complained.

If you use it in the recirc mode, shut it off and turn it back on after a short period can cause a major odor. What you might try is turning it to outside air for a short period before you turn off the ac/car. What this will do is dry out the evaporator coil and hopefully eliminate your odor. That is as long as you don't live in Florida where they have 130% humidity.

Let us know your outcome please. BTW I never use recirc always outside air.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ Aug 18 2010, 11:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350169
Couple of things to think about.

Running the fan speed too low for the temperature setting can cause the coil to freeze up. When you park and it thaws out, it leaves water in the coil. The water plus dust and pollen can cause an odor.

The catch pan drain plug could be partially blocked, causing it to hold water. That too could cause odor.

Bobad a correctly charged system in an automobile should never ice up in the summer. The system has pressure switches that will cycle the compressor to eleviate this. I think.............LOL

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Aug 18 2010, 06:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350240
Bobad a correctly charged system in an automobile should never ice up in the summer. The system has pressure switches that will cycle the compressor to eleviate this. I think.............LOL
There is thermistor shoved in the evaporator that feed back to the control unit..

Using RECIRC all the time just beds the evaporator with all the dirt and essences from inside the car into the evaporator, which most have a coating to prevent corrosion, but traps stuff too... using outside air at a controlled rate will keep freah air throught the evaporator, but if you shove too much overheated outside air too fast, you'll overwhelm the A/C capacity to cool the air for what you desire..

Take the glovebox down and act like you is changing rhe cabin filter, take it out, and then turn fan on high, and ditch a can of LYSOL ® into the opening for the fan to blow through evaporator.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Putting it on "fresh air" seems to help reduce the odor. Thanks for the tips!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
This has nothing to do with the car being "only 2 years old"... The general rule is -- once you get close to your destination turn off the A/C and leave the fan on for a couple minutes, and at a higher speed, and yes, let fresh air in. That will get rid of the extra moisture in the system which is creating mildew and bad smell.

But once you already have mildew inside the system --- you need to take care of it, and as SBR suggested, Lysol is probably the best DIY solution.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hi Suzanna,

I use this twice a year - smell or no smell. It's cheap insurance.

It's sort of like an alcohol-based foam that expands rapidly. The can comes with a really long thin hose that you insert through the center AC vent as far down as it would go. Ideally, you want to discharge the product directly onto the coils as that's where the smell comes from.

Each can is single-use and smells absolutely wonderful afterwards. It's specifically designed for car AC systems and should not harm anything. I've gone the Lysol way before and wouldn't do it again. It won't harm the system but the smell it leaves behind - wow. Don't do it.

-N- :thumbsup:

QUOTE (Suzanna @ Aug 21 2010, 11:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350863
I am in Florida. Have had the musty smell from the first year.
How often have you used this? The whole can through the front little, bitty louvers?

Won't harm the system?

Lysol won't harm the system either?

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE (normandelli @ Aug 22 2010, 08:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351165
Hi Suzanna,

I use this twice a year - smell or no smell. It's cheap insurance.

It's sort of like an alcohol-based foam that expands rapidly. The can comes with a really long thin hose that you insert through the center AC vent as far down as it would go. Ideally, you want to discharge the product directly onto the coils as that's where the smell comes from.

Each can is single-use and smells absolutely wonderful afterwards. It's specifically designed for car AC systems and should not harm anything. I've gone the Lysol way before and wouldn't do it again. It won't harm the system but the smell it leaves behind - wow. Don't do it.

-N- :thumbsup:

Alright. Laughing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts