Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum,

While I recognize some people are waiting for the new '13 redesigned Santa Fes to start arriving at dealers soon, I plan to buy a '12.

The thing is, I've heard somewhere that the new '13 Santa Fe Sport (which is to replace the current '12 Santa Fe) will start getting built and rolling out of the factory mid-June (which is now)...which may or may not be an unofficial rumor.

But then, on Hyundai's website, they say that it will start going on sale this coming Fall...I'm not quick to trust what Hyundai's "official" website says, however.

Anyway, my main question comes down to this...

Since the '12 model I have in mind does not seem to be readily available at dealers, I may have to order the one I want fresh from the factory, that is, if I cannot have one transferred to my dealer by freight from another dealer elsewhere that had it on their lot.

If I end up ordering directly from the factory, will I still be able to do so even by the end of this year?

Or will they stop building the '12 ones right about now?

If that's the case, it seems unfair to have the '12 models killed off this early into the year (although it is around the halfway point).

Quality concerns arise when I try to imagine the factory trying to churn out both '12 and new '13 ones simultaneously.

The factory workers are likely getting trained to build the new '13 ones and may not care to keep doing as good of a job making the remaining batch of '12 models as they did before normally.

They may rush to get the '12 one I want made as quickly as possible, potentially leading to shoddier workmanship, durability, reliability...which may be said the same for the bugs and kinks that affect first model years of a redesign (Honda and Toyota may be exceptions).

Or, will this be more of a "while supplies last" sort of deal where I can only hope for one with everything the way I want it to exist at a different Hyundai dealer somewhere in the US and have it driven/shipped to my dealer...and how much more will that run me?

I ignore pre-owned, I only BUY brand-new.

This would not have been an issue if the '12 Santa Fe in the Trim/Engine/Drivetrain/Color that I want with the Option Package I want was readily available at any dealer lots.

It's the top-of-the-line Limited in White (extra charge color, apparently...what a ripoff) with the Navigation Package (it's the only available Option Package...they ought to have made this standard equipment to commemorate the last model year of this design).

I see plenty of the '12 GLS "bargain-basement" Santa Fes which I have no interest for, but if I did, they're no problem to track down...perhaps Hyundai churned out more of these cheaper ones as a lot of their customers look for the cheaper ones ("best-sellers")?

Or maybe these cheaper ones that I easily spot at dealers are because they actually do NOT sell as well (they are not moving in terms of inventory)?

Then again, I frankly don't see that many '12 Santa Fes from GLS to Limited on the roads all that much to begin with.

Does Hyundai still provide fleet vehicles to rental agencies? AWFUL MOVE if they still are...Kia should stop doling out to rentals as well.

Anyway, the Santa Fe I am looking for should not be a rare find by any means, it really shouldn't be (it's not exactly flawless, though I am willing to compromise).

I just hope there aren't that many people as I dread who may be snatching up their own share of what's left of the "duplicates" of the one I want that may be out there, if there are any.

It may or may not be in higher demand than I hoped for, with all these people holding out for as long as I could, snatching them up one by one until they are all gone and I'm too late.

Any replies are appreciated, thank you very much

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The factories won't build both 2012 and 2013 models - they'll shutdown, change tooling, train the staff and build up stocks for the formal launch.

Talk to your local dealer - Santa Fe's for North America are built at Kia in Georgia and they may not have stopped production yet - although it's very imminent.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The factories won't build both 2012 and 2013 models - they'll shutdown, change tooling, train the staff and build up stocks for the formal launch.

Talk to your local dealer - Santa Fe's for North America are built at Kia in Georgia and they may not have stopped production yet - although it's very imminent.
+1

2012 inventories are probably as big now as they're ever going to be. If you're particular about colour and option group I would make a deal soon.

If you want to squeeze the best possible deal and are flexible on colour and options, however, you might wait until your dealer has a good supply of 2013s but just a handful of 2012s. The factory incentives probably won't be any better, but the dealers will be anxious to unload the stragglers. Stale inventory is the bane of car dealers; it costs them money and impedes their ability to stock new product.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are the official Hyundai Santa Fe build dates:

2012 Final Order Due: 4/26/12
2013 Initial Order Acceptance: 5/7/2012
2013 Production Satrt UP: 7/9/12

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks travelman64! Is the 2013 production start up date of 7/9/12 for the Santa Fe models bound for the USA, or is that for the ones being exported. I hear that there is going to be about a month of production for the models being exported, then US production will begin? Any production start date for the Long Wheel Base? Any truth to the USA model having inferior quality interior components? Thanks if you can help with any of this info, we are looking to buy soon but are trying to wait for the 2013 model.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Any truth to the USA model having inferior quality interior components?
Depends how you word that question - 2013 Santa Fe's built in Korea for sale in Europe will have higher quality interiors than the outgoing model - to move the 2013 model upmarket towards the premium sector, or at least away from the budget sector - and pricing will increase accordingly.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is USA production, 2013 vehicles will start to be in dealerships in the USA in early Aug. 2012.

2012 Final Order Due: 4/26/12
2013 Initial Order Acceptance: 5/7/2012
2013 Production Satrt UP: 7/9/12

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can get you a 2012. They're not really making many. 8(

[e] As long as you don't want Cabo Bronze 8)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I commented on a separate thread about the 2013 models and my experience. I highly recommend getting the 2013 model over a left-over 2012 model. I drove the old model and it really, in my opinion, does not compare favorably with the new model. But that's must my two cent's worth. I took delivery on mine about two hours ago, replacing my five month old Tucson.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts