Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have any mk1 engine/swap/Mitsubishi questions I will try to answer them to the best of my ability as I have owned many mitsu/CSM cars. This is all USA info as it would take forever to compile lists of all possible world combos, but except for the years it may appy to other countries. I might omit any engines deemed unimportant such as carbed or lesser engines that would downgrade/not apply to our specific cars. Also if you have questions about your specific country I can help.

some interesting info:
1.5 litre 8v G4DJ 90-92 Scoupe =4g15
81hp 91ftlbs
1.5 litre 8v G4DJ 90-94 Excel =4g15
81hp 91ftbls
1.6 litre 16v G4CR 92-95 Elantra =4g61
105-113hp 102ftlbs
1.8 litre 16v G4CN 93-95 Elantra =4g67
124hp 116ftlbs
2.0 litre 16v G4CP 92-95 Sonata =4g63
128hp 121ftlbs
2.4 litre 8v G4CS 89-91 Sonata =4g64
116hp 142ftlbs
3.0 litre 12v G6AT 89-93 Sonata = 6g72
142hp 158ftlbs

Remember Mitsu didn't build these motors Hyundai just bought blue prints from Mitsu. There are suttle changes in the blocks so assume nothing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Engine designations:
for example 4g15 means
4=4cyl
g=gas
1=series of engine
5=number in which the engine was invented/added to mitsu's designation

so the the 15 is a fluke it doesn't mean 1.5 litres . because a 4g63 is 2.0 not 6.3 litres. a 6g75 would be a 6cyl. The series can also be a help as a 4g63 dohc turbo and head will fit on a 4g64 dohc block to make a 2.4 litre stroker.

Mitsu built cars:</span>
89-92 1.5 litre colts/summit/mirage's came with 4g15's they came in 8 and 12v flavors (93-on have the engine on the opposite side, and 89 and before have carbed engines)ECU's are Interchangeable with all 4g15 cars.
81hp91ftlbs ->8v, 92hp93ftlbs->12v

89-92 1.6 litre colts/summit/mirage's come with a 4g61 dohc (it is n/a except for the rare 1.6 turbo 89 colt/mirage gt)
123hp101ftlbs->non turbo 135-145hp->turbo

91-99 3000GT/Stealth's all came with 3.0l 6g72's in 12vsohc/24vdohc/24vdohc turbo flavor's.
161hp185ftlbs->12v, 218-222hp201-205ftlbs->24v, 300-320hp307-315ftlbs-> 24v turbo.

90-94 2.0litre Eclipse's/Talons/Lasers came with a4g63 turbo 16v or a non turbo 16v
135hp125ftlbs->16v nonturbo, 180-195hp203ftlbs->turbo

90-94 1.8litre Eclipse's/Talons/Lasers came with a 4g37(aka g37) 8v which shares about 45% of parts with the 4g15(the engines are almost electrically identical) and you can swap ecu's, throttle body (don't remember what year), MAF and injectors for more power. it is not of the same generation so head/cam/block swapping is impossible. If this engine is swapped in, you can take a turbo from a 85-89 turbo g32b 1.6 colt/mirage and have a 8 valve sleeper.
92hp105ftlbs

1992-1995 Expo/Vista/Summit Wagon Van's came with 1.8 8v 4g67 and 2.4 4g64 1.8 8v. These cars also have similar electrical systems to the 4g15 as the ecu plugs right in. But I have not explored this avenue due to lack of time.
113hp116ftlbs->8v 1.8, 116-136hp136-145ftlbs->8v 2.4

1990-1993 Galant came with the 2.0 litre 4g63 in 8v/16v/16v turbo flavor's. The 4g63 Sohc 8v is similar electricaly to the 4g15, but again I haven't had the time to play around with this combo.
102-121hp116-120ftlbs->8v, 135-144hp125-134ftlbs->16v, 195hp203ftlbs->16vturbo

1994 Galant GS came with the ultra rare 4g64 2.4 litre 16v dohc engine putting the 8v version of the 2.4 litre engine to shame. This engine weighs only a little more than the 4g63 so is a powerful upgrade.
<span style=\'color:red\'>160hp160ftlbs

playing around with the 92-95 Hyundai Elantra motor mounts(1.8&1.6) and stock mounts will yeild results. The mounts you need are: the top L-shaped mount, the front engine bracket, as well as the rear, the crossmember that goes from the front of car to the back or middle of car. Also need the dsm transmission bracket( not the rubber mount) if swapping tranny. If not swapping tranny make sure to get an eclipse non turbo flywheel/clutch/pressure plate combo. I do believe the mounts from a 1.6 turbo 85-88 will mount a 4g37 engine which is theoretically a drop in swap....theoretically.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Short answer,No, The mk2 1.5 engines were comletely designed by hyundai who completely threw out the plans from mitsu and built there own engine.

The piston size isn't just 1 number, you have to take into account

1. Wrist Pin diameter
2. Wrist Pin type
3. Wrist Pin Offset
4. Wrist Pin clearance
5. Skirt length
6. Compression height
7. Valve relief location & depth

also all this changes if your car has scarring on the side. Talk to a machine shop who can better help you with swapping pistons. They have interchangeability catalogs that will usually help you get the compression ratio you want.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Great post from Evotistical!........I WOULD pin it if I still could!!.

The only other point worth mentioning is, of course, that the Hyundai Alpha I engine, as fitted to the Mk. II Scoupe`s is a 12-valve (3 per cylinder) unit.

Nick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Schwitzer Turbo@Aug 6 2007, 05:03 AM
Machine shop said they would work.......
[snapback]101275[/snapback]​

Well then I stand corrected. Let me know how all that works out. Hey, Then he probly has alot more experience then me, I know just about the mitsu engines and every time i've delt with an alpha motor they have been very different in design to me. Also going from other people's experiences and hyundai's claim that it was hyundai's first engine totally designed by them. Hyundai very well could have snatched some mitsu parts off the shelf. What I was giving you was my best guess with the knowlege I know(apparently it needs to be adjusted). I have never torn down both engines side by side. Also if you do a rebuild please post pics so we can all learn from this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes a Friend will be trying these piston's in his Accent Turbo so he will find out before me. i have Order HMC pistons and will do full cermaics on them.

I DO KNOW THAT A NISSAN EXA LANGLY TURBO PISTON has been used in Scoupe Turbo's Before, the guy lives up country from me and says it is Heavier and has a Thicker Core Forging(Surpasses HMC GT Piston) altho it does need some engineering to fit....

Hey pal thanks for the Info...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have 1992 scoupe and it truns over but it won't start anything i thought it might be i replaced,and someone side something about crankshaft positiion sensor but i cant find one on my car is there one on my car

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is some helpfull hints, tell me if these work. I am assuming you already replaced your spark plugs and made sure you have atleast 1 gallon/litre or more of gas in your car(shake your car to listen for sloshing)
1.Your ecu is either on the driver side or passenger side kick panel, remove it, take cover off and smell it. if it smells of rotton fish then your ecu is bad(about 70% of all no starts). Expect to pay less than 90$ US for an ecu if you shop around.

2.Check your timing belt, remove the top timing belt cover and look at the belt, if broke get new engine/buy new car, if frayed/cracked or worn get it replaced(most likely wont cause engine not to start but if worn get it replaced before your engine becomes a paper weight)

3.)check to see if you get spark, do this by removing each plug wire one at a time(carefully cause there most likely brittle),placing it near bare metal, and attempt to start your car to see if there is spark.

tell me what happens

-Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did all of that and everthing was good but my timeing was off and my ecu was fine but I got a new just in case and still noten what should I do

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do a compression check (you can buy a compression checker for less than 30$) make sure to add a cap full of oil to each cylinder before you check and crank the engine over till the guage cant go any higher.

next check your fuel pump/fuel pump relay/filter by either getting a fuel pressure guage or the ghetto fabulous way by:
Removing the fuel line from the fuel rail, and starting the car, do this with caution because if you are getting fuel it should spray all over. make sure there are no faulty wiring near it and there is no one lighting cigarettes..etc...etc. I also recomend a fire extinguisher. If no fuel coming out then trouble shoot fuel system.

What do you mean your timings off????? how did you test this?

Also some things to think about:
did you put the plug wires in the right order when you replaced the spark plugs? did you gap them correctly?

Let me know :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all,

just had my scoupe started again aftar being standing still for a month and a half now I think.

Initially the car was acting funny: refuse to start, idling well for a few seconds then stop. Then sometimes started to run very rich and black smoke started to come out making the fuel consumption like that of a concorde.

finally decided to have its trouble code read and stared giving out various codes such as 12, 15, 21, 25....

Long story short was a faulty ecu. Now got a rebuilt one from someone in florida through ebay for some 58 USD plus sending back my faulty one after dealing with 3 different suppliers.

My mechanic also found the fuel pump jammed (due to standing still for all that time).

Now its working brilliant and feels stronger than ever before.

In the mean time got my hands on a 95 dark green metallic scoupe GT which I use for the weekend only. It is completly in stardard condition. It had only one previous owner and was used only for sunday drives. Will post pics in the comming days

Hope the above is helpful for those that have a similar mishap with MK1 scoupe

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,
I got a 1991 Scoupe wanting to know what the best engine to run in her. My engine still runs but i'd like to get some more HP with a possible swap or to cool and turbo my car. also if ya know of a stiff suspension set up i'd like to know. i plan on doing this from the ground up i can take apart remember and got a mechanic friend wanting to do this with me. The body is in great shape so no frame damage. Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by bcscoupe@Feb 15 2008, 07:33 PM
Hey Guys,
I got a 1991 Scoupe wanting to know what the best engine to run in her. My engine still runs but i'd like to get some more HP with a possible swap or to cool and turbo my car. also if ya know of a stiff suspension set up i'd like to know. i plan on doing this from the ground up i can take apart remember and got a mechanic friend wanting to do this with me. The body is in great shape so no frame damage.  Thanks,
                                                                              Nick
[snapback]137289[/snapback]​

Well you can do what I've been planning to finish, put a 4g63t(from a 90-94 eclipse/talon/Laser/GalantVR4) in. Sorry only mitsu style engines fit your car. turbo.... it is possible to turbo your 1.5, as people at 4g61t.org have done it, but only with minimal power gains. I still have some kinks to roll out, but I'm hoping to finish my swap by may, as I'm away from home for 6 months after that. Please Visit My 4g63t swap page

1 - 20 of 26 Posts