Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
How is that even possible ? It’s so convenient and good for engine health. I start the car at least 10 minutes before I get out the house, to warm up the car engine , warm the car or cool it down.
No car needs to warm up 10 minutes. I see no need. I walk to the car, get in start and drive. I do live in a very hot environment, but that really does not matter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No car needs to warm up 10 minutes. I see no need. I walk to the car, get in start and drive. I do live in a very hot environment, but that really does not matter.
That’s funny lol I mean it’s your car so its not my business to tell you to warm it up,our cars are ancient technology with mechanical oiled stuff and it’s strange that you think warming it up won’t benefit your engine.

·
Registered
20 Sonata Limited | 21 Sante Fe Limited
79 Posts
Ok I was going to leave this alone, until I saw the "ancient technology" bit. Posting these sources in hopes of informing other forum members about what's really happening under the hood.

"If you’re in a hurry and just want an answer to the above question, it’s no. You no longer need to warm up your car in winter — for your car’s sake — unless it’s old enough to have a carburetor (unlikely unless it’s at least 30 years old), or it’s electric or a plug-in hybrid.

So, How Long?
If you’re still wondering how long to wait before putting the car in gear after starting the engine in cold temperatures, how’s 30 seconds? In a car that’s well maintained and operating properly, that’s plenty of time. The most important tip is not to accelerate too aggressively until the engine is fully warmed up. (This is also true in warm weather, though it takes longer when it’s cold.)

"Consumer Reports Chief Mechanic John Ibbotson says that giving the engine a chance to run for a minute before driving on a cold day is smart but that there isn’t a need to let it run longer beyond warming the cabin and defogging the windshield. And there is a real downside: consuming fuel and generating emissions."

"One of the most widespread myths among car owners is that warming up a car is good for its health before hitting the road in cold temperatures. This was true for older car models, but only remains true for a couple models today."

"Usually, a car does not need to be warmed up, even in cool weather. However, if the temperature is below freezing (or up to 40 degrees F), allowing the car to run for about 30 seconds is plenty to get things going. Allowing the car to run for longer simply burns more fuel, causes more wear and tear to the engine, and adds more pollution into the atmosphere. "

21 - 26 of 26 Posts