Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Do we need to warm up the engine car before we drive it some says it will damage the engine and short the engine life and some says it wont damage the engine i live in area temperature between 10 C in winter and 40 C in the summer .

Help

Thank you

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
no, just start the engine and drive, if you let the engine idle from cold you will just waste fuel and increase engine wear

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, I never let it warm up, I just drive slow for the first few miles. My oil analysis showed an abnormal lack of engine wear. My temperature range is from -20 to 40 C and last year was the coldest winter on record.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I didn't know that people still believed that old wives' tale to this day until somebody else asked me about it. In short, as everybody else here has said, it's pointless and serves only to waste fuel and increase engine wear. I've started my car from 10 days sitting, put it gear and drove across town with no problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you

About me i start the engine wait 2 minute then i drive my brother dose not believe me he said it will damage the engine and he still warming up his car

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Well the joke's on him because he's causing far more wear than just getting in and going.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It says right in the owners manual that there is no need to warm it up. Only time I do it is in the -20 degree mornings when the windows need to be defrosted, and that only takes about 5 minutes max.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
In very cold weather, at least cold for Alabama (mid-20's F, around -5C, and colder), I'll let mine idle for a minute or two before I put it in gear. In hot summer weather, it idles maybe ten seconds at the most before I drive away - long enough to start, put on the seat belt, and change the station on the radio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts