Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how many of us change or oil based on time rather by usage. I go by time since I don't put many miles on the car (fewer than 3,000 per year). I change the oil once before storage and once when she gets out. Maybe it's overkill but the internals look like brand new when I took my valve cover off for a major super-anal engine bay cleaning.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have been using the recommended Quaker State synthetic. As such, I have been going with the 7500 mile frequency. But I have usually been changing it at 7000. I have been going more than 20k per year, so it is mileage for me!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been using the recommended Quaker State synthetic. As such, I have been going with the 7500 mile frequency. But I have usually been changing it at 7000. I have been going more than 20k per year, so it is mileage for me!

You change it yourself? they tried threatening me with warranty issues if i do...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm with 1badsr. 3k or 3 mo.

I'm about to hit 50k here by the end of the week. Still on my original brake pads!

·
Registered
911 Posts
You change it yourself? they tried threatening me with warranty issues if i do...
Laugh at them and tell them to pound sand! Why would I even consider letting some wrench monkey do something as simple and easy as an oil change that takes 30 minutes time and I KNOW it was done right!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Laugh at them and tell them to pound sand! Why would I even consider letting some wrench monkey do something as simple and easy as an oil change that takes 30 minutes time and I KNOW it was done right!!
you just do the services yourself... i want to save money and competent just don't want to be a pain to warranty anything.. hmmmm i would like to do it myself, they said filters are around 8 and some change thru them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yup non synthetic here.
you document everything? help me get started so i can stop getting ripped off from the dealer, they said filters will be around $8 and some change if i do them myself but keep on bringing up warranty stuff when i bring it up.

·
Registered
870 Posts
For the Elantra I change the oil based off of mileage, for my Mustang (summer toy) I change the oil when it comes out of storage in the spring.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
you document everything? help me get started so i can stop getting ripped off from the dealer, they said filters will be around $8 and some change if i do them myself but keep on bringing up warranty stuff when i bring it up.
I have the lifetime oil change at my dealer, they are actually the ones that go by 3k/3mth instead of what it says in the manual which is 7500.
If you document everything with receipts and dates, you should have no problem with warranty :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the lifetime oil change at my dealer, they are actually the ones that go by 3k/3mth instead of what it says in the manual which is 7500.
If you document everything with receipts and dates, you should have no problem with warranty :)
This is a true statement. I verified this with my dealership and they said as long as I document everything the warranty will still be covered.

·
Registered
616 Posts
This is a true statement. I verified this with my dealership and they said as long as I document everything the warranty will still be covered.
+1

I too confirmed this when I purchased. Document and date everything and keep all receipts.

I change mine every 10,000kms and use Quakerstate full synthetic. I do a lot of driving, so I change according to the mileage.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Every 5,000 miles. Speaking of which, I'm coming up on another.

·
Registered
168 Posts
is it worth it for $8 plus for filter and oil on top of it? i am trying to save money and dont mind changing my own oil
I must be lucky. My dealership only charges $21 for an oil change, car wash included.

·
Registered
911 Posts
When I first bought Zelda, I went on eBay and bought a dozen Hyundai filters. Forget how much but I think it worked out to under $4 a filter if I recall. Bought the crush washers there too!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Both, 6 months or 7500 miles whatever comes first. Full synthetic oil only. My driving schedule now will hit 6 months before 7500 miles but I used to drive up to 2K miles a month in 2011/12

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have gone over 12 onths on several cars and if you run that engine around 10 miles to heat it up most of the time you can definitley go by mileage. I used to do Used Oil Analysis and the oil was fine after 15-18 months in there (synthetic). Now I go 7500 with no worries regardless of time. the days of 3000 mile changes (even with conventional) are long gone, engines no longer fail due to over extending oil changes everything else fails first. Now extreme cold weather 32F and less all the time and the engine is mostly short trips I may drop the interval down to 5000

1 - 20 of 45 Posts