Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
If what I posted above is incorrect, believe me I couldn't be happier about being wrong! On my '12 Sonata, it had the dumbed-down version of TPMS. It saw 4 sensors, but didn't know what wheel was what, so rotation was never an issue.

On the Prix I mentioned above, it did recognize the individual wheels. I could rotate the tires without an error, because it still saw 4 sensors. Of course, where it thought they were, and where they actually were, was two different things.

I'm scratching my head wondering how the LF would recognize the sensor positions have changed after a tire rotation. Does it have an individual readers near each corner of the car? I guess I'll have to look into this more.

Just saying one rotated the tires without an error isn't enough. But if you guys are saying you verified tire location after a move, via air pressure...then that is a really nice improvement.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes - 8 TPMS sensors, two complete sets of wheels/tires with one sensor per wheel.
@sbr711 had a technical comment on this, but there have been a LOT of threads on it, so it might be hard to find.

I'm not sure recognized is the correct term. I don't technically understand the parameters of the system. As I understand it, in layman's terms, there is a receiver near each wheel. It looks for a nearby sensor and when it finds one, it interrogates and reports the TPMS sensor pressure reading. As I understand it, there isn't really a limit on how many sensors it recognizes, but I don't know that it keeps a record of sensor numbers either.

I.e. I could be wrong, but I think you could have 50 sets of wheels if you wanted to and any of them would work. I also don't think the system stores info for "Sensor 11000200 is installed at the right front wheel". I think it interrogates near the right front wheel and if it finds a sensor in the expected range (maybe from signal strength) it displays the pressure sent be that sensor.
Ah - that is interesting. Thank you...

I thought each sensor would have to be coded to the car at least (to avoid stray reads from passing vehicles. But perhaps it just looks for a consistent code from near each sensor. THAT would explain why my Tucson says "Drive to get tyre pressures" which makes no sense otherwise (in fact I thought it was just being stupid).

I used to work for a company that made TPMS systems for mining trucks (100-250 laden tons trucks with 12 foot diameter tyres). Fun times...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Correct the system only works when the vehicle is in motion - or after it is has been in motion for a while.

Not sure why that is, but it could well be what you said.
The "for a while" I can explain with some certainty. Being ultra low power battery devices with a many years lifespan, the TPMS sensors cannot afford to be live all the time. So they will only wake up once every some-minutes to report a pressure.

Now I realise I've been an idiot...

The other thing they will almost certainly do is go into deep sleep when there's no motion (ie parked up). So they need to be driven to wake them up. That is far more likely than what I first said.

I ought to know this - just wasn't thinking right.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Not sure in the UK, but I doubt it.

In the USA, the smaller cars get a can of fix-a-flat and a compressor, and the larger ones get a donut spare that runs at 60 psi and wouldn't have room for a sensor.

I added my own spare with a TPMS sensor, but there is no reader in the trunk - so even if the Accent TPMS knew the tire position, it wouldn't know that the spare was low on air.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not sure in the UK, but I doubt it.

In the USA, the smaller cars get a can of fix-a-flat and a compressor, and the larger ones get a donut spare that runs at 60 psi and wouldn't have room for a sensor.

I added my own spare with a TPMS sensor, but there is no reader in the trunk - so even if the Accent TPMS knew the tire position, it wouldn't know that the spare was low on air.
I have a full sized spare, courtesy of some EU regulation, but it's a steel rim. Which is a pity as it precludes making it part of a 5 way tyre rotation scheme.

·
Registered
311 Posts
<P>
I have a full sized spare, courtesy of some EU regulation, but it's a steel rim. Which is a pity as it precludes making it part of a 5 way tyre rotation scheme.
</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Yeh! that's why I queried the sensor?, my spare is a full size alloy as is my daughters.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Thanks for the reply Tim. </P>
<P>Have you tried the UK forum? "HOCGB" you may find it of interest.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Gazza!!! </P>

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
The valves are different between TPMS and non-TPMS. I can't describe it very well, but if you look at the spare, you might be able to tell if it has TPMS.

- If not, a tire shop should be able to look and know, or worst case, they can scan it and see if it registers.

- Easiest solution: Make sure the spare is properly inflated, jack up the car and put the spare on. Drive for 15-20 minutes. If the TPMS light stays on, you don't have a TPMS sensor in the spare.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi
I have a 2016 Sonata SE
Had a shrapnel hit on tire (LR) rainy night on interstate Oakland CA- alert system worked great and tracked the rapid release of air which motivated me to slow down and get off the interstate-now!- made it to a gas station. Felt the shrapnel and called AAA who swapped the flat for donut spare. TPMS monitors as expected.
Got flat fixed- all TPMS reset after driving a bit.

So, I'm motivated to get a full size spare-matching alloy. Maybe keep an old tire for spare (rotate out after flat fix). Maybe buy a 5th of the new style tire (include in rotation).
Question- Do the TPMS sensor auto match/calibrate if I get a 5th sensor ? Important for option 2. If no, I would move the old tire to the fifth wheel as the spare and only use while flat fixed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I must not have TPMS sensors on my car cause I've had a almost flat tire with a huge screw stuck in it, changed tires 3 times and rotated many times so does 2016 Se Sonata have TPMS sensors?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I must not have TPMS sensors on my car cause I've had a almost flat tire with a huge screw stuck in it, changed tires 3 times and rotated many times so does 2016 Se Sonata have TPMS sensors?
It depends on where you’re from. You didn’t fill in your profile so I don’t know where you’re from but as far as I know, only US cars have TPMS sensors since they are required by law. In Canada like me, there’s no TPMS since it isn’t required

·
Registered
480 Posts
Never had to reset mine or anything. I remember doing it on my old turbo diesel 2500 SUCKED. You had to push a few things just right to get it into the correction mode, then it used beep codes with the beeps being the horn to guide you. Horrible.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts