Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's two... about brake lights.

(1) Do they stay on when auto-hold is engaged? Example: stopped at a light, auto-hold is engaged, take foot off the brake pedal, car sticks in place. I tried to check but as soon as I opened my door, the car shifted into park, activated the parking brake, and turned off auto-hold. Forgot about that.

(2) Do the brake lights come on when smart cruise control is slowing down because the car in front of you is slowing down? In my limited testing in the city, SCC has made some very noticeable decelerations, I assume it uses the brake? Is someone behind me going to be made aware?

Anyone know?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think yes to both...but I have yet to have a friend behind me confirm
I actually think no to both and I want to be pleasantly surprised that the lights do come on. I'll test the auto-hold soon. Much harder to test the SCC. Need someone to follow you, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would think for legal purposes the brake lights would have to come on when being used while having SCC engaged. I'd say they are also on when using auto hold.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not a definitive answer, but I have a 2017 Limited. On my car the brake lights come on whenever the auto-hold is active. As for the SCC, when my power meter (hybrid) goes into the braking zone, I also see the brake lights come on. I would assume that all the Sonata's with SCC and auto-hold would be the same, hybrid or not.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have observed on mine that the brake lights do come on whenever the car engages the brakes. That applies to both SCC and auto hold. I suspect emergency braking as well but that is much harder to test and/or observer, so I can only speculate :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
(1) Do they stay on when auto-hold is engaged? Example: stopped at a light, auto-hold is engaged, take foot off the brake pedal, car sticks in place. I tried to check but as soon as I opened my door,
(2) Do the brake lights come on when smart cruise control is slowing down because the car in front of you is slowing down? In my limited testing in the city, SCC has made some very noticeable
#1 I would definitely expect that
#2 it depends how smart Sonata is. Not every speed adjustment requires brakes; surprise, surprise! sometimes release of gas slows down a car.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#2 it depends how smart Sonata is. Not every speed adjustment requires brakes; surprise, surprise! sometimes release of gas slows down a car.
This was another area of concern too. I haven't paid attention to whether or not the more intense slowdowns are braking or downshifting (could be both). They aren't release of the accelerator alone, seems too strong, and would require downshifting to produce the rapid slow down. I can figure this one out next time I drive by looking at the tachometer. I mean - whether or not there is downshifting, not brake lights.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suspect emergency braking as well but that is much harder to test and/or observer, so I can only speculate :)
I have watched a lot of safety videos leading up to my car purchase and after and I can confirm your suspicion almost positively that the brake lights do come one for forward collision avoidance braking. I can't remember if I actually saw a Hyundai do it but I know I saw numerous cars from an angle where you saw the lights come on.

I wonder if they come on briefly when the blindspot assist kicks you back into your lane. Not LKA/LFA, I mean the blindspot system that manipulates the brakes on your wheels to knock you out of harm's way.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Confirmed. It's not engine braking. I tried it going 45 and approaching slowing vehicles ahead, the car slowed down rapidly and the tachometer showed no change in RPM. I still can't tell you if the brake lights came on but based on this thread and the fact that it is almost positively using the brakes during SCC slowdowns, I think the brake lights come on. That's good!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok. Confirmed. It's not engine braking. I tried it going 45 and approaching slowing vehicles ahead, the car slowed down rapidly and the tachometer showed no change in RPM. I still can't tell you if the brake lights came on but based on this thread and the fact that it is almost positively using the brakes during SCC slowdowns, I think the brake lights come on. That's good!
I’m going to keep an eye on my tach too....I think a lot of it feels like engine braking. My buddy was behind me on the highway last night and said it wasn’t braking on slowdowns. It might behave differently depending on speed and the car lengths that you set in the SCC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
(2) Do the brake lights come on when smart cruise control is slowing down because the car in front of you is slowing down? In my limited testing in the city, SCC has made some very noticeable decelerations, I assume it uses the brake? Is someone behind me going to be made aware?
This one is a definite yes. You can see the brake light come on as the car slows down if you look in your rearview and catch the slight reflection on the inside of the rear window. It's also very aggressive, where other vehicles with smart cruise might just allow the car to roll without accelerating unless it gets about 5-7mph above the set speed, the Sonata starts braking just a few miles over. This means pretty much as soon as you start going down a hill.

I'll look for the other one. While the SCC braking has been quite a nuisance, I haven't bothered to check when it's sitting at a stop light with the auto-hold on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's two... about brake lights.

(1) Do they stay on when auto-hold is engaged? Example: stopped at a light, auto-hold is engaged, take foot off the brake pedal, car sticks in place. I tried to check but as soon as I opened my door, the car shifted into park, activated the parking brake, and turned off auto-hold. Forgot about that.

Anyone know?
Yes the brake light does come on in both auto hold and smart cruise.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have any of you looked in your owner's manual for the answers? Call Hyundai and ask about this.

Sounds like Hyundai has brought back a version of the Hill-Holder from the 1940s and 1950s. Hill-Holders were machanical devices that worked in parallel with the brake hydraulic system. Later there was an Anti-Creep that worked with the automatic transmission to keep the car from creeping after coming to a stop. Anti-Creep kept the braking lights on but the Hill-Holder only kept the brake lights on if the car was on an incline. The Hill-Holder was activated when the clutch and brake were applied at the same time. You held in the clutch and you could take your foot off the brake and the car would not rool backwards. It was great to have when trying to start moving again if you were on a hill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts